New headlight law in effect for Mass drivers

People who can't afford a new car can still use common sense and turn their lights on when it rains, snows, fogs, or the sun sets. It doesn't cost anything, and it makes the roads a lot safer for everyone.

I think it's better to get hit with a fine than to be hit with another vehicle because the other driver couldn't see me.

I agree with you but there seen to a short supply of common sense these days . I turn on my headlights at dawn and dusk and keep a safe distance from cars in front of me and drivers get pissed at me for going the speed limit and start tailgating me. I really do not enjoy driving a lot today , people are too rude and angry on the road . I heard that aggressive driving has gone up and I believe it.

Others have said it ... its been a law in NC for years that anytime wipers are needed due to the weather then the headlights must be on too ... and my truck has daytime running lights AND automatic headlights ... there is a sensor on the dash near the windshield to detect the amount of light present and if it gets too dark it'll switch from the daytime running lights to headlights itself... even going through a tunnel it does ... and it doesn't have to be a newer car my old truck is a 2003 model and still has all the gadgets on it the new ones do.

Maybe people shouldn't be driving if turning headlights off and on is too hard to do.

It's easy. Turn on the lights and turn on the wipers.

My 2000 Jeep Cherokee has nothing automatic on it but it's not too hard to turn on the lights and wipers, and it's a lot safer to drive with them on.

Because too many bad drivers was too busy with smokes, talk on their mobile, drinks, eats, etc and too hard for them to turn signal on which ANNOYING ME! I saw all times.

I was referring to the "old" vs. "new" vehicle light systems.

To be honest, I didn't know that it required a law for people to use common sense for safe driving. I thought it was always taught that when it was dark, rainy, snowy, or foggy, use your lights so you can see and be seen by other drivers.

I see cars all the time driving at night without lights--it's crazy! I don't know how they see where they're going.

When it pours rain, it's also hard to see other cars if they don't turn on their lights but a lot of them don't.

I have seen that too and I can't help but wonder if the person is hoping someone will hit them then they'll put on their lights and say it was the other person fault. I call people like suicidal drivers .

It habit of mine, always turn on light on 24/7 no matter what weather condition is.

Just something that stuck to me from high school drivers Ed teacher, said accidents can happen any time of the day, the light just gives you more visibility the last minute as every second counts.

It habit of mine, always turn on light on 24/7 no matter what weather condition is.

Just something that stuck to me from high school drivers Ed teacher, said accidents can happen any time of the day, the light just gives you more visibility the last minute as every second counts.

I went to driver ED so long I can't remeber everything but I do remember being told to put my signal on when pulling away from a curb. One girl failed to do this and failed her driving test. When I moved back east I took a lesson b/c I did not drive a lot when I lived in California . The driver instructor said my driving was fine and I did not need any lessons . I use my signal when driving in parking lots too , a lot of people don't and a cop can give speeding ticket to drivers in the shopping mall in my city. I do remeber in driver Ed we had to watch a movie of real traffic accidents , I wonder if this still done today.

I went to driver ED so long I can't remember everything but I do remember being told to put my signal on when pulling away from a curb. One girl failed to do this and failed her driving test. When I moved back east I took a lesson b/c I did not drive a lot when I lived in California . The driver instructor said my driving was fine and I did not need any lessons . I use my signal when driving in parking lots too , a lot of people don't and a cop can give speeding ticket to drivers in the shopping mall in my city. I do remember in driver Ed we had to watch a movie of real traffic accidents , I wonder if this still done today.

I am surprised that you did not drive a lot in California. That state has a reputation for using cars etc. rather that public transportation and most people racking up a lot of miles. The one time I visited relatives there I was so impressed with the signs on their highways compared to Southern Illinois & Missouri around St. Louis.

The idea of driving lights in the daytime came out well after I would have taken Drivers Ed. But they made the switch from using cars with manual transmissions to automatics in the fall of 1958 (which would have been when I would have taken it in H.S.). My dad sold cars and taught a lot of people to drive over the years as part of selling the family a car. He had already taught me to drive but not a manual transmission because selling Oldsmobile, Buick & Cadillac they just didn't stock them. We got to use his demonstrator like a family car and the company had more insurance coverage on them than any individual could afford to carry. So there was no advantage for me to take Drivers Ed.

In Russia you must turn your headlights on all day even when sun is out

In Russia you must turn your headlights on all day even when sun is out
It doesn't help. Just search Russian Drivers on you tube. In Russia I think it's law that you must drink 3 shots of Vodka before driving.

When TCS visited Ukraine the practice was opposite. Drivers wanted to "save" their lights (fixtures were expensive and difficult to replace), so they drove with the lights off at night as much as possible. Also, whenever they parked in public, they removed their windshield wipers so no one would steal them. They carried cans of gas and cheesecloth filters with them because they didn't have gas stations. Sometimes the police would pull them over for a shakedown. Riding with them was an experience. :lol:

In California, when it rains.. you turn on your headlight even in day time. It's for your safety and the safety of other drivers/pedestrians.
What? I didn't know. I have been living in CA for almost 30 years. Yeah, I noticed a few cars had their headlights on during rainy days so I thought that they wanted to turn them on. On streets and freeways during rainy days, million of So. CA drivers including me don't turn the headlights on unless there's heavy pour of rain which is rarely in So. CA.

What? I didn't know. I have been living in CA for almost 30 years. Yeah, I noticed a few cars had their headlights on during rainy days so I thought that they wanted to turn them on. On streets and freeways during rainy days, millions of CA drivers including me don't turn the headlights on.
Why not?

Because it's still bright.

That's not really the point. When it's raining, especially hard, to the point that you have to use your windshield wipers, it's harder to see other cars and other cars see you. You can't deny that when it's raining, it's not AS bright as when the sun is out. The headlights provide some safety.

Visibility is diminished when it's raining. It's safer to drive with the lights on.

Is it too much effort for you and the other drivers to turn on your lights?

its pretty much law everywhere Ive been....then again, most new cars the headlights are automatic ( turns on as soon as car starts) so really no way around it .

I went to driver ED so long I can't remeber everything but I do remember being told to put my signal on when pulling away from a curb. One girl failed to do this and failed her driving test. When I moved back east I took a lesson b/c I did not drive a lot when I lived in California . The driver instructor said my driving was fine and I did not need any lessons . I use my signal when driving in parking lots too , a lot of people don't and a cop can give speeding ticket to drivers in the shopping mall in my city. I do remeber in driver Ed we had to watch a movie of real traffic accidents , I wonder if this still done today.

I didn't remember watching real accident video in my class. But I had stimulated driving course, lecture and real road practices. I do wonder what it's like now.

For you maybe, for others with poor windshield wipers maybe not. Never know what other driver is thinking/seeing. Sun can be in their face as well in bright conditions. The water can reflect stuff different.

My coworker and I see things differently when we ride together and it's interesting how our perception differ little bit. Me and you can see perfectly but what about other people on the road? I turn my light on anyways. Just a habit like seatbelt to me.

Back