need advice: go to college or work for USPS

thanks for the responses.

i don't know what to say, but honestly I am not even interested or motivated to pursue another career instead Information Technology. I've been changing my goals few times in my life, and I still can't decide what I want to be.

Really, there is nothing what I want to be. I studied Arts, but I got bored. I tried few other things, and I lost my interests. It is really tough for me.

If Information Technology is what you really want to do, what would be the most appropriate next step for you then? Would the USPS job move you in that direction, or move you away from it? Can you get a certification fairly quickly, and would that open up more job possibilities?

Every choice you make will move you in one direction or another. What choices that are available to you now move you in the direction you want to go?

i don't know what to say, but honestly I am not even interested or motivated to pursue another career instead Information Technology. I've been changing my goals few times in my life, and I still can't decide what I want to be.

Really, there is nothing what I want to be. I studied Arts, but I got bored. I tried few other things, and I lost my interests. It is really tough for me.
Dude. I'm older than you and I still don't know what to do when I grow up. But I know this for a fact, get the degree.

There are several online tests you could do that will help you see what types of careers you are best suited for. A good vocational counselor has materials available that will really help you, if you want to do one on one with someone.

There are several online tests you could do that will help you see what types of careers you are best suited for. A good vocational counselor has materials available that will really help you, if you want to do one on one with someone.

i took few online tests, and i didn't find any interesting career for me.

In high school I took one of those, and it said I would be a good mechanic, due to good attention to detail and the interest in putting things together. Huh...I think they were wrong about that, but I am reasonably handy about the home, putting things together and whatnot. That's as "mechanical" as I get.

i took few online tests, and i didn't find any interesting career for me.

You might want to check out a vocational counselor then. But regarding test results: the online tests are not as accurate as the instruments that professionals use. The professionally administered tests have been checked for validity and reliability. The online tests have not. And, there are some sites on the web that are reputable and some that aren't. FOCUS has been shown to be one of the most reliable when compared to the professionally administered tests.

You might keep in mind too, that these tests tell you what your strengths are, and what careers could best put your strengths to use. Many people want a career that does not include their strengths or their natural abilities, and careers that they don't want to have to fulfill the requirements for. That is another place a voc counselor could be helpful....in showing you where you might be having some unreaslistic goals given the effort that you are willing to put out.

In high school I took one of those, and it said I would be a good mechanic, due to good attention to detail and the interest in putting things together. Huh...I think they were wrong about that, but I am reasonably handy about the home, putting things together and whatnot. That's as "mechanical" as I get.

Then the test was right, because all it does is identify strengths, and then list careers that build on those strengths.

Get the degree. You won't regret it even if you end up working in another field.

PFH's reference to Einstein is interesting. Einstein started out at the patent office. There are many paths to success if one has passion and perseverance. In education, this is sometimes called "the Edison trait." He kept going, going, going. . . The best part is that you get to define what success is.

Then the test was right, because all it does is identify strengths, and then list careers that build on those strengths.

I had one of those tests given to me. It came up with architectural draftsman.

This in spite of the fact that my math skills consist mostly of adding and subtracting.

I believe it arrived at this conclusion because I like solitary pursuits.

Working with animals as I have really suited me far better.

Get the degree. You won't regret it even if you end up working in another field.

PFH's reference to Einstein is interesting. Einstein started out at the patent office. There are many paths to success if one has passion and perseverance. In education, this is sometimes called "the Edison trait." He kept going, going, going. . . The best part is that you get to define what success is.

Question: how did I make an Einstein reference?

Oops! Jiro made the Einstein reference. Sorry, PFH.

Most seem to regard this as an all or nothing situation. Why not try for the USPS job and take a class or so in your off time. I can't remember which but I think I do remember of some colleges or universities having a campus in Indy.

I had one of those tests given to me. It came up with architectural draftsman.

This in spite of the fact that my math skills consist mostly of adding and subtracting.

I believe it arrived at this conclusion because I like solitary pursuits.

Working with animals as I have really suited me far better.

I'd say that it concentrated on your preference for solitary pursuits, as well as your ability to focus intently. Math is a learned skill, and these tests focus more on matching up personality traits with job requirements. They figure skills can be learned, but innate personality traits are generally fixed.

Both Jiro and Jillio are right.

I havent no degree but doing IT work without problems. My name is flying around and I've been declining jobs.

BUT for other jobs... I have been struggling because of no degree.

My vote: Get the fkin' degree.

What "other jobs" are you talking about?

Yeah, I personally can't predict 5 years from now. Based on my own personal experience, anything can happen 5 years or later and we would least expect.

I never thought I would land in communication company. I did thought of working at Kodak, and other major electrical companies. These predictions I have never materialized and here I am working for company that I NEVER thought of for all my life.

At least start somewhere and it will lead to other.

Dude. I'm older than you and I still don't know what to do when I grow up. But I know this for a fact, get the degree.

Most seem to regard this as an all or nothing situation. Why not try for the USPS job and take a class or so in your off time. I can't remember which but I think I do remember of some colleges or universities having a campus in Indy.
IUPUI and University of Indianapolis definitely do, considering my mom works within spitting distance of one and lives within spitting distance of the other one.

Then there's Butler and a few more, I think.

i am curious about IUPUI and deaf community in Indianapolis.

are there any deaf students? I am pretty sure there are few. I am aware there are few deaf students at Purdue University.

is deaf community very good in Indianapolis?

Darkferret, if you went back to college, would you have to take out a loan? If so, then working and saving up for college sounds like a better plan.

There are indeed a lot of careers where it is not necessary to have a B.A./B.S., and too many people are graduating with heavy student loans that are burdening their adult lives for years and years after college.

Back