My son is Deaf, Finally!

blank canvas

Reaction score
*Deleted* (don't want to cause any issues) it was a youtube video

Last edited:
Wirelessly posted

Actually, it is already posted about that video. =)

I looked it up and in the middle of the vid I thought "This has to be a hoax. I cannot see any parent doing this." and I am glad I was right.

I have NEVER met any deaf parent who want to make their hearing children deaf but we do make them Deaf! :lol:

Actually, I have already seen the YouTube video of My son is deaf, finally. It is an example of why hearing parents want to make their son or daughter to hear like them. Most of the parents do not want to sign halfway at all. Or not even being interest in meeting the needs of deaf children, when the deaf children struggle trying to learn to speak and listen. CI surgery is not going to make them one hundred percent hearing like listening. Do we, Deaf people, have to struggle and feel like we are being betray when no one is not willing to help us to communicate with hearing people by signing?

I tried to talk to my parents about signing ASL or sign language when I was in high school, so that we can meet halfway. But no, they were not interested in that and told me that I can communicated with them by speaking and lipreading them. That was enough for them. I was very upset and angry with my parents. They just wanted the easy way out of not using the sign language at all. I have to pay the price when I need visual aid very badly. It just hurt me so much. No wonder I am doing poorly in mainstream schools and not getting the needs of visual aids.

If I want to have my son who is hearing to be deaf like me. I would love that in a heartbeat. But I am also glad that he can sign to me at home instead of public when he was growing up. So communicating with me in ASL help me very much and understand better than lipreading. :D

Sounds to me like your parents did not respect you enough to meet you halfway. Sadly, this is the case for a lot of deaf children of hearing parents. The parents think the child is doing fine as long as they 'behave like normal children'. My mom is the same way, she justified by saying I was the one with the disability, I needed to make the effort. What irritated me is the fact that the one year I finally got the support services I needed, I was actually doing quite well in school, all A's and B's. The next year my FM system and support services were taken away because the parents of other students were afraid I was getting more attention than them. Not surprisingly I did poorly in school thereafter I was I was not receiving all of the information just bits and pieces of it. Later I just started looking up stuff online for myself to fill in the holes, once I started doing this I found myself on the honor roll again and I was eventually inducted into the National Honor Society. My parents actually believed I was 'remedial' because I couldn't do what my brother could (he's hearing).

Years later I was being tutored in College Mathematics and my tutor told my dad that I was actually very intelligent and that I knew my algebra quite well. It was the fact that I never got the basics is what was causing my trouble. I had a shoddy foundation to build upon. I took the ACT 3-4 times to finally get that 32. But after that many times you know what to study for pretty much.

When I found out I was pregnant, I told myself I would not raise my child like that if they are deaf/hoh. I will make sure they have the communication tools they need to succeed not just in the classroom but in life. However, my DD is fully hearing. My mom frowns upon us signing and thinks if it is not English, its not worthy. I just hope my daughter does not pick up the same attitudes.

Actually, I have already seen the YouTube video of My son is deaf, finally. It is an example of why hearing parents want to make their son or daughter to hear like them. Most of the parents do not want to sign halfway at all. Or not even being interest in meeting the needs of deaf children, when the deaf children struggle trying to learn to speak and listen. CI surgery is not going to make them one hundred percent hearing like listening. Do we, Deaf people, have to struggle and feel like we are being betray when no one is not willing to help us to communicate with hearing people by signing?

I tried to talk to my parents about signing ASL or sign language when I was in high school, so that we can meet halfway. But no, they were not interested in that and told me that I can communicated with them by speaking and lipreading them. That was enough for them. I was very upset and angry with my parents. They just wanted the easy way out of not using the sign language at all. I have to pay the price when I need visual aid very badly. It just hurt me so much. No wonder I am doing poorly in mainstream schools and not getting the needs of visual aids.

If I want to have my son who is hearing to be deaf like me. I would love that in a heartbeat. But I am also glad that he can sign to me at home instead of public when he was growing up. So communicating with me in ASL help me very much and understand better than lipreading. :D

Thats why I think that video makes a GREAT point, I was just told it was already posted and the thread locked, didn't want to cause an issue so I deleted it. Personally I think as a parent your supposed to change your life for your kids not your kids for your life. It makes me sad to hear stories like that, I have a friend who's mom put her through exploratory surgeries trying to figure out how to 'fix' her rather than learning to sign and just accepting her, they now have no relationship now that she is an adult. It breaks my heart and I think the video kind of opens peoples eyes by turning the tables.

I'm hearing and when I first saw this video, I believe a year ago I was angry at the very idea. I always loved ASL but I was just getting into actually studying about the Deaf culture, history etc. Recently I re-watched the video and I'm happy to say my views on the video have changed. I went from angry to actually seeing the man's point. Why is it in our society should we be up in arms if two Deaf people decided to make their hearing child deaf? But when two hearing parents make their deaf child "hearing" we nod our heads in approval? I asked my Fiance and his two kids (13 & 12) what they would do if their child was born deaf. All three of them said they would make sure their child learned to lip read and ASL was their first language. I'm so proud..I guess I rubbed off on them after all :D

Boy, he was shocked that the Social Worker came to his door and wondered if he had a son who became deaf. He told them that his dog is his son. He never thought that the Social Worker would cause him his problem about his video vlog talking about his son becoming deaf. They would not do that to the hearing parents (CI for their child) but they would do that to the deaf parents and take their son or daughter (remove from the hearing child's cochlear) from them. Geeze. :roll:

Boy, he was shocked that the Social Worker came to his door and wondered if he had a son who became deaf. He told them that his dog is his son. He never thought that the Social Worker would cause him his problem about his video vlog talking about his son becoming deaf. They would not do that to the hearing parents (CI for their child) but they would do that to the deaf parents and take their son or daughter (remove from the hearing child's cochlear) from them. Geeze. :roll:

Geez? Really? Are you saying that if he had actually done this, that it is ok? (Yeah, I know he didn't, but IF)

Wirelessly posted

They way I saw it is that she was talking about the hypocrisy in CI.

Wirelessly posted

She thinks both is wrong.

The Social Worker is wrong as it is up to the individuals like the Deaf parents if they had decided if they want to make the hearing son or daughter to be deaf. This is a wishful thinking and many of us, Deafies, would love to have them become deaf like us. And yes, it is about CI hypocrisy. :ty:

Wirelessly posted

I would not wish my son to be deaf. And if I had a deaf child, would not wish him to be hearing. I appreciate what they were born with. All it matters they are healthy

Back