My son is Deaf, Finally!

Like that deaf father for not making his child wear her implants. There is something seriously wrong with that picture.

Exactly. Anyone who believes these things don't continue to happen at an alarming rate has their head in the sand. Or, not much contact with the real world the deaf endure.

I get the point behind the video. Makes a lot of sense.

I used to love to take hearing friends to a ball game or some other event at my son's deaf school and watch their reaction to being stuck in an environment where they felt totally out of place. I always said,"This was a learning experience for you. This is what the deaf endure each and every day in the hearing world. Remember this experience."

I used to love to take hearing friends to a ball game or some other event at my son's deaf school and watch their reaction to being stuck in an environment where they felt totally out of place. I always said,"This was a learning experience for you. This is what the deaf endure each and every day in the hearing world. Remember this experience."

My in laws never stay long at our bbq parties because there are too many deaf people. Oh well.

My in laws never stay long at our bbq parties because there are too many deaf people. Oh well.

People generally don't like it when the situations are reversed. Makes them think about how insensitive they are to the deaf.

Wirelessly posted

Couple deaf walked out of church because of lack of signing ( a 14 years old was interpreting).Everyone thought it was rude. I thought they were brave.

Wirelessly posted

Couple deaf walked out of church because of lack of signing ( a 14 years old was interpreting).Everyone thought it was rude. I thought they were brave.

I agree. If the services are inadequate, walk out. You do not have to accept whatever some hearing person thinks is sufficient.

Wirelessly posted

jillio said:
deafgal001 said:

I agree. If the services are inadequate, walk out. You do not have to accept whatever some hearing person thinks is sufficient.

I think it funny they think it is rude when they themselves won't hang out with deaf people for long. They can be the rude ones.

Last edited:
My fiance and I (Both hearing) went to a Deaf christmas program at a local school last night. John has only a handful of signs and never been around Deaf people. (Niether have I for that matter) John later told me as we were leaving that he noticed a lot of rude hearing people who would bump into him without saying anything or not move out of the way when we tried to pass (Mostly kids!!). He said he got a lot of signed "excuse me" and "sorry" when he was bumped by the adults and kids who were deaf tho.

You know, just because a Deaf person says they were thrilled to discover their child was deaf, does not mean that they are not thrilled to have the child regardless of their hearing status. I doubt seriously that PFH would have rejected his child had she been hearing.

Wirelessly posted

jillio said:
You know, just because a Deaf person says they were thrilled to discover their child was deaf, does not mean that they are not thrilled to have the child regardless of their hearing status. I doubt seriously that PFH would have rejected his child had she been hearing.

Are you really worried someone might think that about PFH?

having a hearing child is like a special need child to me. I have to talk more, listen more, make sure he have speech therapy, talk to hearing teachers at his school, etc. I would be happy with either deaf or hearing, though.

I know when my kids were born, I was just thrilled to have them healthy. (Daughter was severely dehydrated at birth and gained 2 pounds before going home even after a birth weight of 12.5 lbs.). I was slightly dismayed that they passed their newborn hearing test with no discernible hearing loss. I was then relieved and slightly thrilled when 3-4 years later they both tested as having a hearing loss. I think it was more that I didn't want to be the only one anymore in my home with a hearing loss. Now, I am slightly worried about son's progressively worsening hearing loss. He is fine with it and adjusting quite well. I know I have nothing to worry about, so, what's wrong with me? I think it's just a normal mother/parent's worry.

Wirelessly posted

Sure I am. Especially when it is being insinuated that he would not love his daughter if she had been hearing. It portrays him as an extremist, and he is anything but. He is simply a realist and is being honest. I'd love to see more of that around here.

having a hearing child is like a special need child to me. I have to talk more, listen more, make sure he have speech therapy, talk to hearing teachers at his school, etc. I would be happy with either deaf or hearing, though.

Exactly. You have to make adjustments, but you don't love your child any less.

I know when my kids were born, I was just thrilled to have them healthy. (Daughter was severely dehydrated at birth and gained 2 pounds before going home even after a birth weight of 12.5 lbs.). I was slightly dismayed that they passed their newborn hearing test with no discernible hearing loss. I was then relieved and slightly thrilled when 3-4 years later they both tested as having a hearing loss. I think it was more that I didn't want to be the only one anymore in my home with a hearing loss. Now, I am slightly worried about son's progressively worsening hearing loss. He is fine with it and adjusting quite well. I know I have nothing to worry about, so, what's wrong with me? I think it's just a normal mother/parent's worry.

Absolutely. It is just a normal parent's worry. Nothing wrong with you at all.

Wirelessly posted

jillio said:
GrendelQ said:

Sure I am. Especially when it is being insinuated that he would not love his daughter if she had been hearing. It portrays him as an extremist, and he is anything but. He is simply a realist and is being honest. I'd love to see more of that around here.

I don't think that any of the 3 parents who expanded his statement by saying they were happy to have a child, regardless of hearing status were in any way insinuating anything negative about PFH's love for his daughter -- that's pretty twisted thinking.

Last edited:
Wirelessly posted

I don't think that any of the 3 parents who expanded his statement by saying they were hap

Click the submit button too soon?

Of course you don't think that. You are still seeing things from a hearing perspective.

Back