New Person, SSDI question

In a nutshell, if you worked more than 5 years, go for SSDI, you will get more monthly money and good benefits.. If you get SSI, you will struggle and penny pinch to survive month to month since SSI have a very low max you can get..

TEW so what is the outcome ? did you throw the 2 way radio out the window ? lol
Keep us posted...

Hello I'm new to this site. I have a couple of questions I hope some of you may be able to help me with. First off, I'm 45m, Born HOH. Worked all my life. My hearing has steadily gotten worse over the years. I now have a profound hearing loss. I wear Phonak 413AZ with a little success, mainly a lot of lipreading. I lost my job of 20 years about a year ago and cannot seem to find another job. I went to a lot of interveiws, but no job offers. My speech is not that great. I'm considering applying for ssdi. My Hearing loss is greater than 90 decibels in both ears. My speech recognition is zip, without lipreading. According to my file, if I was determined to be disabled, I could get 2100.00 a month from ss. I think I could possilby draw my retirement from the previous job of 20 years. The thing is, I'm not sure if I will be determined disabled. I'm in great shape other than my ears. I would really like to draw, go back to college, get another degree in a different field, then get off ssdi. Anyone drawing ssdi with a similar hearing loss? Do you think I can get ssdi?

Ok.
I have not read replies, so I hope my post is not redundant, but here is what I know.

Honestly, it is anyone's guess whether you can get it or not. It depends on how you are reviewed and how the case is handled.

They do have a list of 'disabilities' that they accept more than others, and I am not sure what is on it, but I do know they will also look at how your hearing loss effects you, what your previous job training is, and if you still can have 'gainful employment' without difficult retraining or poor life quality (too much stress, difficult to get or keep a job, etc)

'Gainful employment' is a key thing in ss cases, and work history. For example, if you were a carpenter for 20 years, and knew nothing else, and lost your legs in an accident, you could probably get SSD because being able to stand and move well is important to carpentry. But if you were a lawyer, or had a desk job, you would be less likely to get it because it doesn't prevent you form doing those jobs as much as it would limit you in carpentry.

That might be a bad example because I think a case like that might be 'automatic' to a certain level, but it shows how it can work, I think.

Oh, and your plan to go back to school may be helpful, they might even assist you in doing that.

Here, from ssa.gov:

How We Decide If You Are Disabled, continued
Disability Planner Home Skip Disability Planner links
How to Qualify
How to Apply
You're Approved
Other Factors
Family Benefits
Benefit Calculators

Is your condition found in the list of disabling conditions?

For each of the major body systems, we maintain a list of medical conditions that are so severe they automatically mean that you are disabled. If your condition is not on the list, we have to decide if it is of equal severity to a medical condition that is on the list. If it is, we will find that you are disabled. If it is not, we then go to Step 4.

Can you do the work you did previously?

If your condition is severe but not at the same or equal level of severity as a medical condition on the list, then we must determine if it interferes with your ability to do the work you did previously. If it does not, your claim will be denied. If it does, we proceed to Step 5.

Additional information about Step 4.

Can you do any other type of work?

If you cannot do the work you did in the past, we see if you are able to adjust to other work. We consider your medical conditions and your age, education, past work experience and any transferable skills you may have. If you cannot adjust to other work, your claim will be approved. If you can adjust to other work, your claim will be denied.

Or go here How You Qualify for Social Security Disability Benefits: Disability Planner

Back