Newby,1st post- Major depressed

Tracker

Reaction score
Hi all,
I've lurked this site for awhile, but this is my first post. Just got back from my 60th job interview, out of 300 apps, in the last year. Am really bummed! It was at a major cabinet manufacturer in my area. Even though I told them of my hearing loss (80% both ears) When I did the interview with the supervisor in the plant with all the noise, I was lucky to make out 50% of what he was saying. I really looked foolish!
I feel like I'd be better off being totally deaf as to being only part deaf. I feel like I'm in a limbo area. I've lost most of my hearing friends in the last 3 years, as my hearing loss has progressed from the 50% loss level.
I've tryed to keep up a good face about it sometimes it really kicks my ass. Like today!!! Is this a normal response ? Even with my hearing loss at 50%
I've always gotten along with minimal problems. I lost my last job when my hearing got bad enough that a group of employees ( I named them "The Vicious circle")would call my name behind my back and when I didn't respond, they told management that I was ignoring them. This escalated till I lost my job. ( I did fight and got unemployment for 15 months)
Whats sad to me was the fact that I was for 8 years one of the most productive employees in the shop. The last year the most productive!
It seems it was not about the job I did, but about getting along in the "Hearing world". I feel so alone now, frustated and confused, even suicidal, trying to find work in a hearing world sucks!!

sorry, Tracker......

Tracker, I am very sorry to hear about your frustrations. :( I know you will get resources and support from us.

I am glad that you are at the right place, Tracker.

:hug: :hug: :hug:

Aww tracker!! first of all welcome aboard! ;) secondly.. sorry to hear about your frustrations.. you will meet many members who have experienced pretty much the same thing too .. i am one of those too.. (sigh)..
as you go along with us here in AD.. you will recieve support and get resources, etc.. and no you are not alone in this at all!! so keep your chin up pal! many :hug: to you!

im sorry to hear that. those people need to follow ADA laws. by the way, welcome to alldeaf!

:wave: welcome to AD Tracker -- enjoy ur stay! :D

u will find that many of us members have gone thru the same battles as u have :hug:

Umm

I don't think that the ADA is doing enough for us.

I think we Deaf people and other people with disabilities
need to stand up... go to Washington DC
and tell the government...
that we are tired of being discriminated....

And it sad that they fired you because you can't hear well.

I think most of us disability people, who can work, need to tear up
our disability checks... and tell the people in USA, that
we are tired of getting handouts... and we need
jobs.... We need to have a big big giant Disability festivals...
so that we can sell our stuff, from foods, ttys, balloons, small rides, to shirts..... Get people to support us.

How about like Disney World and Disney Land,
How about a DISability WORLD and DISability LAND....

We can have a deaf snow white or something like that.

Fun for all people and children with disabilities to come together
and have fun.

I want to cheer up everybody, especially Tracker. :ily:

Tracker, that definitely is not right.

I don't know about the laws in your area, but from what I know around her, somebody with 80% loss in both ears is to be treated as deaf. That would mean to me that the interview taking place in the shop, with the noise, and expecting you to be able to respond orally would be completely inappropriate.

Keeep up trying bud, after 60 interviews, I think that shows a work ethic that is rare these days. You will find an employer that values that ;)

Tracker,

Contact your local Vocational Rehabilitation offices for help in getting a job. They are supposed to work with employers to help them understand how to employ people who require certain accomodations. They may hook you up with CSD for further support.

Hang in there!

Steve

Hello Tracker,

First of all, Welcome to AD.com!!!

Secondly, I commiserate with you, I know how you feel. It's discrimiation that's what's getting the best of us. At least you should consider yourself lucky that you just came from your 60th job interview and for me, in the last 5 years, I have gone on about 5 interviews... I average 1 interview per year and that's very bad. No matter who it is, where it is and how I apply for it, I still can't get an employer to be interested in me. It may be because I do not have experience but in the past I have mentioned on my resume and cover letter that I am deaf, then I felt that it might be why I haven't gotten any interviews since, so I stopped saying "I'm deaf (or hearing impaired)" on the cover letters and took out the word "deaf" on my resume. It still yield no responses and I had my resume revised a zillion times. When I went to these interviews, they would be somewhat uneasy around me and treat me like I do not know this or that. It is very frustrating that when they treat me like that and they do not know my potential skills. My teachers, my friends and my family told me that I have remarkable skills and they could not believe how much I know about this and that and to this day, they are astounded and surprised that I can't even find a job. They kept telling me to look hard and keep a positive mind about it. They would even tell me that the people who didn't hire me, are a**holes because they are looking beyond my skills and they're looking at my deafness as a handicap that could mar their workplace.

Now I'm working with Vocational Rehabilitation and this job agency, Capabilities Inc., that help people in general find jobs and I'm working with someone who's very good at finding job leads but she realized how hard it is for me to find one.

My point in this is that even I am looking hard for a job, I do not let it get the best of me, even though it may be very frustrating. Keep a positive attitude and hang in there!

