my situation just got a lot worse

A

apathrev

The past couple of weeks have been hell on me. Between work and school, I have hard a hard time enjoying life and things were becoming far too stressful. I'm currently on a custom work schedule made to accompany my class schedule. I went into work today and found out not only are we having a bid this month, but I will not be allowed to keep my schedule, meaning I could very well end up with a work schedule that overlaps my classes. I just can't win at all. I think its clear this time I have to choose work. I need the money, and this semester was nothing more than a jumpstart for next year at GPC. The advantage is I can go back to working full time and I start saving money earlier for my move next year to Atlanta. Just seems like I'm never going to get a break at life. *sigh*

im sorry.. don't stress over work and school.. it gives you gray hairs ...i'm sure if not this year next year will be better for you just be positive :thumb:

how can being a relay operator be hard work, when
all you have to do is dial, type, and speak...

I don't understand?

Miss*Pinocchio said:
I don't understand?
And the probability that you ever will is roughly equal to the probability that seven large asteroids will strike the Earth in the next twenty minutes… :squint: :roll:

Ouch, I'm sorry to hear that. Try to keep positive thoughts. It's tough when some schedules can't go with the classes' hours and it's frustrating. I don't work yet while I'm still attending college classes. But doesn't mean that I'm free, I have kids to drop off at their schools, pick up after schools, cooking dinners, cleaning up though they join in the chores. Helping them with their homeworks and I have to do my own essays on computers. Telling them to take showers and heading off to sleep. <sigh> My hair is already grayish. :o Oh, well. Consider I'm 35. :eek: I'm too young to have white strands on my head. It started small when I was 28 and it spreaded wild now.

Keep your chin up, because very soon, the gloomy experience will turn better.

Please keep positive thoughts so you won't end up with a lot of white strands on my hair. ;) I'm sure grayish hair looks nice on people. :giggle:

:hug: Cental, I am so sorry to hear this is happening to you now! Trying to fit your schedule where you can work, go to school and at least have some time for yourself should not be a stressful time for you. Especially at your age. Why on earth are people making things so difficult for you at your job? Your education is the most important thing in life, next to getting a great job in the future. Hang in there Cental, I hope these new people that come in will be you a lot of consideration knowing that you are trying to work and get an education at the same time without having any time to yourself. You deserve that much!!!
I don't agree that being a relay operator is such an easy job! It's not just dialing away, speaking or typing. It's also dealing with hang ups, disgruntled people, and lot of nice people too. Being a relay operator can be emotionally stressful at times too.
Just hang in there, things will work out for you, I know it!!

I don't think a lot of people are even aware of what being a relay operator entails, Mrs. P. Its not just relaying calls for deaf people. Its knowingly and unwillingly aiding in credit card fraud that you can't always prevent. Its humiliating yourself by repeating whatever degrading phrases some little teenage punk can come up with for their own amusement. I suggest you keep your fucking mouth shut. You don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

Thanks for the words of encouragement, everyone. My high school history said it to me best in a recent email: "It's hard finding a good paying career without a college degree." And don't think I'm settling on this dead end job. For now, I need the money. I need to keep my head above water. I'm drowning in debt, my car needs work, I need a guitar refinished, I need to save thousands of dollars by next Spring. I hate this more than anything.

Miss*Pinocchio said:
how can being a relay operator be hard work, when
all you have to do is dial, type, and speak...

I don't understand?

and thats why I advocate you putting the bong down :-P

whatever, just trying to help....

my cousin got pregnant at age 18,
and she goes to 2 years college...
majoring in accounting...
and she is taking care of her child who is now 9 years old...
and she is very frustrating...

imagine that.... every weekdays..

wake up
wake up kid
dress the kid
then she gets ready for work
fix breakfast
take her to school
and then she goes to work as clerk
then she get off work
call and see if someone (especially her mother) is babysitting her child.
then she goes to night school
then she go pick up her child
and then she study at home
give child a bath
fix dinner
and then child and her go to bed.

And she be tired all the time....

There are some people out there who have such hard time than you....

She doesn't always smile... and she told me, "she wish she can
stay at home and collect SSI... just like me."

Wow that is a good compliment....

Her baby's father won't pay child support, been in and out
of jail for stealing, refusing to pay child support, and other problems...

My cousin does all of that by herself supporting her child...
her dream was to be a Super Model, because she is so beautiful...
That is sad that her dream didn't come true.

She refused to be on welfare.

Miss*Pinocchio said:

wake up
wake up kid
dress the kid
fix breakfast
take her to school
then she get off work
give child a bath
fix dinner

That has absolutely nothing to do with me. Fuck you.

Miss*Pinocchio said:

wake up
wake up kid
dress the kid
fix breakfast
take her to school
then she get off work
give child a bath
fix dinner

Miss p.. everything you said is hogwash.. how can that be ur cousin have a 9 yrs old son and is in college for 2 yrs?? was she in college the whole time? yeah right... :sure: like i believe ya!

and dont annoy cental.. hes going thru hard times and u are making big deal over this. :thumbd:

a 2 year college is for students who can finish their major within 2 years...

but my cousin is still in that college... struggling...
while she has a daughter to feed and work....

