No one in Texas wants to hire an interpreter!

What about someone like my father who had a heart condition which made it difficult for him to walk?

Sure if he had difficulty walking.

The blind shouldn't have difficulty walking though, unless they have differant problems too so I don't know why they think the blind need this. That's why I don't have it. My dad and my uncle Dennis both have heart condition but luckily they are both fairly fit.

Sure if he had difficulty walking.

The blind shouldn't have difficulty walking though, unless they have differant problems too so I don't know why they think the blind need this. That's why I don't have it. My dad and my uncle Dennis both have heart condition but luckily they are both fairly fit.

Some blind people like myself have problems with balance and difficulty walking on ice. If I chose to continue living here in Wisconsin, I'd get a placard and wouldn't feel at all guilty about it.

Some blind people like myself have problems with balance and difficulty walking on ice. If I chose to continue living here in Wisconsin, I'd get a placard and wouldn't feel at all guilty about it.

You are correct that some blind people have problems with balance and I would encourage you to get a placard. It is in your rights to do so and I am happy you would not feel guilty because you should not.

It is always an individual basis. Those with health problems should be encouraged to get a placard because they don't want to overexert themselves.

I spoke for myself as an individual basis and I could never speak for others because they have a right to the placard. If someone tried to speak for others, I would advise the person to reconsider their opinions because they do not know the extent of the condition and so on.

You are correct that some blind people have problems with balance and I would encourage you to get a placard. It is in your rights to do so and I am happy you would not feel guilty because you should not.

It is always an individual basis. Those with health problems should be encouraged to get a placard because they don't want to overexert themselves.

I spoke for myself as an individual basis and I could never speak for others because they have a right to the placard. If someone tried to speak for others, I would advise the person to reconsider their opinions because they do not know the extent of the condition and so on.

I want to make sure I don't misunderstand something. the placard that you lovely gals are talking about is the disabled parking card, right?

:ty: Mrs Bucket.

I get so tired of some blind people who try to speak for all of us. No one speaks for me. I speak for myself.

The blind shouldn't have difficulty walking though, unless they have differant problems too so I don't know why they think the blind need this.

If you choose not to use a placard that's your choice dreama, but that does not give you the right to speak for the blind population as a whole.

:ty: Mrs Bucket.

I get so tired of some blind people who try to speak for all of us. No one speaks for me. I speak for myself.

I can understand the frustration HearAgain.

I could not speak for anyone because I wouldn't want anyone to speak for me as well.

One person's voice shouldn't be for the community. Everyone has their own voices and it needs to be heard.

A placard is important for a blind person and a blind person has a right to it. It is very important during winter time, imagine the snowbanks and trying to maneuver around it.. a driver may not see you because you didn't have a placard.

Imagine walking a few cars down to a store with no lights around you and a car swerves around you, definitely not good!

This is where I advocate for your disability rights because later on it will be my disability rights that I have to advocate for.

I can understand the frustration HearAgain.

I could not speak for anyone because I wouldn't want anyone to speak for me as well.

One person's voice shouldn't be for the community. Everyone has their own voices and it needs to be heard.

A placard is important for a blind person and a blind person has a right to it. It is very important during winter time, imagine the snowbanks and trying to maneuver around it.. a driver may not see you because you didn't have a placard.

Imagine walking a few cars down to a store with no lights around you and a car swerves around you, definitely not good!

This is where I advocate for your disability rights because later on it will be my disability rights that I have to advocate for.

Exactly.

The bolded statment is what makes you such a great advocate for the DB community Mrs Bucket. :D

Mrs Bucket,

I have a similar beef with the NFB (National Federation of the Blind) here in America. They claim to speak for blind people, but they do not speak for me.

I admire the goals of the NFB, but I do not agree with them speaking on behalf of all blind people.

For example, they are opposed to truncated domes on sidewalks and talking street lights.

My opinion on the subject if is you don't think you need them, then don't use them. Simple as that.

Mrs Bucket,

I have a similar beef with the NFB (National Federation of the Blind) here in America. They claim to speak for blind people, but they do not speak for me.

I admire the goals of the NFB, but I do not agree with them speaking on behalf of all blind people.

For example, they are opposed to truncated domes on sidewalks and talking street lights.

My opinion on the subject if is you don't think you need them, then don't use them. Simple as that.

I have not had experience in this area Hear Again.
Seriously? The NFB opposing the street safety measures?
Wow, that is wrong.

Mrs Bucket,

I wish we had NFB here in Britain. I find that the NFB's philosophy has helped me a great deal.

At the same time I find bumps in the road very useful. Because I am Deaf and blind and I lack auditory clues that may make them unnceessary for some people. The NFB aren't so aposed to vibrating street crossings.

Maybe if they gave disabled parking to blind with aditional impairments who needed them the NFB wouldn't mind so much.

They mind because there is an assumsion that just because someone is blind they need these things. They don't.

