Netflix and closed captions on DVDs

Hey farmerjoe, add this to your list... Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman series. I was really so disappointed that the series is not captioned at all. It's one of my most favorite, and the one that I was looking forward to seeing again when I put it on my Netflix. AND...this is owned by the A&E Entertainment company.

Hey farmerjoe, add this to your list... Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman series. I was really so disappointed that the series is not captioned at all. It's one of my most favorite, and the one that I was looking forward to seeing again when I put it on my Netflix. AND...this is owned by the A&E Entertainment company.
The same goes for the first season of Hercules. :(

Captioning on Netflix

I had the same problem. My mother wanted to see the Sharpe series from the BBC. It was captioned when it was shown on PBS years ago, but most of the DVDs are not. To make it more complicated, one DVD in the series is clearly listed as captioned, some clearly say "No subtitles", but others say nothing at all, so they might be or might not be.

I did email Netflix to comment that it would be nice if they listed caption more consistently, but really its groups like A&E and the BBC that need to make the effort to make caption more available.

I have run into this problem with NetFlix, Blockbuster, and recently I bought a copy of The 440 season one I think, might be two, and its not subtitled or captioned and it was made well past the FCC laws. Really pissed me off, because I like that show a lot.

:rl:

Nick

I have run into this problem with NetFlix, Blockbuster, and recently I bought a copy of The 440 season one I think, might be two, and its not subtitled or captioned and it was made well past the FCC laws. Really pissed me off, because I like that show a lot.Nick

The 4400?

It is captioned, I own all 3 seasons on DVD.

Could be the dvd player and dvd combo

I got a new Band of Brothers DVD set and captions did not work on my "old" DVD player.

I got a new DVD player for another TV and it seemed to work only with Progressive scan OFF and with a Yellow wire connection (Ya know Red white and yellow where yellow is for video). NOT S video.

It is really frustrating I know. Hope this restores somebodys sanity.

I got a new Band of Brothers DVD set and captions did not work on my "old" DVD player.

I got a new DVD player for another TV and it seemed to work only with Progressive scan OFF and with a Yellow wire connection (Ya know Red white and yellow where yellow is for video). NOT S video.

It is really frustrating I know. Hope this restores somebodys sanity.

My DVD player doesn't support progressive scan but from reading many other DVD related threads on alldeaf.com I've learned that you can't ever display CC when progressive scan mode is on.
I suspect progressive scan messes with the VBI part of the signal, Progressive scan draws every line of a frame rather than every other line, so I presume line 21 isn't "drawn" correctly as a result.

My DVD player doesn't support progressive scan but from reading many other DVD related threads on alldeaf.com I've learned that you can't ever display CC when progressive scan mode is on.
I suspect progressive scan messes with the VBI part of the signal, Progressive scan draws every line of a frame rather than every other line, so I presume line 21 isn't "drawn" correctly as a result.

That's right. That's why they should have a CC decoder built in all of the DVD players. I wrote a blog entry on it months ago.

I know how you feel. One time I went to my local Hollywood Video, and although on the "The Number 23" DVD case it said to have CC, when I took it home to watch it there was no CC at all. :mad2:

The Number 23 had CC. If your dvd player do not have support then use subtitle. If your dvd player names. Some them do not have support for CC. I use SONY dvd player are no problem.

NetFlix have mistake and not know that dvd have no cc. "RedLine" only subtitle for Spanish. GRR. well.

Thel last DVD I watched did not have CC but it did have Subtitles. Sutitles should work in progressive scan though because I watched a DVD with subtitles and left the progressive scan on.

That's right. That's why they should have a CC decoder built in all of the DVD players. I wrote a blog entry on it months ago.
Wouldn't that cause overlapping?

It's like having the CC turned on for your television and using a decoder at the same time.

I have my DVD player hooked up to a decoder and the decoder to the television. When I watch television, I will see weird boxes cuz the captions are overlapping each other.

Wouldn't that cause overlapping?

It's like having the CC turned on for your television and using a decoder at the same time.

I have my DVD player hooked up to a decoder and the decoder to the television. When I watch television, I will see weird boxes cuz the captions are overlapping each other.

Not if the HDTV is unable to decode it via progressive mode.

Back