Nurse refuses 21-day quarantine

Maybe I've missed it, but has there been this much mis-informed talk on AD about the doctor in NY who was not quarantined but was self-monitoring himself and when he developed the fever immediately went to the hospital? If not, why not. Because the nurse is a woman? Because she knew the routine (to self monitor) and refused to be subjected to unnecessary quarantine?

I see no reason she needs to be quarantined because others are misinformed about the contagiousness of ebola.

If everyone who goes over to help in Africa is subjected to this, then people will stop going over to help. Is that what Americans want?
That's OK if they want to help Ebola patients in West Africa or even in America.

For example, if next day or the day after next day health officials find that she has Ebola, what about her boyfriend who lives with her? Should he be put in 21-day quarantine or not? He already touched every doorknobs she touched in their house. No? because he doesn't get sick yet?

Anyway, it's treatable as two American nurses who tested positive for Ebola have recovered during 21-day quarantine. That's good news.

That's OK if they want to help Ebola patients in West Africa or even in America.

For example, if next day or the day after next day health officials find that she has Ebola, what about her boyfriend who lives with her? Should he be put in 21-day quarantine or not? He already touched every doorknobs she touched in their house. No? because he doesn't get sick yet?

Anyway, it's treatable as two American nurses who tested positive for Ebola have recovered during 21-day quarantine. That's good news.

It's NOT that contagious! Touching the doorknobs for the past 20 days is not going to make him have Ebola if she shows symptoms on the 21st day.

Everyone is more likely to get the flu & thousands will die from the flu, but we don't quarantine people who "might" have the flu. We don't quarantine people who exhibit flu symptoms. We don't quarantine people who we know have the flu.

Get a grip people.

It's NOT that contagious! Touching the doorknobs for the past 20 days is not going to make him have Ebola if she shows symptoms on the 21st day.

Everyone is more likely to get the flu & thousands will die from the flu, but we don't quarantine people who "might" have the flu. We don't quarantine people who exhibit flu symptoms. We don't quarantine people who we know have the flu.

Get a grip people.

Yes, I agree with you.

Too many crazy members in this forum, just like drivers in DC metro is crazy too. :lol:

Get a grip people.
Isn't it possible that you have Ebola in your body but it's not fully developed? So if you touch a doorknob, your bodily fluid is there (that's how fingerprints are analyzed by forensic scientists). Can underdeveloped Ebola be transferred to your mom if she touches the doorknob? If so, that's a concern. Don't you think so?

Isn't it possible that you have Ebola in your body but it's not fully developed? So if you touch a doorknob, your bodily fluid is there (that's how fingerprints are analyzed by forensic scientists). Can underdeveloped Ebola be transferred to your mom if she touches the doorknob? If so, that's a concern. Don't you think so?

Everything that I've heard has been that you are not contagious UNTIL you show symptoms.

no. ebola is infectious once you show a symptom. not before...

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs103/en/
Symptoms of Ebola virus disease

The incubation period, that is, the time interval from infection with the virus to onset of symptoms is 2 to 21 days. Humans are not infectious until they develop symptoms. First symptoms are the sudden onset of fever fatigue, muscle pain, headache and sore throat. This is followed by vomiting, diarrhoea, rash, symptoms of impaired kidney and liver function, and in some cases, both internal and external bleeding (e.g. oozing from the gums, blood in the stools). Laboratory findings include low white blood cell and platelet counts and elevated liver enzymes.

Everything that I've heard has been that you are not contagious UNTIL you show symptoms.

Contagious = easily spread to general population like measles and influenza because these are airborne.

Infectious = easily infected from incredibly small amount like zombie blood splatter :lol:

So Ebola is extremely infectious but not very contagious.

Contagious = easily spread to general population like measles and influenza because these are airborne.

Infectious = easily infected from incredibly small amount like zombie blood splatter :lol:

So Ebola is extremely infectious but not very contagious.

What if a zombie has Ebola ?

FEAR, the one shared quality that makes humanity a herd animal.

With structures like that, no wonder they're nasty.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 13
I agree, this whole episode has been ridiculous with misinformation and is rather irritating.

So glad the judge ruled in her favor, so everyone, just move along, nothing to see here!!:lol:

Your glad? I want you to move in with every person that comes from these areas and see how nervouse you get. I want you to witness someone who has the virus to see how you feel about this nurse after.
This is not a game and as a healthcare professional (and she is not a professional after the BS she pulled on this) you are obligated to do everything you can to prevent others from getting ebola even if it means a simple 21 day quarantine.

Misinformation? Yes lots of misinformation on this but its better to be safe than sorry. No one really knows enough about Ebola. You and this nurse and her followers are doctors and scientists now? You know everything about Ebola do you? Even the smartist scientist and doctors of the world today admit there is alot of unknowns here. She should have followed protocal simple and plain as that. She wants money so she can retire and never have to work again-simple as that- I DO KNOW THIS WOMAN and she is not your friend or mine. Yes, I am from that town-everybody hates her there. Her reasons for doing this are purely selfish.

Now I hear her roomate in Africa has or has had Ebola, she lied to CDC. I hope she loses this case and I hope she never gets another job as a nurse again. There is no need for this shamefull embarrasing and humiliating crap. Even US Troops in Africa are going through quarantine as we speak. I also pray to god that the town of Fort Kent drives her but out of town and hopefully Maine. I hope she moves in your state.

