no cussing club, would you still cussing or not?

I don't think it's a sociologcial statement. Some people don't swear because it they say is a sin or not very classy. Some people swear some of the time, like if they get their thumbs smashed by hammers. And some people swear all the time.

Ha ha ha, my brain is falling out, too.

One word I remember morphing from Old English is "schijten," not a curse word, but meaning excrement. In Chaucer's Canterbury Tales (Middle English) it was "shitten," but still not cursing. Now the shortened version is a curse, but its past tense, "shat," is not considered all that bad.

Go figure.

Indeed, and I have not seen an explanation for this based on 'normal' logic... so it must be a sociological phenomenon, which I do not understand well.

Haha I am so messed up I can't even write properly... I wish i could sleep...

Honestly, I am not a swearing person... I do not feel like to swearing anything... It's me... Maybe I was being raised by strict aboarding school... *shrug* I spend a long years at aboarding school than at home.

At my old time, most said "you bitch" - few "f*** off"... or "f**king"... most *s**t*... that's all, not too extreme like what I saw everywhere in the world... like TV, etc.

My way is *:roll: shake my head and walk off :roll:* I keep myself quiet and talk insult things to my brain myself, not open to the public or in the house...

I do cuss when I have a hot flaring temper. :dunno2:

Haha, yeah.
I don't do this, as I think it is harder to do if you don't speak, (I have to sign or write... none of the words I am able to actually speak are swear words, I don't even know how they sound)

But even in sign, or writing, if I am very angry I will 'stammer' in my thought process, and it will take longer to find words, though I typically don't choose swear words without thinking of them first. But I can understand why one would. Things can become harder to express when upset, so it is easier to choose a 'filler' word, kind of like the saying 'a picture is worth a thousand words'... I feel a swear word is worth a thousand connotations. And actually, I find them interesting, as there can be a logic behind a lot of them, there is a 'swearing vocabulary' of sorts, and certain 'unwritten rules' in their usage, which I find interesting... they are not only impromptu filler, you have to 'know how to swear'... because you look even more silly if you don't, especially among those who are 'experienced' with swearing.

Indeed, and I have not seen an explanation for this based on 'normal' logic... so it must be a sociological phenomenon, which I do not understand well.

Haha I am so messed up I can't even write properly... I wish i could sleep...

Jenni ... here is a link which may interest you, with 6 steps regarding swearing -

Howstuffworks "How Swearing Works"

Jenni ... here is a link which may interest you, with 6 steps regarding swearing -

Howstuffworks "How Swearing Works"

Wow, such a good read!!
Thank you! That clears up a lot of things for me. I was thinking pretty much along these lines, but to me the way I think is 'intuitive', it does not translate into words very well. But now that I see the words, it makes a whole lot of sense.

Back