need advice: go to college or work for USPS

darkferret85

Reaction score
hello everyone

I need your help. I am currently 25 years old with a 2 years degree of Information and Computing Studies from NTID. I am unemployed and I live mostly alone even there is no deaf community around here.

I've been searching for a job around here, but I am seeking for some jobs in Indianapolis. I found open position for US Postal Service which I am aware that it has a good pay. Any thoughts or suggestions about getting a job there?

Speaking of school, I am still considering to return to RIT to study ANSA (Applied Networking and System Administration) for a bachelor's degree. I have a hard time to decide because I don't focus on school very well. The problem is that I'll be studying 4 years straight. I was so exhausted of school in the past few years. Any thoughts or suggestions about going back to school?

I forgot to mention that I would like to be a network administrator. What do you think?

hello everyone

I need your help. I am currently 25 years old with a 2 years degree of Information and Computing Studies from NTID. I am unemployed and I live mostly alone even there is no deaf community around here.

I've been searching for a job around here, but I am seeking for some jobs in Indianapolis. I found open position for US Postal Service which I am aware that it has a good pay. Any thoughts or suggestions about getting a job there?

Speaking of school, I am still considering to return to RIT to study ANSA (Applied Networking and System Administration) for a bachelor's degree. I have a hard time to decide because I don't focus on school very well. The problem is that I'll be studying 4 years straight. I was so exhausted of school in the past few years. Any thoughts or suggestions about going back to school?

I forgot to mention that I would like to be a network administrator. What do you think?

Go for job at USPS for now so you can go back to school if you feel ready.

I think that you will find a better job eventually when economy is much improved.

It's a difficult question to answer without more background.

In this field, do network administrators usually have a Bachelor's degree? If so, and if that's your career goal, then you need to go back to school.

I'm a little confused about how much time you would need. Usually if someone has an associate's degree in the same field they want to get a B.A./B.S. in, it only takes 2 more years, not 4.

Can you afford college without taking out loans?

Is the USPS job in Indianapolis related to your computer networking interests? Have you ever been to Indianapolis before, and did you like it? It's a pleasant small town, a nice place to live, but not everyone's cup of tea, either.

Where do you really see yourself going with your life? In your 20s is a good time to finish your education, but not if you hate school, nor if you would have to go into debt for it. Only you can decide how you really feel about going back for another 2 years.

hello everyone

hello Albert Einstein :wave:

In this field, do network administrators usually have a Bachelor's degree? If so, and if that's your career goal, then you need to go back to school.

nope. some don't even have college degree. If you know your stuff very well, that's good enough.

hello everyone

If you want to be a network administrator, you will need to go back and get your 4 year degree. If that is your goal, you have already answered your own question.

nope. some don't even have college degree. If you know your stuff very well, that's good enough.

But that BS opens doors. You know as well as I do that someone applying for that job specification is about 100 times more likely to get the interview with the degree on their resume. The only probable way to get the job without the education is to be internally promoted based on performance.

This dude is not working, plus he is deaf. He needs the edge.

But that BS opens doors. You know as well as I do that someone applying for that job specification is about 100 times more likely to get the interview with the degree on their resume. The only probable way to get the job without the education is to be internally promoted based on performance.

This dude is not working, plus he is deaf. He needs the edge.

yes true but extensive experience & skill trumps over "minimum education requirement". and this is not easy. But it's kinda easy to tell from interview that one is barely qualified for the job despite of one's degree.

Network Administrator job position is not easy as well because it is a very specialized field. Its common requirements are certifications and minimum 5+ years of experience. The degree is not mandatory but the minimum degree they accept is Associate or "related".

in reality - college degree is basically useless especially for IT field. Certification holds a bigger weight over college degree.

Example -

Network Administrator Job in Irvine 92663, California US
Education/Certifications:
- Associates degree in related discipline or equivalent experience
- A+, MCP MCSE / MCSA certification preferred

Network Administrator Job in Honolulu 96826, Hawaii US
Qualifications/Requirements:

A+/Network+, Microsoft certification and/or Associates Degree. MCITP:SA preferred

so basically - the only way to get an edge is to be extremely knowledgeable and experienced in it and you can't really get that from college. I got my IT experience from works, not college. That's how I landed my job.

yes true but extensive experience & skill trumps over "minimum education requirement". and this is not easy. But it's kinda easy to tell from interview that one is barely qualified for the job despite of one's degree.

Network Administrator job position is not easy as well because it is a very specialized field. Its common requirements are certifications and minimum 5+ years of experience. The degree is not mandatory but the minimum degree they accept is Associate or "related".

in reality - college degree is basically useless especially for IT field. Certification holds a bigger weight over college degree.

Example -

Network Administrator Job in Irvine 92663, California US

Network Administrator Job in Honolulu 96826, Hawaii US

so basically - the only way to get an edge is to be extremely knowledgeable and experienced in it and you can't really get that from college. I got my IT experience from works, not college. That's how I landed my job.

But you can't get the experience if you can't get the door to open for you. That is what the degree does. Without it listed, a resume will generally go straight to file 13.

But I do agree that experience trumps book learning. That is why people who have a degree that requires internships have an edge. They have both experience and education.

If it's possible to get the sort of job he wants with a certification, then at minimum he needs to do the classes to get those certifications.

Although I'm with Jillio; typically a B.S. will open doors that an Associate Degree won't. I do see your point, though, Jiro, that the certifications are equally important in that field.

