Newly discovered HOH-ness

xtreemjedi

Reaction score
So i'm Justin. I'm 26 and just found out EVERYONE I know does NOT mumble... lol. Had my hearing test friday. I've been wondering what was wrong and just kinda faking conversations for a long time. Not sure how long i've been hoh. I'm total new to all this stuff.

So i'm Justin. I'm 26 and just found out EVERYONE I know does NOT mumble... lol. Had my hearing test friday. I've been wondering what was wrong and just kinda faking conversations for a long time. Not sure how long i've been hoh. I'm total new to all this stuff.

Hello. :wave:

Total new, huh?

Sounds familiar to someone else.

Hey welcome!

I giggled at your not everyone is mumbling statement. :)

lol, glad it made sense what I was trying to say.

It's been frustrating working and stuff where ppl yell stuff out and I'm always "what???" "how much?" "say it again!". Its brought me a little peace of mind to know that there is at least a reason for it.

lol, glad it made sense what I was trying to say.

It's been frustrating working and stuff where ppl yell stuff out and I'm always "what???" "how much?" "say it again!". Its brought me a little peace of mind to know that there is at least a reason for it.

Yeah. Some days I used to think everyone was mumbling too, forgetting I can't hear haha. Did you get hearing aids?

psh, ya like I can afford that. They said I would really benefit from them, but I just cant spring it now. also idk if I can justify $3k on that when thats worth more than my truck hahaha.

psh, ya like I can afford that. They said I would really benefit from them, but I just cant spring it now. also idk if I can justify $3k on that when thats worth more than my truck hahaha.

Haha yeah they are SO expensive. In Canada we get $500 from our Ontario Health Insurance Plan for each hearing aid. Then they still cost $4000 after that. If only they were more affordable like eyeglasses or something.

At least now you can just ask people to face you or whatnot. :)

Yeah I havent even asked someone to do that yet, like this is so new. I been just coping with it without having realized that I was different until the last couple years I started to wonder

Sorry if that's a little personal haha.
I've always wondered how some people end up with hearing loss when they don't have any family members with it (that's like me).

Wonder what kind of truck you got? You would trade truck for hearing aids, haha

I tried that and gave up when i realized that I could sell my car and STILL not have enough for the new aids I needed. Then I'd be out my car and still trying to save more. Fortunately someone recommended vocational rehab. SO now I'm getting new aids that will work with the amplified stethoscope I need for nursing school.

OP, Have you considered your state's vocational rehab department? Just google "[state] vocational rehabilitation" and you should get info on how to apply. I had to attend a group orientation and then I was assigned a counselor who assessed my need and determined my qualification for voc rehab. They got all my pertinent medical records, but would have set me off for an exam at their cost if I hadn't already paid out of pocket for a new audiogram and hearing aid assessment.

Sorry if that's a little personal haha.
I've always wondered how some people end up with hearing loss when they don't have any family members with it (that's like me).

I don't consider it personal. And no, none in my fam that I know of but I will be making inquiries. I had alot of ear infections as a baby and young child, also my mom says I would never cry so she didn't know I had one till it was like super bad. Also i've had alot of head-injuries which i've heard can contribute.

Wonder what kind of truck you got? You would trade truck for hearing aids, haha

Not trade, cause like willknit I would still owe haha. It's not even a truck in the sense that it has a bed. But with a GM 10 bolt front axle, GM 12 bolt rear w/lsd, borg warner x-fer case with selectable 4wd, ect. ect. I consider it a truck haha.

I tried that and gave up when i realized that I could sell my car and STILL not have enough for the new aids I needed. Then I'd be out my car and still trying to save more. Fortunately someone recommended vocational rehab. SO now I'm getting new aids that will work with the amplified stethoscope I need for nursing school.

OP, Have you considered your state's vocational rehab department? Just google "[state] vocational rehabilitation" and you should get info on how to apply. I had to attend a group orientation and then I was assigned a counselor who assessed my need and determined my qualification for voc rehab. They got all my pertinent medical records, but would have set me off for an exam at their cost if I hadn't already paid out of pocket for a new audiogram and hearing aid assessment.

I've not heard of that. I will be researching that. I have no insurance so everything is outta pocket, and I just got a job TODAY, so I'm severely broke lol. But if I could get some kind of assistance, that would be phenomenal.

welcome to Alldeaf and yea, vocation rehab is a good place to start! :)
I've been hard of hearing for a long time actually.

Well I checked on the vocational rehab. She had to be the least helpful person I spoke to all day. Basically being hoh and needing hearing aids isnt enough disabilities, i would be put on a waiting list and could expect to not get any help for at least a few years. She told me to try lions club. The lions club said I have to come by mon morn and fill out an app and thats all he said. So we'll proceed from there i suppose. however the rehab chick DID give me a number to a place called "audient"? supposed to help get me hearing aids alot cheaper, around 50%. so thats something at least.

Hey Extreem...
I just found out about my hearing loss too. People. Seemed to talk lower every year. I'm tired of trying to hear...going ASL ASAP. Still a long way to go though!

Ive been thinking about asl. My sister actual knows asl and got all excited and was like you gonna learn? idk, I can still hear, just not well. idk what I think about that, idk who id be talking to.

I guess I see ASL as another option. It won't help at work, but I can still cope...probably always will be able to cope. Socially I have a choice. I'm sick of trying so hard to hear ...what's the point. There is a large dhh community in DC where I live, so hopefully I'll be able to communicate with other dhh folks.

yeah, I live kinda in bumpkin land so idk if theres much of one here. plus i'm not 'deaf', idk how its percieved being hoh.

idk i'm like mild-moderate hoh and i'm still wondering if learning asl or getting hearing aids is overkill or being like a hypocondriac or legitimate. I dont' even know anyone thats had a similar situation, which is why I'm on here. anyone been in a similar situation? what did you choose?

Back