Nissan Versa, Toyota yaris, Dodge Caliber?

deafwelder

Reaction score
Does anyone own a hatchback? I am considering one for a new car, probably later this year. I know they will be hard to work on as there isn't much space under the hood. Anybody have gripes or problems with any model?

I don't know what you have now or your experience on working on cars in general. If you think you would enjoy work on any of them---especially newer models, go for it.

Wirelessly posted (sent from a smartphone. )

There are lot of websites that have reviews on the car especially the customers themselves. You can try test driving them as well. I've driven Nissan Versa, Toyota Yaris and Chevy Caliber at my work. I would say the Toyota Yaris is the best in overall. The Chevy Caliber had cvt auto trans, lot of mechanics hate that.

Last edited:
I don't plan on working on a compact

I currently have a 12 year-old softtop Jeep. Easy to work on. Plenty of room under the hood. Never had to work on the transmission, except fluid change. Terrible mileage though and cool in the winter, hot in summer. No security either.

I go with Sequoias.... would pick Toyota Yaris.... reason? Few problems. 2nd choice is Nissan Versa, last Dodge Caliber... (hey sequoias, Chevy Cobalt not Caliber)....

I own a 2007 Toyota Yaris Hatchback (5 Doors). I like the car myself, it has served my needs very well over the years.

I go with Sequoias.... would pick Toyota Yaris.... reason? Few problems. 2nd choice is Nissan Versa, last Dodge Caliber... (hey sequoias, Chevy Cobalt not Caliber)....

He said Caliber....probably best comparison is the Cobalt.

I wouldn't recommend the Cobalt or the Caliber... Cobalt is terrible car and kind of boring car. I don't like how it drives, too. You could also consider Honda Fit, it's also good. You are probably looking for a 5 door hatchback, right? Toyota Matrix is nice but they no longer make it, I believe.

I own a 2000 Honda Civic EX coupe myself. It's very reliable and cheap to operate in general.

I wouldn't recommend the Cobalt or the Caliber... Cobalt is terrible car and kind of boring car. I don't like how it drives, too. You could also consider Honda Fit, it's also good. You are probably looking for a 5 door hatchback, right? Toyota Matrix is nice but they no longer make it, I believe.

I own a 2000 Honda Civic EX coupe myself. It's very reliable and cheap to operate in general.

Honda is pretty great if you ask me. Quality-wise, that is. About the Matrix, I think there is a 2012 model, I'm not sure if it's out yet. I saw a product information sheet for it a while ago.

Honda is pretty great if you ask me. Quality-wise, that is. About the Matrix, I think there is a 2012 model, I'm not sure if it's out yet. I saw a product information sheet for it a while ago.

Had to double check, yeah they still sell the Toyota Matrix, my bad. I live in the land of American cars, mostly older ones. When I lived in Seattle and in the West US, foreign cars are very common that's why I don't see much to see around here. It's kinda like "nothing to see here" state of Iowa. I have to say this state is a culture shock.

Had to double check, yeah they still sell the Toyota Matrix, my bad. I live in the land of American cars, mostly older ones. When I lived in Seattle and in the West US, foreign cars are very common that's why I don't see much to see around here. It's kinda like "nothing to see here" state of Iowa.

There are tons of Honda and Toyota cars here. The irony is that there is a GM plant here in the city.

There are tons of Honda and Toyota cars here. The irony is that there is a GM plant here in the city.

Really? That's pretty weird! When I visited Detroit metro area in Michigan, there were so many american cars there. VW were very rare sight there, even the Hondas. Of course, you know Detroit is famous for the Big Three.

My daughter and SIL liked their Nissan Versas (they had two). The only fault with them was that the wheel covers fell off easily and disappeared on the interstate.

My daughter and SIL liked their Nissan Versas (they had two). The only fault with them was that the wheel covers fell off easily and disappeared on the interstate.

It's common for most steel wheel. :giggle: Should get aluminum wheel then don't need wheel covers and it looks better.

SMART car

My parents have one.

Ummmm.....to summarize....it was designed to be very basic transportation in Europe. Some CEO here in the US had a great idea, let's take this cheap basic car, add all the usual Housewives-of-Beverly-Hills-style bling and slap a $18K sticker on it.

Not worth the money, IMHO. Cute, but spend your $18K on something better and gets the same mileage.

If it came with the EU-spec diesel that gets 70MPG, it would be worth it, but not the Mitsu 1.0 litre 3 cylinder that redlines at only 6000RPM.

The Highlander said:
Reba said:

It's common for most steel wheel. :giggle: Should get aluminum wheel then don't need wheel covers and it looks better.

Most? Not true. Many cars have wheel covers bolted with wheel lug nuts so you don't lose it. My car has the orginal wheel covers since it was brand new.

Last edited:

Most? Not true. Many cars have wheel covers bolted with wheel lug nuts so you don't lose it. My car has the orginal wheel covers since it was brand new.

Similar to GM cars/ trucks.

Back