New headlight law in effect for Mass drivers

For you maybe, for others with poor windshield wipers maybe not. Never know what other driver is thinking/seeing. Sun can be in their face as well in bright conditions. The water can reflect stuff different.

My coworker and I see things differently when we ride together and it's interesting how our perception differ little bit. Me and you can see perfectly but what about other people on the road? I turn my light on anyways. Just a habit like seatbelt to me.

It's a good idea to turn your lights on when the sun is behind you (low when rising or setting) so oncoming traffic can see you better. Though I know this, I tend to forget to do it.

It's a good idea to turn your lights on when the sun is behind you (low when rising or setting) so oncoming traffic can see you better. Though I know this, I tend to forget to do it.

My car is getting older but one of the features I really like is that I can leave the switch for the headlights in the on position! You don't have to remember to change it as they come on and off on their own. I am not sure just the exact point they come on when starting but when shutting down it is a matter of when you shut off the engine and then open the door the lights go off as the door is opened.

California DMV:

Use your headlights as follows to increase the safety of your driving:

When it is cloudy, raining, snowing, or foggy. If weather conditions require you to use your windshield wipers, you must turn on your headlights.
On frosty mornings when other drivers' windows may be icy or "fogged."
When you have trouble seeing other cars, chances are that other drivers are having trouble seeing you, too.
On narrow country or mountain roads, using your headlights helps other drivers see you and may help you avoid a head-on crash.
When necessary to get another driver's attention.

http://www.dmv.org/ca-california/safety-laws.php

What? I didn't know. I have been living in CA for almost 30 years. Yeah, I noticed a few cars had their headlights on during rainy days so I thought that they wanted to turn them on. On streets and freeways during rainy days, million of So. CA drivers including me don't turn the headlights on unless there's heavy pour of rain which is rarely in So. CA.

What's your point? This thread is about headlights required to be turned on during rainy days on which the wipers have to be used.

In case you misunderstood me, bright light means I can see the cars, buildings, etc during rainy days. In other words, rainy days are not that dark.

I am saying the sun gaze can cause accidents . Wrong rainy days can be very darky on a cloudy and foggy day in New England and in California too.

That website is an unofficial website for DMV.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/connect/dmv_content_en/dmv/pubs/hdbk/driving_in

That's an official website of CA DMV. Please note that it shows special driving situations which are not the laws. They are just advices for CA drivers. No wonder cops don't stop me and a million of drivers for no headlights during rainy days.

I just googled CA law it is around $230 in fine it is law. Took me time to do serious digging. I think your DMV is setting you up to get easy $ if cop need tickets. Dirty business on CA dmv. I can't imagine insurance headache if no light on and in accident when required light.

Code 24400
(b) A motor vehicle, other than a motorcycle, shall be operated during darkness, or inclement weather, or both, with at least two lighted headlamps that comply with subdivision (a).
c) As used in subdivision (b), "inclement weather" is a weather condition that is either of the following:
(1) A condition that prevents a driver of a motor vehicle from clearly discerning a person or another motor vehicle on the highway from a distance of 1,000 feet.
(2) A condition requiring the windshield wipers to be in continuous use due to rain, mist, snow, fog, or other precipitation or atmospheric moisture.

I just googled CA law it is around $230 in fine it is law. Took me time to do serious digging. I think your DMV is setting you up to get easy $ if cop need tickets. Dirty business on CA dmv. I can't imagine insurance headache if no light on and in accident when required light.

Code 24400
(b) A motor vehicle, other than a motorcycle, shall be operated during darkness, or inclement weather, or both, with at least two lighted headlamps that comply with subdivision (a).
c) As used in subdivision (b), "inclement weather" is a weather condition that is either of the following:
(1) A condition that prevents a driver of a motor vehicle from clearly discerning a person or another motor vehicle on the highway from a distance of 1,000 feet.
(2) A condition requiring the windshield wipers to be in continuous use due to rain, mist, snow, fog, or other precipitation or atmospheric moisture.
Oh, I will find out when there's a rainy day, probably tomorrow to see if all drivers turn their headlights on.

Oh hahahaha, you believe there is such thing as 100% law abiding drivers in this society, you did mentioned you didn't turn of your headlight, meaning NOT everyone turns their headlights on. You already proved yourself (Failing to turn them on when required) BUT STILL want to verify? LOLOLOL Your making me laughing.

