Name sign question

Kyrissaean

Reaction score
My fiance is currently taking ASL classes. Part of the reason is so he can communicate with my deaf relatives on the off-chance there's a family reunion or whatever. Another part is so that when he finally becomes a psychologist, his deaf clients won't need to depend on an interpreter for their appointments. And the last bit is in case we have deaf children, we won't have to scramble to learn ASL. (I myself am fluent since I was born in a deaf family.)

Sorry for the big back story. I guess I wanted to explain the background.

Anyway.

He just started taking classes and he asked me if I thought of a name sign for him yet. I admitted I haven't, but said that he really should pick one for himself because it'd be more geared towards his personality and preference. Then he surprised me with something his ASL teacher said. His teacher said that it's considered rude in the deaf culture for someone to pick a name sign for themselves.

I never heard of this. Kind of surprised me. And wanted to ask if this is true or not.

My fiance is currently taking ASL classes. Part of the reason is so he can communicate with my deaf relatives on the off-chance there's a family reunion or whatever. Another part is so that when he finally becomes a psychologist, his deaf clients won't need to depend on an interpreter for their appointments. And the last bit is in case we have deaf children, we won't have to scramble to learn ASL. (I myself am fluent since I was born in a deaf family.)

Sorry for the big back story. I guess I wanted to explain the background.

Anyway.

He just started taking classes and he asked me if I thought of a name sign for him yet. I admitted I haven't, but said that he really should pick one for himself because it'd be more geared towards his personality and preference. Then he surprised me with something his ASL teacher said. His teacher said that it's considered rude in the deaf culture for someone to pick a name sign for themselves.

I never heard of this. Kind of surprised me. And wanted to ask if this is true or not.

For hearing people, yes it would be rude for them to pick a name sign for themselves, because it sends a oppressive message to the Deaf community: that those arrogant hearing people can hover over the Deaf community.

For deaf people, not necessarily. Because they are fluent in ASL, they know all the subtletiies of ASL and can pick the right position for a name sign.

For hearing people, yes it would be rude for them to pick a name sign for themselves, because it sends a oppressive message to the Deaf community: that those arrogant hearing people can hover over the Deaf community.

For deaf people, not necessarily. Because they are fluent in ASL, they know all the subtletiies of ASL and can pick the right position for a name sign.
True Kyleb.

I think the OP isn't getting responses because there are some red flags in the post.

What red flags? And my name is Kyle.
Hi Kyle. Until I get to know a person I use what they have as their user name when they post. Kyleb. That is why I added the b.

Yes I am am not totally understanding why there were red flags in the post? I do agree with Kyle though. I think it would be nice since you grew up within the Deaf Community if you picked his name sign for him. You know him well and I think it would mean a lot to him down the road if it were you who picked it for him. =)

Yes I am am not totally understanding why there were red flags in the post? I do agree with Kyle though. I think it would be nice since you grew up within the Deaf Community if you picked his name sign for him. You know him well and I think it would mean a lot to him down the road if it were you who picked it for him. =)

Oh I was going to come up with some suggestions for the name sign (though I am currently drawing a blank *chuckles*). Or rather, try to avoid name signs that are already in use in my extended family. Too many relatives with R names, hehe.

I would like to clarify my original post a little bit. Yes, I know it may seem odd that someone who comes from a strong deaf family doesn't know some of the--rules, I guess is the word--for some aspects of the deaf community. Regarding name signs, I've only known one other hearing person who did not know ASL prior to meeting me and my family (before my fiance) and he was my mother's boyfriend. My mother actually asked him to pick a name sign. That was the only experience I had with that area.

So if that is what sent up red flags, well, now you know why I didn't know.

Never cease to learn something!....I see no reason why-not her fiance cannot pick his own ASL sign....I'm sure many deafies do that. Maybe I'm missing something here?

I made up my own sign for my name while I was in school. No one ever said anything negative about it....

Never cease to learn something!....I see no reason why-not her fiance cannot pick his own ASL sign....I'm sure many deafies do that. Maybe I'm missing something here?
It is a matter of cultural propriety. It is improper and rude for a hearing person to choose their own sign name. I sign name is bestowed by a D/deaf person.

