no cussing club, would you still cussing or not?

Furthermore, I feel that many have an excessive aversion to swearing, due to stylizing themselves as a 'haughty intellectual', and that such inflexibility is completely unnecessary.

Oh, so according to you, most of us oldies are ‘haughty’ just because we were brought up the old-fashioned way? Anyone who chooses not to swear does not have to be haughty. We are in a world adapting to progress but we have the freedom to choose of not using vulgar language.

Oh, so according to you, most of us oldies are ‘haughty’ just because we were brought up the old-fashioned way? Anyone who chooses not to swear does not have to be haughty. We are in a world adapting to progress but we have the freedom to choose of not using vulgar language.
I said 'many'. And it is true.
Did I say 'you'? No, I did not.

There are people out there who think someone who swears is a complete dirt bag, and the manner which they associate with them is very condescending.
I find this offensive, as they could be talking to one of the nicest people in the world, who would give you their shirt right off their back, but are seen as 'undesireable' simply because they use some curse words.

Did I say passive-aggressive? Yes I did.

Me? I think you should look up those words... I was in no way passive agressive. Defensive, yes, because an unnecessary assumption was made about my statements, which was in itself, defensive (without reason).

Me? I think you should look up those words... I was in no way passive agressive. Defensive, yes, because an unnecessary assumption was made about my statements, which was in itself, defensive (without reason).

Did I say passive=aggressive. Yes I did.
Did I say you. No I did not.

It cuts both ways. Remember that.

Did I say passive=aggressive. Yes I did.
Did I say you. No I did not.

It cuts both ways. Remember that.

Why are you trying to start things with me?
Please, don't. I do not want to get in trouble, thank you.

Why are you trying to start things with me?
Please, don't. I do not want to get in trouble, thank you.

Why did you start a big argument to my statement in a different thread this morning? If you can't take it don't dish it out.

Why did you start a big argument to my statement in a different thread this morning? If you can't take it don't dish it out.

It was not a 'big argument'.
You are reading way too much into what I say.
I felt the need to clarify something there, because it was important to me. There was no offensive intent, only a desire to discuss, and reason, just as in my above post.

It was not a 'big argument'.
You are reading way too much into what I say.
I felt the need to clarify something there, because it was important to me. There was no offensive intent, only a desire to discuss, and reason, just as in my above post.

Nonsense!! But I no longer talk to you. Be as obnoxious a little child as you want.

Well, not a day goes by i dont cuss...Where i work, pretty much everyone including me cusses..flippin the bird etc.but i do try to watch my language around childrens.

There are people out there who think someone who swears is a complete dirt bag, and the manner which they associate with them is very condescending. I find this offensive, as they could be talking to one of the nicest people in the world, who would give you their shirt right off their back, but are seen as 'undesireable' simply because they use some curse words.

Let me see if I can get this straight. You find it offensive for people to choose not to allow swearing in classes they teach, in workplaces, in their homes, and in front of their families or any children?

Who cares if those people have offsetting qualities? I'm sure some dirtbags and serial killers are kind to animals and send cards to their mothers, but their behaviors around me and mine determine how I treat them.

Discrimination against cursers? That's hilarious. Your argument makes absolutely no sense and is like several on other threads, disagreeing just to be disagreeable. Good luck with that tactic.

Let me see if I can get this straight. You find it offensive for people to choose not to allow swearing in classes they teach, in workplaces, in their homes, and in front of their families or any children?

Who cares if those people have offsetting qualities? I'm sure some dirtbags and serial killers are kind to animals and send cards to their mothers, but their behaviors around me and mine determine how I treat them.

Discrimination against cursers? That's hilarious. Your argument makes absolutely no sense and is like several on other threads, disagreeing just to be disagreeable. Good luck with that tactic.

I don't get you. You seem intent to see it your way and blindly ignore everything else. Your tone is also very combative to me.

I never said any of what you just said. If you had bothered to read my previous posts (did you?) you would already know what my views are on swearing.

I do think it is inappropriate in school, church, in front of children, and in homes where it is not appreciated.

And it has nothing to do with serial killers, that comparison is WAY off.

But, I guess just because I will use or write a cuss word or two, with control, among people who I know don't have a problem with it, and not in a school, or a church, or in front of kids, that makes me a dirtbag serial killer who is not worth talking to. Hmm?

