New Person, SSDI question

Can you fluency speak like hearing people? Do you need an interpreter? If it is yes.. so, that mean - hearing people did not catch your 100% accurately pronounce words when you talk.

I can and do not need an interpreter. I can speak just as if I was a hearing person.

Sorry for the off-topic TEW.

Well guess what. Looks like I will be going back to work Monday. We're going to have to figure out the two-way radio bit. I don't really know what they have planned. They told me not to worry about it. (??) It's a 75 mile round trip commute, but I'm not complaining. Just thankful to be employed again.. Wish me luck!

That's a great news for you! :fingersx:

ssi /dis

TEW

What you are describing is exactly where I am. I could not find another job so I applied for SSDI and return to college. The state of Illinois is paying me to get my BS degree.

I just talked to another deaf friend who was recently laid off. He was too proud to get on SSDI even though he could not find a job. I told him,

I am on SSDAC. It's okay! I used to have SSA. It's no longer. It's changed to SSDAC now.

SSDAC mean Social Security Disabled for Child and Adult. Like I lost my dad when I was 15. I am honest with you. I don't like all SSDI, SSI, SSDAC's rules. I am getting marry soon. My ssdac will go cut my money down. I have to fill out for SSD. That's sucK!

I know what's SSD is but at end with AC?? What's it stand for and what kind of help would it be?

Thank you for explaining what does it mean. I appreciate your response back. Ofc no one should like to live on any funds but it was necessary when some need to survive at least for temporary!

SSDAC mean Social Security Disabled for Child and Adult. Like I lost my dad when I was 15. I am honest with you. I don't like all SSDI, SSI, SSDAC's rules. I am getting marry soon. My ssdac will go cut my money down. I have to fill out for SSD. That's sucK!

You're welcome anytime. :) No problem at all.

Thank you for explaining what does it mean. I appreciate your response back. Ofc no one should like to live on any funds but it was necessary when some need to survive at least for temporary!

sorry if I missed it somewhere, what is different between SSI and SSDI?

how did it go, TEW .. ?

I never experience with SSI and SSDI. But I am on SSDAC now. I used to have SSA before. You can find who have a SSDI, SSI, SSD stand for. :)

how did it go, TEW .. ?

You payed into the system.....go thru Social Security....might as well go for the ssdi and they will direct your claim to ssi if ineligible for the ssdi....the same claim just gets transferred. Possibly ask your adiologist if your loss qualifies you for the ssdi.
It's really not an extended time to go thru ssdi first..........it's all just one process....in the end run.....you have to wait for the claim to kick in anyway.

Out of curious, what kind of work you do for this company of 20 years?

Hello I'm new to this site. I have a couple of questions I hope some of you may be able to help me with. First off, I'm 45m, Born HOH. Worked all my life. My hearing has steadily gotten worse over the years. I now have a profound hearing loss. I wear Phonak 413AZ with a little success, mainly a lot of lipreading. I lost my job of 20 years about a year ago and cannot seem to find another job. I went to a lot of interveiws, but no job offers. My speech is not that great. I'm considering applying for ssdi. My Hearing loss is greater than 90 decibels in both ears. My speech recognition is zip, without lipreading. According to my file, if I was determined to be disabled, I could get 2100.00 a month from ss. I think I could possilby draw my retirement from the previous job of 20 years. The thing is, I'm not sure if I will be determined disabled. I'm in great shape other than my ears. I would really like to draw, go back to college, get another degree in a different field, then get off ssdi. Anyone drawing ssdi with a similar hearing loss? Do you think I can get ssdi?

SSDI is Social Security Disability Insurance - The monthly SSDI is based on your earned work credit you earned in lifetime. The higher credit you get, the more $$ you get.

SSI is Supplemental Security Income - The amount is the same nationwide. However, many states add money to the benefit.

When I was young adult without job and was in college, I had both SSDI/SSI - it helped but not enough, I think it was like around $500/mo since I didnt have any earned work credits. Today, if I claimed SSDI, it probably would be neighbor of $1500 to $2000 due to 10+ years of full time job.

wow.. that's a lot. for SSDI.

for any age? I think I heard it's only for retired consumers.

We did not try very hard to fight ourselves for successful our career at the private industries and federal government agencies. They look down at us to pity us because we can't hear. Hello.... We are human like other hearing people. We need to educational them about the Deaf language and culture to expose hearing people to become familiar with our language. I taught ASL to my hearing colleagues. That is how, I got promotion my job because I tried very hard to educational them. Now each of the State of Commonwealth established Disabilitiy Agencies to help with Deaf people for training, school, jobs, etc... Why do we encourage high school students to stay home to collect SSI/SSDI? They look up at their parents stay home to collect SSI, the children think oh the government would support those children rest of the life. NO !! We need to teach the Deaf children how important colleges and jobs for their future.

We did not fight enough with the congressmen. They allow to support more and more forgien people who are coming to this country. Our taxes constantly go up and up billion dollars to help with forigen people. There is lack of people who speak up for provider a better training for the Deaf people's climb up their career promotion. They just sit down and feel sorry for themselves....

NO NO !! Need stop feel sorry for ourselves because we can't hear !!! We need to fight ourselves with Private Industries and Federal Government Agencies, WE CAN DO.... Expect... CAN'T HEAR AND SPEAK...

Yes we are human like everyone else but we do have a disability. It is ridiculous and selfish to try and change everyone else for our special needs like suggesting that everyone learns ASL is impossible and it will never happen unless half the population suddenly becomes deaf. Just because your colleagues took the time to even bother learning ASL from you is great, I can't even get my own mother to learn it. Yes-we should encourage everyone deaf or HOH to strive and try to become part of society-become something to be proud of but it doesn't always work. I am also HOH like the origional poster and I am losing my job this month. I also have been to many interviews only not to be called back or offered a job. I am in information technology and working on servers does not require hearing but I do need to attend meetings and I do need to communicate well. Hence all jobs in IT have the clause "excellent communications skills are required". I am not giving up but-if I can get help from SSI or go on SSDI or if a student can do the same they should not be looked down upon. Looking for working, or working as a hearing person is stressful and hard enough, when you add a disability like HOH, deafness, or blindness it makes it so much more stressful-is a persons pride for a disability really worth the stress of trying to prove your human like everyone else-NO! This should already be understood. The fact that your colleagues were willing to work with you is a rare commodity-they should be commended.

Jillo work with the deaf ??? now that made my hair stand up skeery

With some of the posts she have made .. GEESH..

Back