My sister's getting her wisdom teeth out tomorrow!

coolgirlspyer90

Reaction score
So my almost 16-year old sister is getting her wisdom teeth out tomorrow. I'm a little bit nervous for her! because she does not tolerate pain very well and because well i'm a little protective of her.

Her mouth surgery is going to start at 8AM tomorrow. So, i might not be on AD as much tomorrow while i'm helping my mom take care of my sister. My dad will be working tomorrow. Luckily for me I don't have wisdom teeth. But I feel bad for my sister that she has to get her wisdom teeth removed. She has 4 to be removed. :thumbd: I'm planning on getting up a little bit early to help clean up the house some before my sister gets back home from whatever place she's going to get her mouth done. Since my sister took care of me while i was recovering from 2 CI surgeries, It's my turn to help take care of her :D I'll try and give updates to see how's she doing!!

quick question for those who had wisdom teeth removed; after surgery, did any of you guys acted funny or weird because of the anthesia or remember anything after surgery? Because watching all those youtube videos of the aftermath of wisdom teeth surgery (i was curious..) they all acted funny!

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

I had all 4 of mine out - two were impacted. I was awake for mine, just local freezing.

It was very quick, not really painful at all. I took the day off work, but if it wasn't for the specific type of job I have I would have been comfortable heading back to work right from the Dentist/oral surgeon's office.

I think I took one tylonel total and that was it.

I've had 3 removed (one by one); all done with a local anesthetic. I had no pain during any of my extractions. There was some stiffness and soreness after, but, I have always been incredibly lucky. *Some* suffer terribly with pain and swelling after they get all four of their teeth removed at once. There is also some bleeding involved. She will undoubtedly be given pain medication for afterward and be told to use ice. I was not allowed to eat for about 45 mins after the teeth were removed. This was to be sure that all the bleeding had stopped and I didn't knock off the clot. If you do, something called a dry socket can form, and, that is NO fun!

As far as the anesthetic is concerned, I had a local so I cannot speak to the medication used to be put out with. However, during the procedures I had, the medications used to numb my mouth always worked well and I felt nearly nothing during each removal. About the only thing I did feel was a lot of pulling and tugging. My most recent extraction was in February right before my Dad died.

Good luck to her!

I had all 4 of mine out - two were impacted. I was awake for mine, just local freezing.
Same here; awake the whole time.

It was very quick, not really painful at all. I took the day off work, but if it wasn't for the specific type of job I have I would have been comfortable heading back to work right from the Dentist/oral surgeon's office.

I think I took one tylonel total and that was it.
I had a couple that were impacted also. My surgery was a struggle. The doctor had me make a fist to support my jaw while he took a mallet and chisel to it. Ouch!

I went to work the next day but they sent me home. The reason is, I worked in headquarters public affairs office, dealing with the public, and I looked terrible. My whole lower face and neck were dark black and blue, and swollen. I looked like I had been in a street fight. :lol:

My daughter was about 16 when she had her wisdom teeth removed. She was put into a light sleep. She was nauseous after, same as when she had knee surgery. She didn't have as bad swelling and bruising that I had. (I was in my early 20's when I had mine removed.)

i had all four out sametime two were impacted,they were pulled cut and drilled out,i also held something while he chipped them out,had stiches in each socket and looked like hampster for two weeks i was 19 at the time
it sounds like torchure but it not as bad as i describe it but it no picinic,i took few paracetamol and nytol to sleep for few days but ok after that...she be fine but perhaps been better not to ask her experience may be a breeze

So my almost 16-year old sister is getting her wisdom teeth out tomorrow. I'm a little bit nervous for her! because she does not tolerate pain very well and because well i'm a little protective of her.

Her mouth surgery is going to start at 8AM tomorrow. So, i might not be on AD as much tomorrow while i'm helping my mom take care of my sister. My dad will be working tomorrow. Luckily for me I don't have wisdom teeth. But I feel bad for my sister that she has to get her wisdom teeth removed. She has 4 to be removed. :thumbd: I'm planning on getting up a little bit early to help clean up the house some before my sister gets back home from whatever place she's going to get her mouth done. Since my sister took care of me while i was recovering from 2 CI surgeries, It's my turn to help take care of her :D I'll try and give updates to see how's she doing!!

quick question for those who had wisdom teeth removed; after surgery, did any of you guys acted funny or weird because of the anthesia or remember anything after surgery? Because watching all those youtube videos of the aftermath of wisdom teeth surgery (i was curious..) they all acted funny!

