Myths and lies about CIs . . .

Give them time, and I hope everybody realizes that change is a good thing.
In the past few years I have seen attitudes towards CI change for the better! Remember the CI is still relatively new.

I agree with Boult; I didn't see him being negative.
Were you around in the old days in DumbNotes? Boult, he WAS extremely negative about ASL (not a real language) TOTALLY bashing Deaf culture without seeing it as something that could maybe benifit people. I don't deny that there are downsides to Deaf culture, but neither do I see it as a Utopia or a Stiegan hell like he did. A lot of his views he twisted and exeggerated, sort of like the way conservatives do with the truth. He just wanted to totally bash Deaf culture in his books.....

deafdyke said:
Were you around in the old days in DumbNotes?.....

Nope, I concede defeat right there. It's just in this thread alone I found him refreshing. Sorry :dunno:

ButterflyGirl said:
I saved that link that you posted. I know some people who are going blind and I am going to pass that to them. Thanks :)

Well, if I was going blind I would rather have my sight restored than be able to hear :)

No worries - hope that it's of some interest to your friends. And also I'm inclined to agree with you, I think my sight is more precious to me than my hearing.

I would also make that choice, but my blind roommate (just for the summer) is laughing his ass off at that. He would *much* rather be blind. It's all what you know how to cope with, right?

ismi said:
I would also make that choice, but my blind roommate (just for the summer) is laughing his ass off at that. He would *much* rather be blind. It's all what you know how to cope with, right?
Hellen Keller was both. She was of the opinion that deafness was the worst of the two.
Wonder how she came to that conclusion... being deaf and blind.

ismi said:

A few summers ago, my mother in law asked me which disability I'd rather have if I had the choice -- I got furious because I felt that deafness wasn't as horrible as blindness then.

Now, I've grown up and I can understand where your roommate is coming from :) He might feel that blindness isn't as horrible as deafness.

Helen Keller had both disabilities yet she wants to hear more than she wants to see. That made me think about what I'm missing out on :dunno:

ismi said:
Bless his heart :)
I guess it is because he is used with being blind just as most of the deafies are used with being deaf.
It differs with each individual, I guess.

She was of the opinion that deafness was the worst of the two.
Wonder how she came to that conclusion... being deaf and blind.
Well, I think it may have been a comment of her time.
The correct quote was something like " Blindness seperates you from things....Deafness seperates you from people."
Remember in her time, Sign was REALLY looked down on. It wasn't even seen as a "real" language. The emphasis was on talk, talk talk.....and if you couldn't talk, then you were looked down on as subhuman. (I remember reading this in a book on ASL.....I think it was Forbidden Signs)
I don't think that's nessarily true. If you can learn to speak and "hear" then you'll have at least SOME access to people. It won't be 100%, but still.... And on the other hand, some hearing people can sign to you.
Being deaf is not like having Asperger's Syndrome, or autism which are conditions that REALLY seperate you from people. Being deaf in a hearing world isn't like being an alien from outer space.(the way Asperger's or HFA is) It's more like being a vistor in another country.

Oh, and Frag.......he 's semi moderate here, but he has been extreme about ASL and deaf culture.... UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

deafdyke said:
Well, I think it may have been a comment of her time.
The correct quote was something like " Blindness seperates you from things....Deafness seperates you from people."
Remember in her time, Sign was REALLY looked down on. It wasn't even seen as a "real" language. The emphasis was on talk, talk talk.....and if you couldn't talk, then you were looked down on as subhuman. (I remember reading this in a book on ASL.....I think it was Forbidden Signs)
I don't think that's nessarily true. If you can learn to speak and "hear" then you'll have at least SOME access to people. It won't be 100%, but still.... And on the other hand, some hearing people can sign to you.
Being deaf is not like having Asperger's Syndrome, or autism which are conditions that REALLY seperate you from people. Being deaf in a hearing world isn't like being an alien from outer space.(the way Asperger's or HFA is) It's more like being a vistor in another country.
I agree it could be a result of history. But on the other hand, she demonstrated the importance of sign. Everything was done by fingerspelling in the had I guess.
I can also see truth in her quote.
With conversation by speech being such an important tool for people, blindness does not exclude one from that communication. For hearing people, feelings, emotion, are exchanged by speech & sounds.

So looking at interaction between people, I can see that this is easier between two hearing persons of which one is blind, than between two persons that can see of which one is deaf.
This idea is probably clouded by me being able to hear.

Still, I remember my first encounter with a deaf person in which I tried to interact.
This was when I went from my work to go to my daughters first day in a deaf kindergarten.
Entering the playground, I saw my daughter being taken care of by an adult. I introduce myself and told her hse was playing with my daughter.
She said something back that I couldn't understand, since her speech is quite bad. This was when I realsied that I was handicapped because I didn't know sign. The communication stopped completely. She showed me where to enter the building. Only later, having learned sign and understanding her speech better I was able to communicate with her.

The feeling can be compared with being in a foreign country, where english is not used. France, Italy, Spain etc are like that.
At times, needing a simple thing, you can be completely helpless because the basic of communication is not understood.

So, in a way, looking at how 99% of the world communicates directly with other people, I can see that blindnes would be the lesser handicap.
(The question is... will I be in trouble for using the word... handicap??)

