my son with ci

samantha kennel

Reaction score
i just want to tell people that we prayed long and hard about the implant. my son was born hearing and lost most of it. I want my son to have the chance to hear again.. I cant change my son , he will always be deaf. but he also has the chance to hear. Its amazing what it can do for someone. I will never try and change my son we know he is deaf. It is evident every time the implant is off.I cant argue with the chance to have a second chance at something that was taking away.He has the best of both worlds.Even my two older children know that he is deaf even though he hasthe implant.My kids are my world.and I did what I felt was best for my son.I don't know when God will heal him of his deafness, I know he will be healed one day. but until then I want this chance for Him. I always say"I am waiting to see what God can do,But now I am doing what man can do"!Never give up on prayer.!!! Thanks for the people who support me, I hope we get some friends here. :) :angel:

You know you made the right choice for your son. I made the right choice for my girls. You don't have to feel guilty about having you son CI. You want him to have a good life where he can hear lot of things like music etc...and also he can mix with hearing people. My girls have some hearing loss but they still have the best of both worlds. They goes to hearing school, summer camp, gymnastics, Irish dancing etc..you name it. They are normal children, the only problem they have is they are deaf. Deaf people can do anything expect they can't hear!! Is that true??? :)

samantha kennel said:
i just want to tell people that we prayed long and hard about the implant. my son was born hearing and lost most of it. I want my son to have the chance to hear again.. I cant change my son , he will always be deaf. but he also has the chance to hear. Its amazing what it can do for someone. I will never try and change my son we know he is deaf. It is evident every time the implant is off.I cant argue with the chance to have a second chance at something that was taking away.He has the best of both worlds.Even my two older children know that he is deaf even though he hasthe implant.My kids are my world.and I did what I felt was best for my son.I don't know when God will heal him of his deafness, I know he will be healed one day. but until then I want this chance for Him. I always say"I am waiting to see what God can do,But now I am doing what man can do"!Never give up on prayer.!!! Thanks for the people who support me, I hope we get some friends here. :) :angel:
You made the right choice. Now your son looks up to you, so all you have to do is teach him the proper way. One world, one god, one universe, share it with others. I am so tired of bickering people who thinks are the best, wrong, or mistaken. Just teach your son to be a good person and judgmental of his own, not anyone else. Your son is now in your hands. God is there for you beyond your hands. Stay in faith with god.

Samantha kennel, attitudes towards CIs have changed drasticly in the past few years. I used to be anti-CI, but I now realize that it's very possible to be a part of the deaf-world even with a CI! Your attitude that you want your child to have the best of both worlds should really help.

Never mind the god...you need to understand that CI do NOT restore hearing; they only translate certain environmental sounds into electrical impulses. Presenting them as "bionic ears" or "miracle cures" is misleading and raises false hopes among the parents of children who are Deaf. And do you think an increase in hearing ability of mere 10 db for environmental sounds is worth the risk, the expense, and the loss of opportunity to benefit from future technology?

Sorry for being realistic...

Cynical Vez said:
Never mind the god...you need to understand that CI do NOT restore hearing; they only translate certain environmental sounds into electrical impulses. Presenting them as "bionic ears" or "miracle cures" is misleading and raises false hopes among the parents of children who are Deaf. And do you think an increase in hearing ability of mere 10 db for environmental sounds is worth the risk, the expense, and the loss of opportunity to benefit from future technology?

You can be as realistic as you want to be. At least that kid got something to develop habit on, yet if it isn't 100% effective. Like me and few others, we're ultra sensitive to vibrations. There is even a profound deaf girl that talk on phone by feeling speaker!!! Same analogue with CI, "false hopes" is a degradatory statement, something to pull people down. CI is something that we provide in an ATTEMPT to help and improve, even at EARLIEST stage in life is best way to get started with. The more we try, the more feedback scientists recieve to innovate the existing technology available to us all. The more innovate the technology becomes, it might eventually help us to be able to "hear" as normally as hearing people do.

GoldenLeaf74 said:
acutally CI is full of bullshit. My opinion.

I agree since hearing aid and CI devices are the same behaviorial patterns that doesnt help Deaf children to hear everything. This is real big pointless to force and conform Deaf children into a hearing child and hearing world only. Thats a real against Deaf children s will. Sighs! I actually feel sorry for Deaf children that has no choice for themselves that I dont agree with.

What makes them think that we Deaf people are not in both worlds! Ha! I find this is a real outrageous for them to say many lies about us Deaf people in this society. Thats their excuses to say many negative comments about Deaf people and our Deaf community to make many innocent hearing parents to believe. Thats how CI professional misused them that is totally wrong.

