my son with ci

Yep, he used Hitler, Stalin, Mao and Bush...

You forgot free will, didn'tcha? God will help you, but he gave you free will.

my son

thank you for the support!!! People seem to forget that he was a hearing child for 1 year. and I read that the deaf is not objective about implanting a child if he was already hearing.His loss was in the 80-90 dbd and now he is hearing at 20dbd.across the audiogram. to me thats more than a little jump he went fro severe- mild.yet he is still deaf. amazing!!! I just want to say being a christain I am accepting of everyone. and yes my child is not sick . he also can be healed.. but neither was the blind man and the deaf that Jesus healed what makes their healing any different from the sick.I love my son more then life, and I know deep in my heart that we made the best decision..To hear my son say mama, dada, and turn to you ..what amazing gift to get back.. I know he will always be deaf.I just know that he wont be accepted in the deaf wourld. How hard you guys are,how will he be treated if he decides to meet some deaf.

I understand

Samantha,
I am a Christian too, and I agree with you 100%. My 15 month old son is profoundly deaf. Hearing aids are not providing any benefit. We are going through the process of CI candidacy and the audiologist tested him with his digital aids and got no improvement. We keep praying for a healing, but understand that most benefit is obtained when implantation is done before the age of 3. It is a tough decision. I would love to talk to you further. God Bless you and good luck with your son.

People seem to forget that he was a hearing child for 1 year. and I read that the deaf is not objective about implanting a child if he was already hearing
True........that's b/c deafened kids still have the sound memory....Part of the reason why some Deaf activists are anti-CI is b/c for kids who have never heard sound, as sound learning to interpret sound can be VERY difficult.

samantha kennel said:
Thanks for the people who support me, I hope we get some friends here. :) :angel:

We always will support parents who wants the best for their children :)

samantha kennel said:
I cant change my son , he will always be deaf. but he also has the chance to hear. Its amazing what it can do for someone. I will never try and change my son we know he is deaf. It is evident every time the implant is off.I cant argue with the chance to have a second chance at something that was taking away.He has the best of both worlds.!Never give up on prayer.!!! Thanks for the people who support me, I hope we get some friends here. :) :angel:

I'm happy you made the right choice for your son and family. Sounds like he's doing great with the implant. :) I got one almost two months ago, beats the HA's alot. You are giving you son a chance to live life without having to be dependent on interpetors and relay operators. I hope his jouney adapting to sound and spoken words continues to amaze you. :)

samantha kennel said:
i just want to tell people that we prayed long and hard about the implant. my son was born hearing and lost most of it. I want my son to have the chance to hear again.. I cant change my son , he will always be deaf. but he also has the chance to hear. Its amazing what it can do for someone. I will never try and change my son we know he is deaf. It is evident every time the implant is off.I cant argue with the chance to have a second chance at something that was taking away.He has the best of both worlds.Even my two older children know that he is deaf even though he hasthe implant.My kids are my world.and I did what I felt was best for my son.I don't know when God will heal him of his deafness, I know he will be healed one day. but until then I want this chance for Him. I always say"I am waiting to see what God can do,But now I am doing what man can do"!Never give up on prayer.!!! Thanks for the people who support me, I hope we get some friends here. :) :angel:

Welcome Samantha! I support you, it is obvious that you are a loving mum who just wants to provide as many choices and options to your child early on. Nothing wrong with that! And moreover, you are educating yourself on the different viewpoints in the deaf world by coming to this website. This to me shows that you care very much about your son and about how he might possibly feel when he is older.

Don't worry about some of the more black and white views here. It's easy for people to give their 2 cents to someone they have never even met and who is hidden behind a screen. You are the mum, you have the choices to make - other people can change their minds at any time in their lives but the choices you make now will affect your son for the rest of his life. For this reason it's important not to be pressurized in any way because opinion in any community is very fluid and subject to change. There was a similar reaction against hearing aids when they first came out in the 1940s. More importantly, the views don't represent most of the deaf world. Many deaf people out there don't even come to this website as they don't see it as a big part of their identity.

Hope to see more of you!

:gossip:

samantha kennel said:
i just want to tell people that we prayed long and hard about the implant. my son was born hearing and lost most of it. I want my son to have the chance to hear again.. I cant change my son , he will always be deaf. but he also has the chance to hear. Its amazing what it can do for someone. I will never try and change my son we know he is deaf. It is evident every time the implant is off.I cant argue with the chance to have a second chance at something that was taking away.He has the best of both worlds.Even my two older children know that he is deaf even though he hasthe implant.My kids are my world.and I did what I felt was best for my son.I don't know when God will heal him of his deafness, I know he will be healed one day. but until then I want this chance for Him. I always say"I am waiting to see what God can do,But now I am doing what man can do"!Never give up on prayer.!!! Thanks for the people who support me, I hope we get some friends here. :) :angel:
I can fully appreciate your choice.
As parents of a deaf (third) child I can see that have everyone in the family hearing is the best you can do for the child, for yourself and for the rest of the family and friends.
As as for God... he gave you a wonderful opportunity... and you took it.

Overseas support

samantha kennel said:
thank you for the support!!!

Sam,

A word to give you an overseas support. We spent one year before choising CI for our son. Definitly that was the right decision for him. He's still deaf but we hope he'll have an better life in an hearing world.

Hope the same for you and your family

JJ

Back