Next generation ear implants?

dn4540-1_839.jpg

Keeping it in place may be the hardest part. You have 2 nerves passing through the internal auditory canal (7-facial and 8-hearing and balance). I'd be curious to see if the implant has the potential to cause issues with the the balance portion of the 8th nerve. Hearing and holding onto walls doesn't sound like a great alternative.

Keeping it in place may be the hardest part. You have 2 nerves passing through the internal auditory canal (7-facial and 8-hearing and balance). I'd be curious to see if the implant has the potential to cause issues with the the balance portion of the 8th nerve. Hearing and holding onto walls doesn't sound like a great alternative.

Agreed. This is getting into an area of neurosurgery that is extremely exacting, and as such, has the potential for many complications.

Indeed. That's why I'd be a bit leery of undergoing this surgery.

it would be awesome if CI allow to make wireless or actual plug to any device to hear.

it would be awesome if CI allow to make wireless or actual plug to any device to hear.

I think it is possible. My friend has just had her work purchase a Microlink Freedom device which allows her to have wireless contact with appropriate wireless devices such as phones, FM systems, Television and MPeg3 players. It's a bit expensive though!

Here is the link for more information
MicroLink Freedom™

I assume that Advanced Bionics have something similar (Boult? Yoo hoo!)

Yes, the Harmony has receivers available that work with any of Phonak's FM system. I'm told Oticon is working on making their FM systems compatible with the Harmony; don't know if it's compatible with the Freedom or not.

I think it is possible. My friend has just had her work purchase a Microlink Freedom device which allows her to have wireless contact with appropriate wireless devices such as phones, FM systems, Television and MPeg3 players. It's a bit expensive though!

Here is the link for more information
MicroLink Freedom™

yes see this; http://www.alldeaf.com/790412-post37.html for link to list of all earhooks

that calls it "Auditory Brainstem Implant".
No, that's different. The ABI has been around for awhile, and is mostly for acustic nuromas and for people with no coachla.
The thing being talked about in the OP, is still not even in human trials yet

Sorry, I know this is old but I did a search and typed up this response before I realized the date so I figured I would post anyway.

Yes, the abi has been around for many years. The ABI is a cochlear nucleus auditory prosthesis based on microstimulation. The team leading the edge on abi research is at the House Ear Institute in LA, California headed by Bob Shannon. There is a new form of ABI called the PABI, or Penetrating Auditory Brainstem Implant. The ABI uses surface electrodes where as the PABI actually injects the electrodes. Actually the PABI has injected and surface electrodes just in case the penetrating electrodes don't work properly. The idea is that you will get better sound range and speech understanding. I was the third person in the world implanted with a PABI. As of my last trip to LA in July PABI #10 was just implanted. At this time no more people are allowed to be implanted until the FDA says so. The original grant was for 10 people. Both the ABI and PABI are Cochlear corporation products. These devices are for people with damaged nerve. Speech understanding is not near as good a ci, but it is better than nothing. I am having my acoustic neuroma on the left side removed on November 1 and I will have an ABI implanted on that side. They are interested to test differences between the two devices as compared by the same individual - me. They are also interested to see if there are any benefits. The surgery wasn't bad. The PABI was installed at same time as tumor removal. Actually this was my easiest and shortest surgery. This surgery was only about seven hours and I was only in the hospital for 4 or 5 days. My second shortest surgery was 13 hours, so this surgery is not bad at all. Headaches after surgery are common and temporary but sometimes permenant facial paralysis is expected. Hope this answers some questions.

Sorry, I know this is old but I did a search and typed up this response before I realized the date so I figured I would post anyway.

Yes, the abi has been around for many years. The ABI is a cochlear nucleus auditory prosthesis based on microstimulation. The team leading the edge on abi research is at the House Ear Institute in LA, California headed by Bob Shannon. There is a new form of ABI called the PABI, or Penetrating Auditory Brainstem Implant. The ABI uses surface electrodes where as the PABI actually injects the electrodes. Actually the PABI has injected and surface electrodes just in case the penetrating electrodes don't work properly. The idea is that you will get better sound range and speech understanding. I was the third person in the world implanted with a PABI. As of my last trip to LA in July PABI #10 was just implanted. At this time no more people are allowed to be implanted until the FDA says so. The original grant was for 10 people. Both the ABI and PABI are Cochlear corporation products. These devices are for people with damaged nerve. Speech understanding is not near as good a ci, but it is better than nothing. I am having my acoustic neuroma on the left side removed on November 1 and I will have an ABI implanted on that side. They are interested to test differences between the two devices as compared by the same individual - me. They are also interested to see if there are any benefits. The surgery wasn't bad. The PABI was installed at same time as tumor removal. Actually this was my easiest and shortest surgery. This surgery was only about seven hours and I was only in the hospital for 4 or 5 days. My second shortest surgery was 13 hours, so this surgery is not bad at all. Headaches after surgery are common and temporary but sometimes permenant facial paralysis is expected. Hope this answers some questions.

Wow, interesting.

Thanks for educating us about the ABI. People around here have asked about it in the past but until now there has been no users on the board. Did you have acoustic neuroma on both hearing nerves which then caused the damage to the hearing nerve?

I for one, am very happy that science is coming up with all sorts of devices that assist with defective senses.
I wish they already had ANI or hair cell regeneration years in production.
Life threw me such a curve and I like it that way.

Fuzzy

Did you have acoustic neuroma on both hearing nerves which then caused the damage to the hearing nerve?

Yes, I had acoustic neuromas on both nerves. The one on the right side had to be taken out in January 2004, thus causing me to lose hearing on that side. During that surgery the PABI was installed on that side. I was PABI #3, there are now 10 of us. Coming up on November 1, 2007 I will have the one on the left side taken out. Luckily I can still currently hear out of the left side. The tumor had damaged my balance nerve, so my balance sucks, but until the tumor is taken out on November 1 I will be able to hear out of left side.

I have CI from Med-el and I been doing just fine for almost 3 years now. One CI is enough for me. I would not want to have two CI. But I do hope they will come up with a new way to help deaf to hear without using CI. But I have heard a great deal that they might use stem-cells to help the deaf to hear one day. I think that a long way to go for that one.

Back