:ty:
Sweetmind

Cynical Vez said:

Thats very true. It s all about money issue.. Scoffs!

samantha kennel said:

You need to learn to accept for who he is. God makes him Deaf for some good reason. I encouraged you to particular Deaf Community and learn in ASL language. Unforunately, he always be Deaf rest of the life. :deaf:

You should be thankful for a beautiful son as God bless this.

God does not heal him to become hearing !! cochlear implants is made by man not from God. *sigh*

LinuxGold said:
You can be as realistic as you want to be. At least that kid got something to develop habit on, yet if it isn't 100% effective. Like me and few others, we're ultra sensitive to vibrations. There is even a profound deaf girl that talk on phone by feeling speaker!!! Same analogue with CI, "false hopes" is a degradatory statement, something to pull people down. CI is something that we provide in an ATTEMPT to help and improve, even at EARLIEST stage in life is best way to get started with. The more we try, the more feedback scientists recieve to innovate the existing technology available to us all. The more innovate the technology becomes, it might eventually help us to be able to "hear" as normally as hearing people do.

I am afraid to come nearby you when I have a cochlear implants. Your orgasm is too high volume than Rock and Roll music. It may explose my ears.

Stay away from me !! LinuxGold :dj:

LinuxGold said:

I see your point but it is symptomatic of a "hope" attitude that degrades and insults the Deaf person. It perpetuates the view of Deafness as a pathological condition IMO.

Sweetmind said:
I agree since hearing aid and CI devices are the same behaviorial patterns that doesnt help Deaf children to hear everything. This is real big pointless to force and conform Deaf children into a hearing child and hearing world only. Thats a real against Deaf children s will. Sighs! I actually feel sorry for Deaf children that has no choice for themselves that I dont agree with.

What makes them think that we Deaf people are not in both worlds! Ha! I find this is a real outrageous for them to say many lies about us Deaf people in this society. Thats their excuses to say many negative comments about Deaf people and our Deaf community to make many innocent hearing parents to believe. Thats how CI professional misused them that is totally wrong.

:ty:
Sweetmind

Yep. Such excuses simply encourage the parents to continue to reject the reality of their child's deafness. It doesn't justify the emotional, physical, and psychological suffering that the implanted child undergoes in the years before he/she recognizes and accepts his/her identity as a member of the Deaf community. And speaking of "CI professionals" or doctors, more and more frequently, they are bending the existing criteria to urge implants. They wouldn't normally do so in the cases of other invasive surgeries or disability-related treatment - for example, they don't routinely recommend removing the eyes of blind people, or amputating the limbs of wheelchair users - so why do they think it's appropiate to waive the criteria for CI?!?

Hi, your feelings are very common. No other people know better what is best for your own son. Don't make them make you feel any different. You thought so hard about it before going ahead with the implant, and that is very good as with any other surgeries in the world. I would have loved to have had an implant as a child, but at that time, I know I would not have been eligible. Your son has that possibility. How would I have decided as a child to say, "I want an implant?" if I was too little? As a child, you could tell that I wanted to hear, so making that choice would not have been a no-no. It's so much easier to develop language at that age when parent work with their kid everyday along with the required therapies, so that later on it's not so hard. No one else know how to have raised me than my mother, and I do not regret her choices on how to raise me. Don't let anyone who is against it or ignorant tell you how to do otherwise. Listen to yourself and God.

God does not heal him to become hearing !! cochlear implants is made by man not from God. *sigh*

Some people forget that God uses people to improve the lives of others. Why don't you strip your clothes off as they are man made?

Cynical Vez said:
Yep. Such excuses simply encourage the parents to continue to reject the reality of their child's deafness. It doesn't justify the emotional, physical, and psychological suffering that the implanted child undergoes in the years before he/she recognizes and accepts his/her identity as a member of the Deaf community. And speaking of "CI professionals" or doctors, more and more frequently, they are bending the existing criteria to urge implants. They wouldn't normally do so in the cases of other invasive surgeries or disability-related treatment - for example, they don't routinely recommend removing the eyes of blind people, or amputating the limbs of wheelchair users - so why do they think it's appropiate to waive the criteria for CI?!?

yeah I agree with you, CI can recovery for better hear but can't be restore back to normal as hearing. I am sure you know myself suffer disability of CP can't be recovery as normal walk like people do.
by the way, I really believe Doctors or Profesionals know that CI destory to deaf kid to be their identity

ClearSky said:
Some people forget that God uses people to improve the lives of others. Why don't you strip your clothes off as they are man made?

Yep, he used Hitler, Stalin, Mao and Bush...:blah:

Samantha Kennel,

Glad to hear that it is working for your son! He has a chance to make in both worlds for sure unlike some that claim otherwise. I'm one of many in your corner. You're right it is amazing what it can do for a person...I have one myself...been there and done that.

Back