Never buy DVDs from....

I buy movies you cant watch without subtitles even if you are hearing, movies like, for example, passion of the christ. I suggest you all do the same because then you will not have to worry about wether subtitles have been added or will be there.

I wondered, you are ordered online dvds right? I bought dvd movies at Best Buy store or Super Target or Wal Mart all the times. They have w CC so no plm. I read your Echo Bridge Home Entertainment internet. interesting warning!!!

Pacman, You are right! as same game dvds when I learned lesson I did opened it and play it. I not like it. They wont it!!! and no refused. I lost it! then can sell game dvds in garage sale. Or Ebay sell it. Best is one way go rent game dvd when you made sure you like it then can buy one. Save your head!

My Dad got Planet Earth on DVDs from the Discovery channel and we found out that they do not have cc or subtitles on the DVDS. Interesting they did have cc when they aired it on tv. which does not make much since they already paid for the captioning why not put it on the DVDs, they did not even have it as an option.

It's better to say "always check DVDs for 'CC' or subtitles before buying" than to say "never buy DVDs from this company".

*nodding agreement*

I alway check DVD for subtitles before buy, no matter which companies they come from but accept if there're no subtitles.

RedheadGrrl,

It's good that you email the company... ! Did they have any similar DVD from different companies? perhaps there're subtitles or CC?

My Dad got Planet Earth on DVDs from the Discovery channel and we found out that they do not have cc or subtitles on the DVDS. Interesting they did have cc when they aired it on tv. which does not make much since they already paid for the captioning why not put it on the DVDs, they did not even have it as an option.

I own it on Blu-ray Disc and it is subtitled for the deaf and hard of hearing. The DVD set is supposed to be closed captioned. Did you play it in 480i or 480p?

If you used 480p, then that's probably why you didn't get any captions. You need to turn it back to 480i (interlaced) instead of 480p (progressive).

Yes, i have few DVD don't have CC, return store, I got back moneyu!!

how?

1) I pick up case dvd, I look not show "CC" / "Subtitle" on rear case or side, I ask custmer service. I said I am deaf, I can't find CC/Subtitle. He / She look it

2a) she/he remove case and dvd player and check CC or Subtitle, if not have it, I don't need it, no problem

or

2b) Custmer service told me, If I go home, not work CC / Subtitle, back money. Custmer service said no problem, back money me!

NO PROBLEM from Best Buy, Suncoast, Tower, Border. I did them

I bought hornblower dvds from A&E, and some history dvds from History Channel (ae owns hc), and most of them aren't captioned. The hornblower dvds, all of them were captioned, except for two...which I can't understand why! I wrote to them, and they said, we value your input, we have no plans to rerelease these dvds. So I forwarded this email to the government that handles the ADA act, and they finally wrote me back and said, we don't cover that issue, we only cover complaints on TV. So I have no idea who to turn to :(

But, if at worst case scenario, I might watch it with spanish subtitles (if they have any), because understanding very little is better than understanding nothing at all. I can kinda guess at what they're saying in spanish and french.

i know, it's stupid, we shouldn't have to worry, but...

Thanks for mentioning this, I saw the Planet Earth DVDs in the store the other day, and I won't be getting them now.

I can't understand it either, "Mystery science theater 3000" episodes on DVD aren't closed captioned, it was closed captioned when it aired on TV. It can't be about money, having it captioned is the expensive part. I hate to admit it but we need a law for DVDs like the one for broadcast TV.

It does come down to money, not all companies that make dvds can afford to do the captioning. THey have to follow the budget. imagine if you were making a movie and you wanted it captioned, your budget was 100k, and you found out that to caption your movie would cost 50k, which is half your budget, which means you basically have to cut corners EVERYWHERE else in order to afford the captioning. SO most companies or film crews with very small budgets won't do the captioning unless the movie is a hit, then they will re-release with captioning. It is all about the money.