Edit:
Allow me to revise.
I try to show that they are 'filler' words which depend on the situation, usage, and connotation: ignored.

I try to demonstrate that some people can swear, no matter their vocabulary: ignored.

I try to clarify that words themselves are benign until they are given a meaning: ignored...

People seem hung up on "swearing is bad! do not swear! it's bad! it might mean you have a poor vocabulary!" yet I see nothing to support this, other than more and more opinions and personal attacks meant to discredit (can you say 'straw man'?).

I'm sure there are several reasons different individuals curse. Rebellion, kids trying to shock each other and the older generation. Association and habit, if friends curse a lot or if certain words spring to the lips again and again without thinking. Ignorance, as some just don't know any better or care who might view the words and context as offensive or blasphemous.

I recall a study at Idaho State's graduate school of phychology that tried to tie cursing with lack of vocabulary. The premise was something like: Since Aleut peoples have nine distinct words for degrees of "snow," they don't need curse words to fill in for "bad" snow. But if the vocabulary is lacking, then speakers tend to fill in curse words for negative meanings.

Many teacher I know don't curse because anyone with any agenda can report it as offensive, so they tend to search for more appropriate words. Again, it seems to boil down to vocabulary -- and how the speaker chooses to have words perceived.
There are a lot of substitute words for swear words.

damn = darn
hell = heck
god = gosh
shit = shoot

Gosh darn it! What the heck? Oh shoot!

It does help if you try to think before you swear depending on where you are. When you learn to control your swearing, you can say the right words at the right time.

For instance, I swear... but I don't swear like 1 or 2 swear words in every sentence I use. I've seen some people do that cuz they think it makes them "cool" and "all that". It actually makes them look stupid as if they don't know anything else to say. :roll:

My parents don't swear. Since they're religious, I respect that. So, I don't swear in front of them. That's why I use those substitute words when I'm talking with them... but not too often cuz I don't want them to think that I think of those words too much. ;)

There are a lot of substitute words for swear words.

damn = darn
hell = heck
god = gosh
shit = shoot

Gosh darn it! What the heck? Oh shoot!

It does help if you try to think before you swear depending on where you are. When you learn to control your swearing, you can say the right words at the right time.

For instance, I swear... but I don't swear like 1 or 2 swear words in every sentence I use. I've seen some people do that cuz they think it makes them "cool" and "all that". It actually makes them look stupid as if they don't know anything else to say. :roll:

My parents don't swear. Since they're religious, I respect that. So, I don't swear in front of them. That's why I use those substitute words when I'm talking with them... but not too often cuz I don't want them to think that I think of those words too much. ;)

This is exactly my point I have been fighting for. It is not about the words, it is about how much you use them, and when.

However, I still don't understand 'substitute' words...
If you are going to say heck, you may as well say hell, because the intent is there, and people know what you mean anyway... I just don't get it.

I don't get you. You seem intent to see it your way and blindly ignore everything else. Your tone is also very combative to me.

I do get you. You believe you can say anything you please, blindly ignore others' ideas, see combative tone in others, and then deny, deny, deny . . . although no one else should . . . then plead you're a misunderstood, fair person.

Passive-aggressives have such nice delusions.

I do get you. You believe you can say anything you please, blindly ignore others' ideas, see combative tone in others, and then deny, deny, deny . . . although no one else should . . . then plead you're a misunderstood, fair person.

Must be nice.

It is not nice at all!
And I do not 'blindly ignore others ideas'.
And what have I denied???

If you hate me so much, let me know, and I'll just give you a reason to ban me off the forum. Sound fair?

This is exactly my point I have been fighting for. It is not about the words, it is about how much you use them, and when.

However, I still don't understand 'substitute' words...
If you are going to say heck, you may as well say hell, because the intent is there, and people know what you mean anyway... I just don't get it.
Well, some people take their own religion seriously and don't believe in swear words.

My parents are one of them. Since they don't believe in swear words, I show them respect by not using it. The same goes for the rest of my parent's families. (I do have cousins that swear. I swear with them.)

My parents are the same with alcohol. They are against alcohol. So, I don't drink in front of them. :)

It's just a matter of respect.

Back