Need help for links that don't open :(

I'm back on the PC. I did the dns flush. No change.

You saw the message that the flush was successful and you rebooted after the flush, yes?

Hmm ok, will have to think some more. You might have to do some registry adjustments afterall :-/. Sorry, remind me, this problem happens only in IE or in your other browser too?

Nevermind, I just scrolled back to find it happens in both ... sorry thinking and typing outloud ha.

Have you checked your Firewall settings? If it is on, when you turn it off, does that make a difference?

Last edited:
Try this website. Microsoft Fix it Solution Center: troubleshooting software issues
This website have some programs to download and fix the issues if detected.

My suggestion: Backup then delete the user folder in a browser folder. It may put the browser back to default settings. Then get your personal stuff (bookmarks, extensions, etc) back in the browser. I did it to solve the "aw, snap!" problem in Chrome.

Otherwise, re-install the browser.

Try this website. Microsoft Fix it Solution Center: troubleshooting software issues
This website have some programs to download and fix the issues if detected.

My suggestion: Backup then delete the user folder in a browser folder. It may put the browser back to default settings. Then get your personal stuff (bookmarks, extensions, etc) back in the browser. I did it to solve the "aw, snap!" problem in Chrome.

Otherwise, re-install the browser.

Better way, is to create another user account, test it in new account, if that solved, then it's the profile maybe corrupted somewhere. She can start copying all of her fav folder, documents and such over to new account.

Reba, you said the issue affected all browsers you have tried, yes? It must be something outside the browser directories such as a corrupted file in Windows directory that browsers needed to run.

Have you reset IE9 settings to TOTALLY default? It can be done in Internet Properties, on Advanced tab. It will wipe anything included personal stuff so backup yours!

ie-sinking.jpg

Thank you, thank you all for your help.

I finally resolved the problem, albeit the hard way. :lol:

No, I didn't buy a new computer but close to it.

In my ignorant bliss, I figured I could uninstall the IE9 from my computer and download a fresh version, error free.

Well, it uninstalled perfectly. Too perfectly. I couldn't reinstall it. It would download but not finish the installation process. Man, did I struggle with that.

Finally, I decided I would try to restore everything to a point prior to the time of uninstalling the IE9. Well, none of my restoration points went back far enough. So, what's left? Restore back to the original factory setup.

I dreaded that. I had done that before with my W7 Samsung netbook. It wasn't as harrowing because I kept no files on the netbook. (Whenever I needed documents or photos or other files, I could get them thru the homegroup network with the PC.)

However, the PC was chock full of files. So, I did a back up on my external drive. Then, with bated breath, I started the restoration process. It went smoothly enough. Whew!

Next, I had to retrieve and install the files from my external hard drive, reinstalling the printer and MS Office 2010, and some other stuff. Personalizing my settings and themes, and all the other tweaking involved is still in progress.

I now have IE8 and Mozilla 11. So far, they're working fine. I might get IE 9 later but I don't want to mess with it right now.

There's a few things missing, not quite right yet but I hope to get things back to normal in the next few days.

Again, thank you all for the suggestions. Even though they didn't work for me, they helped me eliminate all other possibilities before plunging into the final one. I learned a few things. :D

What browser are you using?
Problem is solved now.

On our Windows 7 PC, we use Mozilla for most browsing. We now use IE 8 (was 9) to access certain .edu, .gov, and .mil sites.

Good job Reba, glad to hear you solved your problem :). Trial and error is often a slow but most rewarding process!

Good job Reba, glad to hear you solved your problem :). Trial and error is often a slow but most rewarding process!
I just wish I wasn't "rewarded" at 4 a.m. :lol:

Once I start something I like to finish it though.

After going thru everything to start over, my pdf links still wouldn't open. So, I did a little searching online, and discovered that it could be that I didn't download the most recent Adobe Reader. So, I did that. Guess what? It worked!

Go ahead, :slap: me.

Like I said, it's best to start at the simplest solution ... although I didn't expect to have to go that simple hahaha. I won't smack ya because we have all "been there, done that" to some degree at some point during our journey to computer literacy. Gotta love life's "Duh!" moments :giggle:

After going thru everything to start over, my pdf links still wouldn't open. So, I did a little searching online, and discovered that it could be that I didn't download the most recent Adobe Reader. So, I did that. Guess what? It worked!

:thumb:

yea - it's usually my first approach to most problems... an update. if nothing, then reinstall. if nothing, then google it. if nothing, then use a sledgehammer :lol:

Great job! (clap clap clap clap clap clap) and no I wouldn't slap you!

Back