New $15 Minimum Wage in Chicago?

Don't blame on MW only since gas prices, supplies prices, lease and anything else that costs them goes up are factors, too. For example, a corporate orders power cords for their products. Price for power cords increase and/or shipping rates for shipping power cords increase, therefore the prices for their products increase. MW has nothing to do with it.

MW has everything to do with it. It's a labor cost. Labor is the biggest cost in any business... typically comprises of 40-60% of the business expense.

When a corporate orders power cords for their products... the cost of power cord is dependent on cost of raw material, labor, and fuel for delivery. you forget to factor in the cost of labor to manufacture power cords and to deliver power cords to customers.

while raising minimum wage is great... we also must face the consequence. there's always a tradeoff... so the big question is....... can we survive the consequence?

OK , so you know ALL about business, go then start one of your own, and stop pretending to be a consultant with ZERO experience
nah you're dreaming MaDonalds is way way too big to be bullied to submit into abandoning such, i don't give a flying hoot
it just makes me cringe when people pretends to be experts

is there anything erroneous with what he said?

And Armored car drivers earn only $11 at the highest level and they carry a gun and can be killed in the line of duty. Meanwhile, someone flips a burger and has no education of hygiene or food management (beyond high school, if that) and spends their day "you want fries with that?" and they get $15 an hour. Let's brace for the price hike on fast foods and some businesses closing because they can't afford the workers....great idea....

You want a livable wage, don't take a students job....

Laura

We can look forward to a healthier, slimmer america too... Possibly cheaper insurance following suit as well.... No fast food means more home cooked meals.

We can look forward to a healthier, slimmer america too... Possibly cheaper insurance following suit as well.... No fast food means more home cooked meals.

I'm sure the first group to complain are the Welfare and low income group. When I taking language classes, the teacher wanted to meet on the lower level of a fast food joint because we could get a table without being bothered. I was surprised how many low earning families brought their children there to eat. It wasn't even real food, can you imagine bringing the children for that? I don't eat out because I don't trust kids and young adults to wash their hands but I'm sure if this law kicks in, businesses will start closing when they realize they can't operate a fast food joint with a profit paying this kind of wage.

LOL!! dream on.......TV and Media is SOOO POWERFUL they're not going to advertise FRozen Chicken...Oh then the bloody news about China's H1N1 might cripple that in NO time LOL

geeez

If there is widespread minimum wage set to $15/hr... there will be fewer business to survive. Higher prices passed down to consumers... it probably won't help everyone either way. Prices will go up, forcing people to pay more than they can save money. It may be harder for most people to put money into savings as people live paycheck to paycheck.

cheaper insurance... only way possible is to ask people to stop committing frauds!!!!! :mad2:

my brother just told me earlier today that he's dealing with a massive headache. his friend reversed her SUV on driveway and accidentally dented his car on the side. she apologized and said she'll pay for damage with cash.

my bro went to 2 different mechanics... the estimated cost of repair is around $1,300 and his friend's husband was throwing a hissy fit and did not want to pay that much and complained that it's overpriced and yaka yaka.... and then later blamed my bro for parking his car in a position that led to accident.

um.... o.......k...........

and then said how about pay 50-50?

um..... o.....k.......

he's refusing to give my bro an insurance information and still want to pay cash so my brother's already contacted our insurance company to contact their insurance company. if shit hits fan.... he will begin a process with a small claim court. he already have proof of admittances and "promises" to pay back as evidences.

and get this.... the reason why that ass is being an ass is because.... well gee.... he was under federal indictment for medical insurance fraud..... $4 million!!!!!!!!!!!! they have settled and agreed to pay back $$$$$. so I guess they're broke but I doubt it. I'm sure he's hiding money somewhere.

detail of plea bargain and settlement - http://www.justice.gov/usao/can/news/2013/docs/Settlement Agreement Heidarpour Executed.pdf

I saw but - franchisees are responsible for expenses, not McDonald's corporate so franchisees only get 20% profit, or less than that.

Many franchises - 10% profit.

Franchises have very higher failure rate, so increase of minimum wage will effectively kill most, if not all franchisees.

However, it may force McDonald's to abandon the franchising and build a company owned fast food.

For me, I support to increase the minimum wage but businesses need to reform the franchising.
What do you think of a tiered minimum wage? That is, different minimum amounts for different industries or categories of employment?

Just tossing it out there. :)

What do you think of a tiered minimum wage? That is, different minimum amounts for different industries or categories of employment?

that would be perfect. I can't imagine $15/hr for a janitor job. mein gott!!

Don't blame on MW only since gas prices, supplies prices, lease and anything else that costs them goes up are factors, too. For example, a corporate orders power cords for their products. Price for power cords increase and/or shipping rates for shipping power cords increase, therefore the prices for their products increase. MW has nothing to do with it.
I'm not blaming anyone for anything. I'm simply stating that all the repercussions should be considered before making the changes. Be wary of the emotional approach.