But you can't get the experience if you can't get the door to open for you. That is what the degree does. Without it listed, a resume will generally go straight to file 13.

But I do agree that experience trumps book learning. That is why people who have a degree that requires internships have an edge. They have both experience and education.

in IT... college degree isn't emphasized much. College does not really give you the skill you need for the job unless you're going to be a cryptologist or computer scientist.

General IT jobs (ie. programming) and Network Administrator.... 4-years in college is a waste of time and waste of money because what you learn in college will already be outdated and most are not getting what they need to know for the job. I'd say average life expectancy of IT skill/knowledge is barely 2 years till it gets replaced by something newer. That's why people who want to pursue that kind of field tend to go to either technical school or community college for Associate degree. The only way to get experience is to start from bottom... as an IT technician... then work your way up. Most of their first jobs are at their schools.

But for higher-end level like cryptology, computer science, or related where it's mostly math-intensive.... one will need to go to 4-years college and most of them end up with either Master's or Ph.D.

Bottom line - it depends on what kind of IT career you want to pursue. For a job like mine? you don't need BA/BS.

I find it too common that deaf work for USPS. Why don't look something different? If you felt there is no choice. Go for it. As long as you need to get paid.

If I were you...

As college to working some skills with IT field. Why not do some volunteer around communities to get idea what can do into future. So you could improve whatever the companies you are landing...

You are current unemployment and would go job whatever it is open. Reason; so you can find job you want as they will checking your previous job on how you doing before hire you.

Find odd job and volunteer is good to start if they are asking about you. Most companies doing the communities and they need someone in employee do communities to made their 'companies' look good.

I read in article in CNN about 8 months ago, the title were "Is college degree worth the investment?"

They said not all of them are really worth the investment. It even said for IT, was not even worth it. Why? After good 4 years as minimum, alot whats learn becomes outdated.

College degrees are worth it if the field don't change all the time and outdated that fast. For instance law school, which is generally worth the money and time because law system don't change fast. Of course they are added or repel from time to time. Medical is excellent area for college degrees.

What that means is that in IT field, they changes constantly. I had to agree with it, what I know today is alot different than it was 5 years ago. Seriously, we do not have these kind of smartphones like HTC EVO 4G 5 years ago right? In college studies, they are not likely to include anything that is new.

Jiro and Zerodog was right all along and he knows what he is talking about. How do I get job in IT, and I do NOT have any kind of degree. How do I get in IT field? Simple, I assist alot people with their network and computing needs and it had helped me land job and hold it.

The OP stated he didn't "focus on school very well"....and was exhausted from all the studying....

My choice would be to take the job at USPS....It's a good job and worth the experience. He's still young and time is on his side. He can always go back to school "at a later date" if he chooses...I don't foresee going back to school when he's not "focused". Perhaps a "breather" from all the studying is what he needs, getting out into the work force and seeing how the "other half" works!...(those of us without a degree)....

(Off topic)...besides...the USPS men who drive the trucks and deliver packages...and wear those short-shorts....the ladies go a little "wild" over their legs!...Lots of "whistling" going on!...Could be a "fun" job for the OP until he decides to "buckle down".

If it's possible to get the sort of job he wants with a certification, then at minimum he needs to do the classes to get those certifications.

Although I'm with Jillio; typically a B.S. will open doors that an Associate Degree won't. I do see your point, though, Jiro, that the certifications are equally important in that field.

OMG! Another agreement!:giggle:

The OP stated he didn't "focus on school very well"....and was exhausted from all the studying....

My choice would be to take the job at USPS....It's a good job and worth the experience. He's still young and time is on his side. He can always go back to school "at a later date" if he chooses...I don't foresee going back to school when he's not "focused". Perhaps a "breather" from all the studying is what he needs, getting out into the work force and seeing how the "other half" works!...(those of us without a degree)....

(Off topic)...besides...the USPS men who drive the trucks and deliver packages...and wear those short-shorts....the ladies go a little "wild" over their legs!...Lots of "whistling" going on!...Could be a "fun" job for the OP until he decides to "buckle down".

Studying is exhausting. That is part of getting an education.

As far as "not focusing very well", if that is from his attitude toward school, then he needs to work on changing his attitude. If it is the result of a disorder, he needs to get treatment for his disorder.

I think you are referring to UPS delivery men. USPS deliveries come from your regular postal delivery person.

As far as a job being better: I am more exhausted after a day full of clients than I was from undergraduate or graduate school studying.

And, if someone can't focus on school, chances are, they won't be able to focus on learning a new job, either.

Both Jiro and Jillio are right.

I havent no degree but doing IT work without problems. My name is flying around and I've been declining jobs.

BUT for other jobs... I have been struggling because of no degree.

My vote: Get the fkin' degree.

Wirelessly posted (sent from a smartphone. )

Usps wont be a good career due that they will lay off people ans its a high risk nowadays. Try to change goals and degree types and find a more desirable job instead of IT job.

Both Jiro and Jillio are right.

I havent no degree but doing IT work without problems. My name is flying around and I've been declining jobs.

BUT for other jobs... I have been struggling because of no degree.

My vote: Get the fkin' degree.

**nodding** Building that reputation that will open the doors often takes longer and requires more effort than the 4-5 years spent getting a degree. Most people have no idea how to go about marketing themselves.

Back