By the way, I'm surprised and shocked that you lost your job because you lost your hearing... I'm not well familiar with the law and the ADA but isn't there something that you can do like sue the company for firing you on false pretenses (ignoring your co-workers while they knew you are deaf or they are aware of your hearing being depleted) or discrimination because you are deaf? While you were working with that company, did you go for an audiology test and the audiologist show you your audiogram? If so, did it show that you have 80% hearing loss? If it is during the time you worked with that company, you should have showed that to the company and tell them that you lost your hearing and it is proof enough that you have not been ignoring your co-workers. If you did and they decided to dismiss you, then that's wrong, in my opinion. I would strongly suggest you consult this with a lawyer that has a strong, working knowledge of the ADA. Ask for free advice and see what the lawyer would advise you to do.

I also agree with canuk, you should have not been in that place where there's loud noise because it's not fair to you if you are able to understand words with the aid of your hearing aid, the interview should have been taken place somewhere else like in the conference room. Never think you are foolish or feel foolish, it is the interviewer's fault for making you feel like that. Rule of thumb for designing things; If you design something for the consumer, and the consumer do not understand how to use it, it is not the consumer's fault, it is your fault for not making it simple, easy-to-use and obvious for the consumer.

Don't be discouraged, keep fighting and research the ADA and be aware of what you can do and what you can expect. If you become more aware of what's going on around you, you can take advantage of that and turn the table around. You will see how powerful you are with the knowledge of ADA and the law... Hmm I should do the same thing for myself. I only know some of the ADA but I am aware of what is happening and if I felt violated, I would speak with a lawyer.

try lying

How I got my job at Kmart....

I knew she wouldn't hire me... she was like, "Well I call you..."

I interrupted her, and said I am pregnant.And the interviewer was looking at my belly.
And asked me how long am I, I said I was 3 months.

And she said, "You are hire... all I need you to do is sign this paper...
and we'll get you on the payroll tomorrow, can you come work tomorrow?"

I said, "yes". :D

but anyway... I quit the job... few months later. I can't hear the customer, when I was working as a cashier. And I was scare that I might meet her again
one day.. and she'll fired me for lying. :Ohno:

But it was worth a try. That was my first first real and last job I ever had.

Thank you all for the replys and support. Sorry to have unloaded that on the board yesterday, but after that interview I had just reached the end of my rope and needed to vent it somewhere.

Today is a new day and I must climb back on my horse and search for something good to focus on. Can't dwell on days like yesterday - Bad for my health!

cheers, Tracker

Tracker said:
Today is a new day and I must climb back on my horse and search for something good to focus on. Can't dwell on days like yesterday - Bad for my health!

cheers, Tracker

Love your attitude! Keep it up! :)

Tracker said:
Thank you all for the replys and support. Sorry to have unloaded that on the board yesterday, but after that interview I had just reached the end of my rope and needed to vent it somewhere.

cheers, Tracker

thats ok.. we have had many ppl vent out in here.. even a lot worse than you.. believe me!! you are not alone here.. we are here to hear you out and try to support you as much as we can..

and you got a great attitude there!! wish some other members did!! (sigh) keep it up!! :thumb: :hug:

Hi Tracker ,

I do know how you feel, and I'm glad you decide to post this to vent out your feelings, this is the right place to do so, and we are here to support you and listen to whatever situation it may be....btw I like your postive attitude!!!

Welcome to AD and enjoy your stay here! ;)

Tracker,

I can image on how you feel..

don't give up, keep in faith.. Everyone here knows the feeling.. Some of the poster gave good link and advices...

TTT, that's not a wise!

Wendy

Hello and welcome to Alldeaf Tracker! I'm sure that with all the efforts you have been giving must be quite discouraging, yet, there's bound to be an employer out there that's willing to give you the chance to utilize the abilities and talents you do possess...you're rebounding in a postive way after having a 'setback'...you WILL find something soon, I just have that 'hunch' you will--and I sure wish you all the best that you do find something really soon--just keep your spirits up and hang in there!

Also, enjoy your stay here as well!!

Hi Tracker, I am also new here, however I am not deaf, one of my best friends is and she takes alot of bull from alot of people out there. People descriminate over so many different things, my brother keeps looking for a job however alot of places won't hire him because he is bald, and it makes him appear much older than he is. Sometimes people will find any reason for not hiring someone, maybe because you are too fat, or to short, or to tall or you can't hear or you can't walk, whatever reason it is their loss for not having you as their employee.

Maybe you could start some type of business on your own or with a friend
Maybe I am not much help I'm sorry, but sometimes people make me sick. THey never think of hurting peoples feelings, or if it was their own family member being rejected. You hang in there you WILL find a job with someone who will appreciate you for you!!!!!!!!:)

Cupcake said:
Hi Tracker, I am also new here, however I am not deaf, one of my best friends is and she takes alot of bull from alot of people out there. People descriminate over so many different things, my brother keeps looking for a job however alot of places won't hire him because he is bald, and it makes him appear much older than he is. Sometimes people will find any reason for not hiring someone, maybe because you are too fat, or to short, or to tall or you can't hear or you can't walk, whatever reason it is their loss for not having you as their employee.

Maybe you could start some type of business on your own or with a friend
Maybe I am not much help I'm sorry, but sometimes people make me sick. THey never think of hurting peoples feelings, or if it was their own family member being rejected. You hang in there you WILL find a job with someone who will appreciate you for you!!!!!!!!:)
i agree with this post... same goes with my father.. he had a hard time finding a job.. his feeling is that companies isn't hiring him cuz he's in his 60's.. pretty stupid heh?

anyway Welcome aboard.. and enjoy learning, posting, playing and so on :cool:

Back