Yes, I agree with you.

Too many crazy members in this forum, just like drivers in DC metro is crazy too. :lol:

The flu has vaccination, Ebola does not, the flu does kill every year but mostly those with weakened immune systems. Ebola is much more deadlie than the flue and can kil those even with immune systems at its best. Stop comparing Ebola with the flu. because there is none other than a few similiar symptoms.

Whats crazy is bringing a virus to a country that had zero cases for many years and not taking as much precautions as necessary to keep it from spreading in the event you do show symptoms. Not enough information on this to say for sure that it cant spread unless you show symptoms. Are we really going to trust an ignorant nurse, a lwayer and some judges on a subjeect matter that they know little to nothing about?

If so, please call this nurse and invite her and all her friends coming from that area in Africa to live with you :)

Quoted from CFR.org-

How many people might be affected?hThe U.S. Centers for Disease Control published a report in early October that projected that as many as 1.4 million people could become infected with Ebola by January 2015. The report assumes that for every person who has reported his or her infection, 1.5 have not; the report also projects that the number of people infected will double every twenty days, but notes that if at least 70 percent of them are kept in Ebola treatment units that reduce disease transmission, the infection rate will eventually slow.

(Not that contagious huh?)

Quoted from CFR.org-

How many people might be affected?hThe U.S. Centers for Disease Control published a report in early October that projected that as many as 1.4 million people could become infected with Ebola by January 2015. The report assumes that for every person who has reported his or her infection, 1.5 have not; the report also projects that the number of people infected will double every twenty days, but notes that if at least 70 percent of them are kept in Ebola treatment units that reduce disease transmission, the infection rate will eventually slow.

(Not that contagious huh?)

it's not as contagious as flu. flu has already killed millions of people while ebola has killed only mere thousands.

that trajectory is grossly overestimated but that's ok because it's actually safer to overstate it than to understate it... cuz nobody will get fired that way. but FYI - that projection is only limited to Africa.

overstate - if it was less than what was estimated... nobody gets fired. they get a pat on their back because they consider it as mission accomplished even though the estimation was ridiculously unrealistic

understate - if it was more than what was estimated.... heads will roll and there will be bunch of fingerpointing and blaming even though it was virtually impossible to come up with correct estimation. but then.. does it matter? if it looks bad, then it looks bad cuz that's just a dirty stupid politic.

The flu has vaccination, Ebola does not, the flu does kill every year but mostly those with weakened immune systems. Ebola is much more deadlie than the flue and can kil those even with immune systems at its best. Stop comparing Ebola with the flu. because there is none other than a few similiar symptoms.

Whats crazy is bringing a virus to a country that had zero cases for many years and not taking as much precautions as necessary to keep it from spreading in the event you do show symptoms. Not enough information on this to say for sure that it cant spread unless you show symptoms. Are we really going to trust an ignorant nurse, a lwayer and some judges on a subjeect matter that they know little to nothing about?

If so, please call this nurse and invite her and all her friends coming from that area in Africa to live with you :)

OMG, it never ceases to amaze me how stupid you are. :shock:

Hate to say, LoveBlue's statement is accurate and her statement backed by medical communities so where are your source to support your claim based on medical communities, not hysteria nor nonsense from group think that Ebola can spread via airborne.

Flu kill more people than Ebola, also some people, including me cannot take flu shot due to allergies or bad medical reaction.

it's not as contagious as flu. flu has already killed millions of people while ebola has killed only mere thousands.

that trajectory is grossly overestimated but that's ok because it's actually safer to overstate it than to understate it... cuz nobody will get fired that way. but FYI - that projection is only limited to Africa.

overstate - if it was less than what was estimated... nobody gets fired. they get a pat on their back because they consider it as mission accomplished even though the estimation was ridiculously unrealistic

understate - if it was more than what was estimated.... heads will roll and there will be bunch of fingerpointing and blaming even though it was virtually impossible to come up with correct estimation. but then.. does it matter? if it looks bad, then it looks bad cuz that's just a dirty stupid politic.

That's true, Ebola is HARD to spread and we need have extremely poor sanitation like Africa for Ebola to spreading like crazy.

We don't have much slums as Africa and most of slums gone after New Deal era removed many of slums.

no. ebola is infectious once you show a symptom. not before...

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs103/en/
I understand but let me give an example.

Once a person shows a symptom that s/he has Ebola, how did s/he get the virus?
From an infectious person through bodily fluid contact? Right? So the new virus ("baby" virus) starts to develop in her/his body in 2-21 days, it can be anywhere in the bodily fluid during development. Isn't it possible? In other words, is the "baby" virus (not yet fully developed) not infectious as the fully developed one that causes those symptons?

Last edited:
OMG, it never ceases to amaze me how stupid you are. :shock:

Hate to say, LoveBlue's statement is accurate and her statement backed by medical communities so where are your source to support your claim based on medical communities, not hysteria nor nonsense from group think that Ebola can spread via airborne.

Flu kill more people than Ebola, also some people, including me cannot take flu shot due to allergies or bad medical reaction.
Be nice! You told me to be nice many times, now it's my turn. :lol:

Be nice! You told me to be nice many times, now it's my turn. :lol:

Not really, cdaigle430 insult me by told me to have people with Ebola in my area.

Medical communities blows your statement, anyway.

Back