For hearing people, feelings, emotion, are exchanged by speech & sounds.
*shakes head*.....No, that's wrong. You obviously have never dealt with someone with Asperger's or HFA. Yes, part of feelings and emotions are transmitted by speech and sound, but it's more about facial expression etc.

deafdyke said:
*shakes head*.....No, that's wrong. You obviously have never dealt with someone with Asperger's or HFA. Yes, part of feelings and emotions are transmitted by speech and sound, but it's more about facial expression etc.
I haven't.
....and obviously being visual is also part of the communication...
I'm talking in general...

deafdyke said:

My *other* summer roommate (and the fourth guy who will be coming next week) has Asperger's. He's done a lot of hard work to learn how to interact in social settings, and it's impressive to see where he is. Not to say that you're completely wrong, but there's a whole range of manifestations of autism and Asperger's (which is actually a form of autism).

Mental/cognitive/emotional disabilities like Asperger's/autism suffer from the same kinds of stigma that physical and sensory disabilities used to. It will be interesting to see if and how that changes in the coming years.

I'll end this post with a quote from the Everything2 article on the acronym TAB, or Temporarily Able-Bodied: "If you have cognitive disabilities of some kind, it can be interesting to remind physically disabled people that they're only temporarily able-minded, a fact that many seem to fear almost as much as most able-bodied people fear physical disability."

True it isn't the same as mild "geek syndrome" Asperger's (and actually I'd have to say that mild "geek syndrome" Aspergers isn't too pathological)
but you could say that being an alien is very "dead on" descriptive of the more severe forms of Asperger's or autism. I mean there was this guy in my college class who had pretty severe Asperger's/ HFA (it's pretty hard to say which is which) and he would do the most asine things, like follow people around, walk into his RAs room while she was changing, talk about the skin on his arms being streachy etc.

deafdyke said:
True it isn't the same as mild "geek syndrome" Asperger's (and actually I'd have to say that mild "geek syndrome" Aspergers isn't too pathological)

It's become sort of "geek chic" to claim "I have undiagnosed Asperger's". But this guy is the real deal - fire alarms cause him major problems (the volume and the strobe), he has trouble understanding non-literal statements, the whole deal. Again, since you and I have disabilities that are physical and sensory, it's very easy to dismiss that as being "all in his head", "easily overcome", or to overstigmatize it (either way), but neither of those is correct.

Sweetmind said:
No wonder it s nothing new Jake O Donnell, Policeforum, Whistleblower, and many other nicknames that he is the same person all along.. Why cant he just show who he is with ONE nickname only
I certainly can't speak for Jake, but as one of your previous victims, I can say with certainty that many have had to resort to changing sn's to avoid YOUR wrath. You have personally banned more people than all the other mods I have ever known combined. You are the most prejudicial individual I have ever had the distaste to know.
Now don't go whining cuz I called you out specifically, afterall, that is exactly what you did to poor Jake and he isn't even here to defend himself. I only wish the same could be said of YOU.
(sorry to the rest of you for being off topic. I really should keep up in here)

it's very easy to dismiss that as being "all in his head", "easily overcome", or to overstigmatize it (either way), but neither of those is correct.
Nah, I'm just saying that some human behavoirs and oddities can be overpathologized, that's all.
That doesn't mean that ALL people are overpathologized. Your roomie and the kid I know from college, would be classified as having Asperger's/HFA, no matter what. But still......your roomie would probaly never totally feel comfortable with nereotypicals or function perfectly in nereotypcial society. Maybe he might do slightly better then my college mate......but still......

Eve A.K.A Whyldone said:
I certainly can't speak for Jake, but as one of your previous victims, I can say with certainty that many have had to resort to changing sn's to avoid YOUR wrath. You have personally banned more people than all the other mods I have ever known combined. You are the most prejudicial individual I have ever had the distaste to know.
Now don't go whining cuz I called you out specifically, afterall, that is exactly what you did to poor Jake and he isn't even here to defend himself. I only wish the same could be said of YOU.
(sorry to the rest of you for being off topic. I really should keep up in here)

I know you are not talking to me about the way I do things, "Mrs. post my nickname and picture with my grandson( for petes sake!) in gay.com" talk about distasteful!

And what about the others in this forum who namecall and all the other things I am accused of? Why is no one calling them out? why arent they being banned?

I have done the research on this guy...So its all factual...thats how I know he tried to destroy the deaf community and some of you are doing the same thing. Besides, some of you have trashed my name all over this forum. Not to mention destroying my topic...just like how some of you are trying to do to the deaf community.

Dont sit here and tell me what to do, I have tried to be on my best behavior with my posts...I will not allow anyone to abuse me. I want people to see the truth so they can be strong and fight for the deaf community for a damn good reason...This is our Deaf Culture...If you cant respect that then Dont Bother US! Deaf people have tried so hard to make unity between hearing and deaf and yet some of you still "beat us up"

Here is an example: VRS Interpreter..working for Deaf people...yet still degrades deaf people...you allow it to happen so what is your point? Further more you are latened deaf with negativity. So I wont deal with you. Ill just find others who are willing to work together instead of the constant putdowns and attempts to destroy us. That is what I'm standing up and working towards. It has to stop! Deaf people are people just the same and we have our rights. No one can stop us from telling the truth. That will make the difference.

:ty:
Sweetmind

Back