Next generation ear implants?

I'm not worried as I'm pretty happy with the results I have. I've always known I was deaf and had nothing to lose, as I'd lost most of my hearing, so it's not like the CI really changed anything.

If you are always waiting for something better in life, you'll be waiting forever, afraid to grasp anything out of fear that you might miss something later on.

Well put R2D2.

Another thing to consider is that whatever the technology,HA, CI, ANI or Haircell regeneration , the brain still has to adapt to it. The brain might not adapt as well 5 to 10 years down the road after being deprived of sound for so long.

No it's not a bad thing. The newer developments are simply better tools for us to work with and diversify our skills. I think it would be quite some time before something as good as natural hearing is developed - probably coming from the stem cell thingy area.

Well the attitude out there that I percieved is that deafness is such a bad thing and that they cant wait for a cure. For me, I dont know what to make of it cuz with the right attitudes and some adjustments, it doesnt have to be a bad thing. I guess hearing people just cant imagine what it is like to be in our shoes and dont understand why many of us are cool about being deaf. I just get the feeling that they expect us to adopt to their views and hate being deaf instead of the other way around. However, thanks to many high school offering ASL classes, more hearing people have a better tolerance and understanding of deafness than before.I guess doctors are a different breed, heh?

Yea, the stem cell thing or genetic modification..

Good things come to those who wait!

What if the technology or medical procedure is so good to help reduce deafness in 5 to 10 years from now?

Has it occurred to anyone that people with cochlear implants would be considered more "Deaf" than they wish to be?? All because the old CI surgeries ruined their best shot for improved hearing?

Now, who is laughing here? I'll bet the people with CIs aren't!

Interesting observation.

Well the attitude out there that I percieved is that deafness is such a bad thing and that they cant wait for a cure. For me, I dont know what to make of it cuz with the right attitudes and some adjustments, it doesnt have to be a bad thing. I guess hearing people just cant imagine what it is like to be in our shoes and dont understand why many of us are cool about being deaf. I just get the feeling that they expect us to adopt to their views and hate being deaf instead of the other way around. However, thanks to many high school offering ASL classes, more hearing people have a better tolerance and understanding of deafness than before.I guess doctors are a different breed, heh?

Just one more form of eugenics. Thank you Hitler and Alexander Graham Bell!

as natural hearing is developed - probably coming from the stem cell thingy area.
On the other hand, stem cell is still very ambigious as a cure or treatment. It might effectively cure deafness, but then again, it might not. There's also the fact that humans have never been able to cure disabilty. Disease YES............disabilty no. Plus I mean genetic fiddling about might fuck up things even more. Like maybe the genetic mutation that causes hearing loss, might protect against something else........like maybe deafness was an adaptive mutation or something.

If it's just been tested on animals then it doesn't really garantee it working on humans. :pissed:

Just look at all the 'cures' for cancer that worked on animals and failed miserably on people.

Even if it DID work I would have nothing to do with anything that was tested on an animal because neither hearing or sight is worth another animal dying for! :pissed:

:gpost:

Well the attitude out there that I percieved is that deafness is such a bad thing and that they cant wait for a cure. For me, I dont know what to make of it cuz with the right attitudes and some adjustments, it doesnt have to be a bad thing. ...

No, it is not a bad thing but for some of us we know what we are missing and we prefer to hear. On top of that, some of us have gotten the hang of the hearing world a long time ago and why should we be denied our day in the sun? I will say it again (about medical advances)...bring it on!!!

Have Your Taste In Music Changed Since You Got Implanted?

Delete this post please. It was meant to be a new thread.

Last edited:

I don't hate being deaf and none of the people here on AD who also have CIs write posts on how much they hate themselves and how they must conform to being hearing people. They come across as pretty intelligent, confident and generally happy people to me. They also don't seem that concerned about what others do or what choices they make.

I simply welcome more choices and tools for deaf people. Its that simple.

Just one more form of eugenics. Thank you Hitler and Alexander Graham Bell!

Are you talking about hair stell regeneration alone or about all technological tools for deaf people?

I don't hate being deaf and none of the people here on AD who also have CIs write posts on how much they hate themselves and how they must conform to being hearing people. They come across as pretty intelligent, confident and generally happy people to me. They also don't seem that concerned about what others do or what choices they make.

I simply welcome more choices and tools for deaf people. Its that simple.

I wasn't referring to ADers...nobody I know hates being deaf but the people who aren't deaf seem so surprised that my friends and I are cool about it. Why r they surprised? Like they were expecting us wanting to be hearing or us hating our deafness.

I wasn't referring to ADers...nobody I know hates being deaf but the people who aren't deaf seem so surprised that my friends and I are cool about it. Why r they surprised? Like they were expecting us wanting to be hearing or us hating our deafness.

I don't find their reaction surprising. It's normal to love what you're used to and hearing people have a lot of interests and loves based on hearing e.g. music appreciation, using the phone easily, functioning in large groups etc. I don't think we can expect people to understand our point of view unless they've lived it.

I'm not worried as I'm pretty happy with the results I have. I've always known I was deaf and had nothing to lose, as I'd lost most of my hearing, so it's not like the CI really changed anything.

If you are always waiting for something better in life, you'll be waiting forever, afraid to grasp anything out of fear that you might miss something later on.

I think most ci users share the sentiments expressed by R2D2. There will ultimately always be something better than today but they are thankful that they have what was best for her then.

Interesting though that this "argument" is always advanced by people who did not take advantage of the technology yesterday, are not taking advantage of it today and will never take advantage of it tomorrow.

I think most ci users share the sentiments expressed by R2D2. There will ultimately always be something better than today but they are thankful that they have what was best for her then.

Interesting though that this "argument" is always advanced by people who did not take advantage of the technology yesterday, are not taking advantage of it today and will never take advantage of it tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

and your point is? Sometimes people just dont want to and u know what? That is ok too.

see first post in this thread regarding other article

ANI = auditory nerve implant for short eh :D

Really? We got a big poster to put up in our OC Fair booth next month that calls it "Auditory Brainstem Implant".

Richard

"Auditory Brainstem Implant".

In Australia, they performed this procedure on a young girl last month, I believe. Have no idea if it's successful or not. Apparently it works like CI, but more deeper, I guess.

I posted about this in Deaf News Thread.

In Australia, they performed this procedure on a young girl last month, I believe. Have no idea if it's successful or not. Apparently it works like CI, but more deeper, I guess.

I posted about this in Deaf News Thread.

Auditory Brainstem implants are for people who don't have a functioning auditory nerve. CI's would be useless for them, as it needs a functioning auditory nerve to work.

I understand that ADIs aren't as well established as CIs. Not many such surgeries are carried out.

Back