Netflix and closed captions on DVDs

farmerjoe

Reaction score
I've been a subscribing to NetFlix for several months and not every disk has closed captions or English subtitles, I know that NetFlix has no control over whether or not a DVD is captioned but it really pisses me off when NetFlix claims that it's closed captioned and I get the disk I find out that it isn't.

So, I've created a list of DVDs which do not have closed captions or english subtitles. Many of the disks on my list were listed as closed captioned on NetFlix.

I hope that I can save other people the frustration of renting a DVD only to find it's not closed captioned. If any other netflix users have a similar list I'd like to see it.

Link to my RSS feed:
No CC or English subtitles

I know how you feel. One time I went to my local Hollywood Video, and although on the "The Number 23" DVD case it said to have CC, when I took it home to watch it there was no CC at all. :mad2:

I know! what is up with that!? It is totally my pet piss off. Why do they do that?

Umm. One thing you guys have to remember is that not every movie is going to have captioning, but they will have subtitles. And movies made before the captioning laws were set up, you run a risk of them not having captioning. It really depends on the studio that makes the movie. I know the History Channel does not always transfer captioning to their dvds. They're not big like ABC, NBC, or CBS who can afford to caption their dvds. I'd suggest finding the corporate address and complaining to the company that made the dvd, not Netflix. I've used netflix before myself, and not every movie i got was captioned, and unless people complain, the companies won't caption their dvds.

Time Bandits? I already seen in DVD with CC. It work fine.

The first time it was released on DVD (in 1999) it did not have CC or subtitles, this is the edition netflix has in their inventory (all the DVDs on my list have been confirmed by me, I've rented each of those titles from NetFlix.) I did some research on Amazon.com and it appears that when it was released again in 2004 as a special edition, which does include CC.

Umm. One thing you guys have to remember is that not every movie is going to have captioning, but they will have subtitles. And movies made before the captioning laws were set up, you run a risk of them not having captioning. It really depends on the studio that makes the movie. I know the History Channel does not always transfer captioning to their dvds. They're not big like ABC, NBC, or CBS who can afford to caption their dvds. I'd suggest finding the corporate address and complaining to the company that made the dvd, not Netflix. I've used netflix before myself, and not every movie i got was captioned, and unless people complain, the companies won't caption their dvds.

No, many movies have neither. If a DVD has one or the other I'm content, but each title on my list has neither.
Also, as I mentioned before I know netflix is not responsible for putting closed captions on DVDs, but what really grills my cheese is that Netflix will clerly list Closed captioning as a feature of the disk, but when it comes in the mail it does not have CC or english subtitles.

Also, the History Chanel is not small, it's owned by A&E Television Network. (which is owned by Disney and NBC) A&E Television Networks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The price of captioning a DVD has almost nothing to do with it, they paied the expence of getting closed captions when it aired on TV, that's the expencive part, it's trivial to transfer the text and timecodes to the DVD.

They can't please everybody. you can call the company and try to get them to put captioning on their movies, but honestly, money controls everything, if the company can't justify paying for something, or they don't see the point of adding captioning, they won't do it. But if they get enough requests, they may change their minds.

I have same issue. I still get movies from netflix. I love watch movies so much. If one movie don't have cc then I will send and pick different movie. I dont need complain.

I was netflix member and every blu ray movies I rented has captions/subtitles. I have not rent any DVDs there yet. I thought Netflix is better than blockbusteronline which BB has alot of stratches on discs all the times. Netflix blu rays never show any stratches. They rulz.

I have same issue. I still get movies from netflix. I love watch movies so much. If one movie don't have cc then I will send and pick different movie. I dont need complain.

Me too. I don't need complain if these movies don't have CC because without
a CC logo from the box. It's fine with me, I will have rent for other.

It does happen with Laguna Beach Complete Set, Season 2 and CC isn't work on iMac, when watch DVD player (that's program) but it does work on my HDTV with composite cable, at 480i.

That's odd about some DVD don't work on other side.

Btw, this DVD is work so fine with windows media center.

I know how you feel. One time I went to my local Hollywood Video, and although on the "The Number 23" DVD case it said to have CC, when I took it home to watch it there was no CC at all. :mad2:
What about subtitles?

Time Bandits? I already seen in DVD with CC. It work fine.

BTW Banjo post lot of listing with special features with subtitle/cc available
DVD: Captioned Special Features
You must have watched a different version or different release.

They release multiple versions of DVDs sometimes. For instance, they released Hudson Hawk 3 or 4 times on DVD.

I rented Time Bandits 7 years ago and it wasn't captioned or subtitled. Maybe, you got a later release. :dunno:

I rent movies from Netflix as well. Most DVDs that are modern have built-in subtitles... the very first movie that didn't have the subtitles or captions was "How to Make An American Quilt"... I was really disappointed... then I would rent other movies... the same dilemma followed. Now I just rent the ballet documentaries and productions like "Swan Lake"... there is nothing like it... Nobody talks, everyone gestures.

You must have watched a different version or different release.

They release multiple versions of DVDs sometimes. For instance, they released Hudson Hawk 3 or 4 times on DVD.

I rented Time Bandits 7 years ago and it wasn't captioned or subtitled. Maybe, you got a later release. :dunno:

Yes, the first edition from Anchor Bay wasn't captioned then they re-released a special edition. They captioned the movie and the bonus contents.

Yes, the first edition from Anchor Bay wasn't captioned then they re-released a special edition. They captioned the movie and the bonus contents.
Hmm... I'll have to check that out. Thanks for the info! :thumb:

OMG yeah on netflix SOME those DVD doesnt have CC I was like OH COME ON! its sooooooo stupid that it doesnt have on THAT DVD I was like *sighs* NetFlix should telling us as if that dvd have a cc or NOT so that we wont get one of those, ya know? Yes I got :pissed: sometimes that have no CC GRRR

I stopped believing that it's all about money when there's many groups that subbed television shows and movies for free on internet...lol.

Back