Well, one has to analyze why the price for power cords went up. Increase in cost for raw materials? Increase of labor costs for making the cords? Increase of shipping costs because fuel increases? :dunno:

cheaper insurance... only way possible is to ask people to stop committing frauds!!!!! :mad2:

my brother just told me earlier today that he's dealing with a massive headache. his friend reversed her SUV on driveway and accidentally dented his car on the side. she apologized and said she'll pay for damage with cash.

my bro went to 2 different mechanics... the estimated cost of repair is around $1,300 and his friend's husband was throwing a hissy fit and did not want to pay that much and complained that it's overpriced and yaka yaka.... and then later blamed my bro for parking his car in a position that led to accident.

um..... o.....k.......

he's refusing to give my bro an insurance information and still want to pay cash so my brother's already contacted our insurance company to contact their insurance company. if shit hits fan.... he will begin a process with a small claim court. he already have proof of admittances and "promises" to pay back as evidences.

and get this.... the reason why that ass is being an ass is because.... well gee.... he was under federal indictment for medical insurance fraud..... $4 million!!!!!!!!!!!! they have settled and agreed to pay back $$$$$. so I guess they're broke but I doubt it. I'm sure he's hiding money somewhere.

detail of plea bargain and settlement - http://www.justice.gov/usao/can/news/2013/docs/Settlement Agreement Heidarpour Executed.pdf
Yes, it's best that your brother work thru his insurance company. Let them handle the ugliness of dealing with the other party. I wonder if the other person was avoiding contacting his insurance company because he isn't covered? :hmm: Even if he isn't, your brother's insurance probably includes the uninsured/underinsured driver, so he should be OK. But you're right that it's a headache.

If there is widespread minimum wage set to $15/hr... there will be fewer business to survive. Higher prices passed down to consumers... it probably won't help everyone either way. Prices will go up, forcing people to pay more than they can save money. It may be harder for most people to put money into savings as people live paycheck to paycheck.

Back to the old days, Everything closed on Sunday.
More Mom and Pop stores and less big chain stores... Jiro might understand this one.

Better education, since kids will need a skill to work, wont be any fast food joints anymore.

um..... o.....k.......

Just report it to their insurance company... let them deal with it.
Happened to me too, friend didnt want their rate to go up and then didnt want to pay the price. I turned it in got my car fixed and my insurance went after theirs and it was done. My rate didnt go up either since it was their fault.

OK , so you know ALL about business, go then start one of your own, and stop pretending to be a consultant with ZERO experience
nah you're dreaming MaDonalds is way way too big to be bullied to submit into abandoning such, i don't give a flying hoot
it just makes me cringe when people pretends to be experts

What's uncalled statement and personal attack. :roll:

I learned from business course, that what I majored at university, along with research.

It isn't bad idea - great for less wealthy companies and franchisees.

I think that increase to $15 per hour is too excessive, so minimum wage supposed to be low and pegged to inflation.

According to Macroeconomic, the minimum wage could reduce the labor supply, that leading to increase of unemployment.

Germany has no minimum wage but unemployment is 5%, but in France, minimum wage is $13 (converted into US dollar) but unemployment is 10%.

Want better wage? Go to school and study in major that isn't oversaturated, or work for oil/gas companies, especially in North Dakota.

It
I think that increase to $15 per hour is too excessive, so minimum wage supposed to be low and pegged to inflation.

QUOTE]
So you dont think it equals out after all the years of cost of living increases and Min wage stayed the same?

earn a $1 a day and it costs you $3 a day to live.... it doesnt add up.
Generally speaking there....

So you dont think it equals out after all the years of cost of living increases and Min wage stayed the same?

earn a $1 a day and it costs you $3 a day to live.... it doesnt add up.
Generally speaking there....

Well, the increase of minimum wage has consequence like Reba and Jiro stated above, so that why many politicians, especially moderates and conservatives are hesitate to rise the minimum wage, or employers say - lay employees off.

Yes, I know that minimum wage isn't enough to cover basic needs, but unfortunately, life is so hard.

The minimum wage should increase slowly instead of increase instantly to $15.

I think there is one main point missing here.

The main reason people create businesses is to earn profits.

It's not to create jobs that meet everyone's needs.

If those jobs meet the workers' needs for income and self-fulfillment, and the need for the betterment of society, that's a bonus but it's not a requirement.

If businesses aren't profitable, they close, and the jobs disappear with them.

The only ways government should interfere with businesses is to enforce healthy and safety regulations, enforce contracts and criminal laws, and regulate issues that effect the larger community such as the environment, international relations, and interstate commerce. Even then, the government should tread lightly.

And Armored car drivers earn only $11 at the highest level and they carry a gun and can be killed in the line of duty. Meanwhile, someone flips a burger and has no education of hygiene or food management (beyond high school, if that) and spends their day "you want fries with that?" and they get $15 an hour. Let's brace for the price hike on fast foods and some businesses closing because they can't afford the workers....great idea....

You want a livable wage, don't take a students job....

Laura

It's not that easy to find a job today and if a person get laid off for no reason of their own they'll have to take the first job they can get just to keep food on the table. My neighbor just got laid of b/c the company he worked 15 years for was brought out and the new owners wanted new people so they would not have to pay them as much as my neighbor was making , he in his 50's and it trying to find a new job.

Back