I don't think anyone really speaks for those with multiple impairments. If you have aditional balance problems then go ahead and use disabled parking, but to routinely give it out to blind people without any aditional impairments in my view is wrong because it gives people the views that the blind are helpless and incapable. An atttude I'd like to chalange. I am sick of people calling the police everytime I go the wrong way. To me it's imporant to raise the immage of blind people so people think we are capable.

I wish we had NFB here in Britain. I find that the NFB's philosophy has helped me a great deal.

At the same time I find bumps in the road very useful. Because I am Deaf and blind and I lack auditory clues that may make them unnceessary for some people. The NFB aren't so aposed to vibrating street crossings.

Maybe if they gave disabled parking to blind with aditional impairments who needed them the NFB wouldn't mind so much.

They mind because there is an assumsion that just because someone is blind they need these things. They don't.

I don't think anyone really speaks for those with multiple impairments. If you have aditional balance problems then go ahead and use disabled parking, but to routinely give it out to blind people without any aditional impairments in my view is wrong because it gives people the views that the blind are helpless and incapable. An atttude I'd like to chalange. I am sick of people calling the police everytime I go the wrong way. To me it's imporant to raise the immage of blind people so people think we are capable.

The NFB's mantra is "The NFB is not an organization speaking for the blind, it is the blind speaking for themselves."

I strongly disagree with that mantra. The NFB DOES speak for me because they are the ones who have fought against talking street lights, truncated domes and even guide dogs.

I have not had experience in this area Hear Again.
Seriously? The NFB opposing the street safety measures?
Wow, that is wrong.

You can read all about it by doing a Google search for "Braille Monitor." If you read their online articles, you can see plenty of information which supports their opposition to talking street lights, truncated domes and guide dogs.

You can read all about it by doing a Google search for "Braille Monitor." If you read their online articles, you can see plenty of information which supports their opposition to talking street lights, truncated domes and guide dogs.

They are NOT against guide dogs. I'm on several NFB lists so I should know. Some NFB members have guide dogs themselves. They are just against the missconceptions surounding guide dogs. Given people's reactions when I said I was going to use a cane from now on, I can understand why. I'm against people thinking the dog takes us everywhere too. People need to understand that if your mind goes elsewhere so generally does the dog. It's not a four footed minder.

I also know some people who are too dependant on their dogs because they don't learn alternative cane routes. So while I've been a guide dog myself once and may go back to it in the future I think it's very important NOT to be too dependant on your dog. I think that's what NFB are trying to get accross.

Yes some people from NFB are against talking street crossings though but not so much about the vibrating ones which are more discreet and help deafblind people too.

They are NOT against guide dogs. I'm on several NFB lists so I should know.

I'm on the same lists you are dreama and yes -- the NFB *is* against guide dogs. Just read the long article that was written about guide dogs vs. canes in the Braille Monitor several years ago. They outlined all of the negatives about guide dogs while praising cane use. If the NFB weren't opposed to guide dogs, they would have written an article which listed the pros and cons of each without making one form of mobility look better than another. The NFB certainly is not fair and balanced when it comes to their views on guide dogs vs. canes.

The NFB's mantra is "The NFB is not an organization speaking for the blind, it is the blind speaking for themselves."

I strongly disagree with that mantra. The NFB DOES speak for me because they are the ones who have fought against talking street lights, truncated domes and even guide dogs.

But they are speaking for themselves. They are all blind people with possitive atitudes which is what I really like about them. They help me keep up a possitive attitude too.

The fact is neither of us are just blind. We're blind as a package deal so what goes for people who are just blind doesn't neccessarily go for us.

Since they aren't saying that they speak for the deafblind, the blind and epileptic, blind and autistic, Blind with mental health issues or blind with additional mobility/balance issues then what they are saying in their mantra is just fine. Since they don't mention blind with aditional problems like us.

I don't know about you but I WANT people to think I'm capable as a blind person. With or without a dog.

I'm on the same lists you are dreama and yes -- the NFB *is* against guide dogs. Just read the long article that was written about guide dogs vs. canes in the Braille Monitor several years ago. They outlined all of the negatives about guide dogs while praising cane use. If the NFB weren't opposed to guide dogs, they would have written an article which listed the pros and cons of each without making one form of mobility look better than another. The NFB certainly is not fair and balanced when it comes to their views on guide dogs vs. canes.

I've read everything they have to say about dogs, and I still don't think they are anti dog. I just think some guide dog handlers don't understand what their possition is.

They should be promoting cane route more since cane's are for everyone (including guide dog handlers). I think NFB is against is this notion that we can't manage without our fluffy dogs. I've been up against that atitude a lot since I've retired Jilli. Because for the moment I'm using a cane. Some guide dog owners (or ex guide dog owners) have no problem with the NFB atttitude towards dogs. Simply because we use our dogs but we arn't DEPENDANT on them. I think it's the depancy and the misconceptions that the NFB are against. Not the use of dogs per say.

Back