Newly discovered HOH-ness

yeah, I live kinda in bumpkin land so idk if theres much of one here. plus i'm not 'deaf', idk how its percieved being hoh.

idk i'm like mild-moderate hoh and i'm still wondering if learning asl or getting hearing aids is overkill or being like a hypocondriac or legitimate. I dont' even know anyone thats had a similar situation, which is why I'm on here. anyone been in a similar situation? what did you choose?

since I was mild-moderate in both ears and I had hearing aids while learning some ASL *I was only a baby lol* so I choose both.

Hey Extreem...
I just found out about my hearing loss too. People. Seemed to talk lower every year. I'm tired of trying to hear...going ASL ASAP. Still a long way to go though!
I understand you have tried on hear news pretty ASL

Ive been thinking about asl. My sister actual knows asl and got all excited and was like you gonna learn? idk, I can still hear, just not well. idk what I think about that, idk who id be talking to.
you exciting to happy ASL :) do you know how ASL experience !

I guess I see ASL as another option. It won't help at work, but I can still cope...probably always will be able to cope. Socially I have a choice. I'm sick of trying so hard to hear ...what's the point. There is a large dhh community in DC where I live, so hopefully I'll be able to communicate with other dhh folks.

not worry I think so you best to take an process communication to dhh lots of communication
do you have trouble communication d/hh hard to how social how skills sign language!

Thanks Smithtr, I appreciate the encouragement. I haven't met many dhh people since I began learning ASL, but I'm sure it would be frustrating to talk to a student -slow with bad grammar and a limited vocabulary. I'm actually less confident knowing a little ASL than none at all...guess I know what I don't know.

You have to know more than me! I know sunrise, thank you, and like 5 letters of the alphabet hahaha

I don't think that hearing aids is overkill, if they will help you then I say go for it. It's better than straining so hard to hear IMO. I know when I strain to hear it really wears me out. As far as ASL goes, I think it's good to learn it just to learn it in general...you never know when you might need it. Plus think how great it would be if you came across another deaf/HOH person and were able to sign?? :) Just food for thought. I mainly rely on lip reading myself and my hearing dog. BTW I'm 29 welcome to All Deaf and I am new here as well. :)

Thanks Smithtr, I appreciate the encouragement. I haven't met many dhh people since I began learning ASL, but I'm sure it would be frustrating to talk to a student -slow with bad grammar and a limited vocabulary. I'm actually less confident knowing a little ASL than none at all...guess I know what I don't know.

your welcome I understand I hope be i encourage to you I would be vocabulary I think so new bit basic improve! I hope be you learn it ASL, struggle! limit on word I hope be help you word. I can help teach you words ASL!

• ASL • American Sign Language

ASLPro.com Home

https://signingonline.com/references/dictionary

or

I can help visual sign language fast communication !

Back