Maybe times have changed elsewhere but It is still thought to be improper, rude, and even arrogant where I am from.

It is a matter of cultural propriety. It is improper and rude for a hearing person to choose their own sign name. I sign name is bestowed by a D/deaf person.

Maybe times have changed elsewhere but It is still thought to be improper, rude, and even arrogant where I am from.

I, as well, was taught that a hearing person is assigned their name sign by a deaf individual as a matter of cultural propriety. As the name sign's purpose is to identify that particular individual to the deaf community, as someone who is known within the community, it seems to me that is as it should be.

I was taught this, too, although this brings up a question: in my Deaf Studies class, my Deaf professor seems to have already assigned me a name sign; my name is Elizabeth, and he signs his hand in an "e" shape moving down in a zigzag like a "z".

Now, I haven't really been in the Deaf community, so I don't know if this name sign was given to me for simplicity (nine letters is pretty long!) or if it's a standard name sign (there's a girl named Angel in the class, my prof. signs her name like a feather fluttering down). Here's the question: would it be considered wrong for me to use this name sign? It was assigned to me by a Deaf person, but I'm not involved in the Deaf community yet - what's okay in this situation?

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but this seemed like a perfect opportunity to ask!

I'm gonna hijack too and ask for help on one too:

My new "niece" 's name is Grace. Now, I know the sign for grace, but we don't want to just use the everyday sign for that. Any suggestions on how to change that up? We've talked about not even using any part of that sign for grace at all.

I'm gonna hijack too and ask for help on one too:

My new "niece" 's name is Grace. Now, I know the sign for grace, but we don't want to just use the everyday sign for that. Any suggestions on how to change that up? We've talked about not even using any part of that sign for grace at all.

Is there something that you find particularly special or beautiful about her, Alleycat?

I was taught this, too, although this brings up a question: in my Deaf Studies class, my Deaf professor seems to have already assigned me a name sign; my name is Elizabeth, and he signs his hand in an "e" shape moving down in a zigzag like a "z".

Now, I haven't really been in the Deaf community, so I don't know if this name sign was given to me for simplicity (nine letters is pretty long!) or if it's a standard name sign (there's a girl named Angel in the class, my prof. signs her name like a feather fluttering down). Here's the question: would it be considered wrong for me to use this name sign? It was assigned to me by a Deaf person, but I'm not involved in the Deaf community yet - what's okay in this situation?

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but this seemed like a perfect opportunity to ask!

I see no reason why you couldn't use the name assigned to you by your Deaf instructor. Perhaps after becoming involved more with the Deaf community, a friend will assign you a different name, and you can change what you use then.

Is there something that you find particularly special or beautiful about her, Alleycat?

She is still only a couple months old. She is the one that was born 5 weeks early. She is a beautiful baby with long eyelashes, I'll tell you that much. (What baby isn't beautiful! :lol:) I told Jackie (the mom) that it may take a while before we come up with a good name sign for her, something that suits her since she'll have it for the rest of her life (unless she chooses to change it later.) Jackie was more than ok with waiting a bit, so maybe we should.

I agree with Jillio. I think that name sign is perfect for you and if you and you should use it if you like =) It is a standard name sign. =)

Thanks, Jillio and candybrowneyes! It's certainly a faster sign...and I really how it looks in ASL.

She is still only a couple months old. She is the one that was born 5 weeks early. She is a beautiful baby with long eyelashes, I'll tell you that much. (What baby isn't beautiful! :lol:) I told Jackie (the mom) that it may take a while before we come up with a good name sign for her, something that suits her since she'll have it for the rest of her life (unless she chooses to change it later.) Jackie was more than ok with waiting a bit, so maybe we should.

Yeah, I tend to agree with you there. Someday soon, something will just hit you that will be absolutely perfect. The only thing that really hits me from your post is perhaps a "G" signed by the eye to show her long and pretty eyelashes.

Perhaps it varies by community but my deaf community here fingerspelled my name until they came up with a new name sign for me (and I am Deaf!). I got my new name sign in January, after fingerspelling for close to a year! My current name sign is 'J' coming off the chin, like the sign "small"/"cute". That isn't why it is my name sign though...that is a longer story!

Back