Netflix may have to provide closed captions online

Look at mulldizzle's comment from article that OP posted.

Sadly, another anti-business ruling. If anything, lets say netflux decidws its too costly and shuts down....everyone loses. Why would someone want to start a legit streaming biz in the u.s. at this rate??? Just ship the jobs and revenue to another country (ot piracy) .

Wow, what's ignorant person. :roll:

It's true that any time you put in place regulation you are going to affect cost. However, in this case, you get the revenue from a new market and possibly a tax cut. I don't see this as sending jobs anywhere. In fact, it probably creates them.

Look at the Dog poop scoop laws which, while I have no firm data, I believe discourages dog ownership. Still, there is a lot of benefit to the regulation in city areas. Current dog owners are all for it, but I can see perspective owners being discouraged.

This thread should be in Captioning & Sign Language Interpreter category because it will get people's attention (whoever are interested to read about captioning).

Anyway it says that Netflix could appeal. WTF? If they plan to do so, that means this company disagrees with the ruling. I hope not.

This thread should be in Captioning & Sign Language Interpreter category because it will get people's attention (whoever are interested to read about captioning).

Anyway it says that Netflix could appeal. WTF? If they plan to do so, that means this company disagrees with the ruling. I hope not.

You don't pay lawyers to accept defeat, right?

Long term, they will be in accordence, IMO.

You don't pay lawyers to accept defeat, right?

Long term, they will be in accordence, IMO.
If the company doesn't agree with the ruling, then it should offer a discount rate to its deaf customers. Very simple and common sense.

Watch Howard Rosenblum, the CEO of the National Association of the Deaf, explain the recent developments in the NAD vs. Netflix case.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsPCTVFWoo4]Landmark Precedent in NAD vs. Netflix: Vlog - YouTube[/ame]

Hopefully this affects all services -- not just Netflix.

iTunes
Amazon
Hulu
etc.

A discount won't help caption the videos.
No, that's not what I meant. So far there are about 40-60% of movies/TV shows captioned by Netflix so we shouldn't pay a full price. If Netflix will caption ALL of them by court order, then it's fair for us to pay a full price. Therefore, if Netflix disagrees with the ruling, it should offer us a discount rate. That's FAIR.

No, that's not what I meant. So far there are about 40-60% of movies/TV shows captioned by Netflix so we shouldn't pay a full price. If Netflix will caption ALL of them by court order, then it's fair for us to pay a full price. Therefore, if Netflix disagrees with the ruling, it should offer us a discount rate. That's FAIR.

I see what you mean now. That makes sense. :thumb:

Hopefully this affects all services -- not just Netflix.

iTunes
Amazon
Hulu
etc.
Starting in 2014, they will be required to caption all shows as per FCC. I wish it'd start next year, not 2014. As for Netflix's 100% captioning, possibly it will be effective next year. NAD is working on it. It's not suing other companies yet.

Well, he's right... Businesses literally get regulated out of existence. Problem is, people who run these companies DON'T GIVE A DAMN.

Why don't we cut to the chase and do this instead? Let's find a piece of land 50 miles from anything and form a CITY. Deaf people would break ground and start the city with deaf-owned businesses, who would hire deaf people, HOH people, and hearing people who can sign fluently. Let's try to have the full range of a modern society to the extent possible, like the deaf performing arts industry, from broadways to movies and everything else.

And I will not do Netflix, now that I know they wanted to put off captioning. F* them.

If the company doesn't agree with the ruling, then it should offer a discount rate to its deaf customers. Very simple and common sense.

That is crazy, Crazy. (hand across the opposite shoulder twice) Why in hell should I watch a video if I can't understand it?

What if everyone says they're deaf? Do we then have to submit an audiogram when we sign up?

The Hell with discounts...Netflix should just do the right thing or risk losing even more customers. The company just has a talent for making really bad decisions, however, I agree they're getting better. This ruling, if they accept it, would be another step in the right direction.

The Hell with discounts...Netflix should just do the right thing or risk losing even more customers. The company just has a talent for making really bad decisions, however, I agree they're getting better. This ruling, if they accept it, would be another step in the right direction.
Discounts just for a while, not forever. I am sure that it will caption everything it offers by 2014. Howard said that ADA laws apply to internet as well.

What if everyone says they're deaf? Do we then have to submit an audiogram when we sign up?
Good question but I think a medical document from your doctor should be sufficient. Same thing with a discount card for bus riders who are handicapped.

Back