If you deaf or hard-of-hearing you may use it without captions that is
recommend for using with a TV listening device.

It seems to be a "TV Ears". How can person with sensori -neural h. loss benefit from it?

Fuzzy

It's better to say "always check DVDs for 'CC' or subtitles before buying" than to say "never buy DVDs from this company".

I did that, and let me tell you something, two movies were supposed to have subtitles, and those two movies did not show English Subtitles or any subtitles on the menu. I did called Netflix customer service line, and informed them about it, and the customer service agent says that it should have it on the menu, I went over it three times, and it wasn't even there. So, I'm afraid to rent more movies from them where it says "English Subtitles"

I did that, and let me tell you something, two movies were supposed to have subtitles, and those two movies did not show English Subtitles or any subtitles on the menu. I did called Netflix customer service line, and informed them about it, and the customer service agent says that it should have it on the menu, I went over it three times, and it wasn't even there. So, I'm afraid to rent more movies from them where it says "English Subtitles"

Did you look in the Languages menu?

What movies were they? I just want to know so I can check out for myself.

Did you look in the Languages menu?

What movies were they? I just want to know so I can check out for myself.

There was no language menu, As far as I remembered there was an "audio" menu for sounds I supposed. :dunno:

Two movies were "Between" (2005) and "Crutch" (2004)
They did send me a replacement on both movies, same thing happened no closed caption or subtitles.

There was no language menu, As far as I remembered there was an "audio" menu for sounds I supposed. :dunno:

They did send me a replacement on both movies, same thing happened no closed caption or subtitles.

According to Amazon, they are captioend. Hmm... must be a screw-up.

According to Amazon, they are captioend. Hmm... must be a screw-up.

Yea, according to Netflix DVD Rental it says closed caption too. I haven't seen any dvd's that didn't have language on the menu, this is the first for me. Is that common or rare?

Well, I'm with Blockbuster Online. It only happens to me 1 out of 100 DVDs that I rent. It's usually because the DVD was from when they were rushing re-releases from VHS to DVD. One example is Time Bandits. :(

Well, I'm with Blockbuster Online. It only happens to me 1 out of 100 DVDs that I rent. It's usually because the DVD was from when they were rushing re-releases from VHS to DVD. One example is Time Bandits. :(

Yea, I'm going to give Netflix one more chance, if there are more movies appears to be no closed caption or subtitles when it is supposed to be, then I would have to cancel that membership.

Why is it Netflix's fault? If it says CC or subtitles on the cover and not available, blame it on the studio, not Netflix, Amazon, Blockbuster, etc. You don't expect them to test every movie to see if CC or subtitles work.

Peter

Why is it Netflix's fault? If it says CC or subtitles on the cover and not available, blame it on the studio, not Netflix, Amazon, Blockbuster, etc. You don't expect them to test every movie to see if CC or subtitles work.

Peter
Actually, it can also be the fault of Netflix. Even Blockbuster Online makes the mistake from time to time.

When they add a DVD title to the online listing, they type in information about that DVD.

Sometimes, they add everything accurately. Sometimes, they add something by accident.

What I usually do when looking at DVDs is focus on well-known titles. If it's an independent title, then I'm cautious because there are some companies that don't bother with subtitles or captions because they're in a hurry to release their DVDs. Such companies are Two Left Shoes and Mad Dog (maybe Bad Dog, don't remember).

I am a big fan of mysteries and ordered a british show called "Wire in the Blood" from ebay. The company that releases it is Koch, and none of their releases have subs. When I first put the dvd in I was really mad, but I was able to find the subs (they are called .srt files, mostly) through many different sources using google. I was also able to download the same episodes off the internet so that I could be sure the subs would match the movie. I also found a site that has transcripts for tv shows (mostly british, but not all) so that I can make my own sub files. (that is the theory, anyway..still working on that). TV shows are not like movies..they are broadcast free, so much easier to download and you don't have to worry about copyrights.

Back