She hasn't finish up that college...

Just like it takes some people longer to graduate from a 4 year college.

Same thing with my sister who is 41...
and she has been in colleges since age 18...
and she is in the Navy, working....
going to night school, and taking care of her son...

She gets upset because failing classes....

So I am trying to compare to my cousin and my sister to Cental...
his situation isn't as bad...
just trying to cheer him up...

but I guess not.

Cental, I never went to college myself after high school. I worked in an office once I graduated.
But? Being a Relay Operator? :nono: not a dead end job!!! No way!!! Aside from the credit card fraud, and the punks who say slimey things that you have to repeat.
Do you Cental, YOU have any idea how many smiles you have put on people's faces? Parent's having to use you to call their children or grandchildre that are deaf, and because of YOU they can talk to them through your gracious deed as a relay operator. Deaf employees that need to call their hearing bosses when they are out sick, because of YOU, this message gets across they won't be showing up for work today, instead of being a guessing game to the supervisor.
Long time friends who haven't seen or talk to each other for years. Finally can get to talk to each other through the relay, and share wonderful and sad stories, catch up on what's going on in their lives and why? Because of people like YOU Cental who make this wonderful world of communication happen!!!! Your job is not dead end Cental, you give life back to the deaf/hearing by allowing them to communicate with each other.
You have no idea Cental how valuable you really are!!!! Maybe this message will make you realize that because of your skills and professionalism, you have allowed two people to bond together even for just a few minutes. You put smiles on peoples faces when they can contact each other through YOU, because this is the part of the job that should be rewarding, even though you may feel it's not.
You have the ways and means to bring a deaf and hearing person together no matter what the reason is, and allow them to communicate for whatever the reason they may need to communicate. That is not dead end Cental, that is magical, because without someone like you? This could never have happened!!!
The more of your postings I have read in the last few weeks, you have meant more to me, because no matter what the barrier is? You have broken it down, and you won't let anything stop you because you have goals and you have dreams, and these you truly deserve!!! You are a survivor my dear one, a survivor!!!!!
:hug: :kiss: :ily:

central34,
Sorry to hear you're disappointed about not continuing with your classes. But do keep your chin up and try your best to complete your course eventually.

Why not do some subjects through correspondence if it's accreditated by the college?

central34,
u good work do... yes hard.. same me w/ read English.. U read asl.. try terp correct chat both wrlds... before now relay TTD orp... me only gap wrld... Now VPO gap same...
miss p have zero gap wrld !... Central ppl do like wht do U same me....
me 33 yrs have TTD.. now 2 yr VP... Me both phone diff fmly frds... all have none VP now... u work go... think gap me wrld... U smile me...

Have better day! Zero listen Miss P... She undstnd zero!...Mad ppl undstnd none gap... Me happy Central... U gap wrld me...

LMM

Miss P, as a fellow ADer, I only have to ask you to stop your OT'ing for your self defeating purposes.

cental - If it helps, Chris' mother was a relay operator for Ohio Relay Service as well, this was a part time job. This was a difficult job because it was a "rotation" shift job and she couldn't have one particular shift she preferred. She did mention to Chris that the relay operator jobs were best suited as "part time" jobs rather than "full time" jobs and flexibility was always needed for this position.

CODA and LMN. You two both just put a big smile on my face. In this job, its so easy to feel unappreciated, and a lot of the time I forget how many people I actually help. Its hard to remember what my actual role is at times. There have been times I've wanted to quit. Where I was too overwhelmed. Thanks for the inspirational words. I don't know why I'm so quick to look at the things I hate about this job, that I'm also quick to forget what I love about it. For now, its the only imteraction with the deaf community I have and if nothing else, it helps to give me a better understanding of deaf culture and asl grammar.

School is a top priority for me, no doubt. But it is not fundamental right now. I'm in no hurry, especially when I don't even know what I want to major in. Ever since my parents learned I'm studying ASL, they've attempted pushing me to try interpreting. Even before I started this school semester, I had planned on attending GPC starting next summer, which is why I'm not as concerned about school as some people think I should be.

cental34 said:
School is a top priority for me, no doubt. But it is not fundamental right now. I'm in no hurry, especially when I don't even know what I want to major in. Ever since my parents learned I'm studying ASL, they've attempted pushing me to try interpreting. Even before I started this school semester, I had planned on attending GPC starting next summer, which is why I'm not as concerned about school as some people think I should be.

I'm glad school is top priority for you. You mentioned you were studying ASL and being pushed into interpreting along with attending GPC. Just wanted to give you advice, don't put all your eggs in the basket before you go to the market. It is great that you can have the relay operator job for the meantime and go to school to study another career aspect involving ASL, just take your time though.

Cookie Monster said:
I'm glad school is top priority for you. You mentioned you were studying ASL and being pushed into interpreting along with attending GPC. Just wanted to give you advice, don't put all your eggs in the basket before you go to the market. It is great that you can have the relay operator job for the meantime and go to school to study another career aspect involving ASL, just take your time though.

Like I said. I'm still not sure what I would like to do for a career, I've actually almost completely ruled interpreting out of the question. I still do plan on attending GPC and taking ASL courses, but that is pretty much it.

Back