Oh, I will find out when there's a rainy day, probably tomorrow to see if all drivers turn their headlights on.

http://www.whdh.com/story/28728666/windshield-wiper-law-to-go-into-effect-tuesday

This was on the news today and it the first time I saw anything on TV about it. Crap your insurance rate could go up too. We're getting rain Tuesday too and I bet there are going to a lot of cops out in my small city looking for drivers that do NOT have their headlight on. I had not heard how much the fine will be yet .

Oh hahahaha, you believe there is such thing as 100% law abiding drivers in this society, you did mentioned you didn't turn of your headlight, meaning NOT everyone turns their headlights on. You already proved yourself (Failing to turn them on when required) BUT STILL want to verify? LOLOLOL Your making me laughing.
As you know, more people wear seat belts because they know if they don't, they get fined. What about the headlight law? If they know that they will be fined for no headlight, they will turn them on like they wear seat belts. I want to verify that cops will or will not stop us for no headlight violation. If a cop's car passes me by and doesn't stop me, that means it's ok to leave the headlights off except when it's a heavy rainstorm like this which requires high speed wipers.

uvjjwOI.jpg

Most of the times in So. Calif, we use low speed wipers (1-10 seconds delay) on rainy days (showers, light rain or normal rain). It's rarely raining so that's why the Governor wants us to cut our water use by 25%.

http://www.whdh.com/story/28728666/windshield-wiper-law-to-go-into-effect-tuesday

This was on the news today and it the first time I saw anything on TV about it. Crap your insurance rate could go up too. We're getting rain Tuesday too and I bet there are going to a lot of cops out in my small city looking for drivers that do NOT have their headlight on. I had not heard how much the fine will be yet .
Violators could be hit with a surcharge on their auto insurance policies as well as a $5 fine.
$5? That's cheap. Maybe mistype?

I miss that part when I read it , it sure does sound like mistype! I am not going to try and find by leaving my headlights off.

http://www.southcoasttoday.com/article/20150406/NEWS/150409635/101193/NEWS0301 No that is not mistype if you get a ticket your auto insurance will go up ! So the insurances are the ones to benefit from this the most and I bet the insurance company came up with this idea!

This has been a law in many states for eons. It's a safety issue. Not a money making scheme by the insurance companies. :roll:

I'm surprised MA hasn't had this law all this time.

This has been a law in many states for eons. It's a safety issue. Not a money making scheme by the insurance companies. :roll:

I'm surprised MA hasn't had this law all this time.

Mass was late to adopt seat belt mandatory in 1994 since most of states adopted in 80s and early 90s.

$5? That's cheap. Maybe mistype?

It's a gray day and it raining off and on and when I took my dog to the park I saw a lot of cars with no headlights on and a cop drove pass the cars and did nothing. I had my headlights on and I heard that we have them on a half hour before sunset and a half hour after sun rise . I am just going to put on my headlights on all the time now and not worry about getting a ticket .

You still missed my point again. Say, if there is only one cop, and he saw say 15 cars that didn't turn on headlight, what can cop do, eh? Often, cops rather stop somebody more serious than forgetting turning on headlights, say somebody going 90mph... which is going to be more important to cop?

When I was in Chicago, damn, everybody going 80MPH at that time when it was still 55MPH limit... So back to point, cop themselves do not have enough power to enforce em all every time.

As you know, more people wear seat belts because they know if they don't, they get fined. What about the headlight law? If they know that they will be fined for no headlight, they will turn them on like they wear seat belts. I want to verify that cops will or will not stop us for no headlight violation. If a cop's car passes me by and doesn't stop me, that means it's ok to leave the headlights off except when it's a heavy rainstorm like this which requires high speed wipers.

uvjjwOI.jpg

Most of the times in So. Calif, we use low speed wipers (1-10 seconds delay) on rainy days (showers, light rain or normal rain). It's rarely raining so that's why the Governor wants us to cut our water use by 25%.

So, your saying cop isn't stopping them, eh? Maybe they are too busy eating donuts.

It's a gray day and it raining off and on and when I took my dog to the park I saw a lot of cars with no headlights on and a cop drove pass the cars and did nothing. I had my headlights on and I heard that we have them on a half hour before sunset and a half hour after sun rise . I am just going to put on my headlights on all the time now and not worry about getting a ticket .

Back