I didn't have anesthesia when I had mine removed, but my at-that-time-newlywed husband did and I sat with him when he was coming out of his. He didn't recognize me at first and thought I was the "nurse", I think. I wasn't upset with him, not recognizing me, because I knew he was "under the influence" of the anesthesia.

They won't let your sister leave until she's no longer "under the influence".

I had all four of mine removed as well, two of them were impacted. I opted to be put out, I believe it's referred to as "twilight" so I wasn't completely knocked out, but I wasn't conscious either. It's nothing to be concerned about. People get their wisdom teeth removed all the time. She'll probably experience a little discomfort, but she'll be good to go soon enough.

Well here's the update;

I got up around 10:30, my dad went to the place where my sister was getting her wisdom teeth out. He came back to wake me up because he had to leave for work at 11ish. So, i got out of bed, got dressed and basically waited for my mom to drive my sister back home (my sister doesn't have her driver's license yet. she has her temps)

My dad and I were just chilling out for a little bit, when he was about to leave for work, my mom and my sister came home. My dad went out to help my sister walk into the house since she was feeling completely woozy. So i opened the door for my dad and my sister and i stepped on to the side where i won't get into their way, the minute my sister stepped into the house she was crying and kept saying it hurts. I felt bad for her. We got her back up into her bedroom where her bed was ready for her, she still kept on crying and whining about her mouth hurting and being numb. My dad kept telling her that if she talks it's going to hurt more. The doctor prescribed my sister to like 3 different medicines :shock: and one of those medicine had to be picked up by walmart. So my dad had to leave for work and my mom had to stay here so i picked up some medicine for her and by the time i got back my mom tried giving her pain killers, she didn't want any. So now i'm going to go pick up sprite for her, so, be back soon!!

Remember she can't use any straws for at least a week!

Also avoid dairy (promotes dry socket)

Make sure she rinses her mouth out with salt water (glass of water with a teaspoon of salt dissolved in it) after she eats or drinks anything (other than plain water).

Just got back from a sprite run, she texted me at the last minute saying she wanted a milkshake from steak n' shake. a side-by-side chocolate strawberry milkshake. So, i went to krogers first and got a 12-can box of sierra mist and then went over to steak n' shake to get her milkshake.

When i got home i delivered the milkshake to my sister, she was smiling then she was telling me that her mouth feels weird, meaning that her mouth is completely numb. And i tell her that i can't really feel the top part of my ear because its numb from the CI. My mom then told me she's not allowed to use a straw after somebody here posted about it.

Why isn't she allowed to drink out of a straw?

Anyways.. i grabbed 5 cans and put it into the fridge. My sister says she will want me to go on a smoothie run later today for dinner. Luckily i grabbed an early lunch this morning before driving around the town today.

Remember she can't use any straws for at least a week!

Also avoid dairy (promotes dry socket)

Make sure she rinses her mouth out with salt water (glass of water with a teaspoon of salt dissolved in it) after she eats or drinks anything (other than plain water).

I don't think she will want to eat anything today. Not after she just had mouth surgery. If she has her milkshakes/smoothies then she'll be happy with just that, plus a sprite.

My mom's a nurse so she's in good hands!

Hope your sister feels better soon. Wisdom teeth extraction is not fun!

The sucking from the straw affects the mouth in a way that is not good for the healing...I don't know the medical/scientific reason, just know that when you have any kind of mouth surgery (and maybe even ear & nose surgery...trying to remember if my daughter was allowed to use a straw when she had her ear drum replaced), you shouldn't "suck" (dirty minds need not reply :D).

The reason you can't use a straw is because it creates a vaccuum in the mouth that will reopen wounds, can rip out stitches and then forces food, drink and bacteria into the wounds.

Again - it's also best to avoid dairy (something that many drs don't say, but has been proven to greatly reduce drysocket/ infections etc.

If doing "milkshakes" make them non-dairy ones (soy, rice, almond etc)

Everyone is different. It depends on the size of the root and their options.

The sucking from the straw affects the mouth in a way that is not good for the healing...I don't know the medical/scientific reason, just know that when you have any kind of mouth surgery (and maybe even ear & nose surgery...trying to remember if my daughter was allowed to use a straw when she had her ear drum replaced), you shouldn't "suck" (dirty minds need not reply :D).

The reason you can't use a straw is because it creates a vaccuum in the mouth that will reopen wounds, can rip out stitches and then forces food, drink and bacteria into the wounds.

Again - it's also best to avoid dairy (something that many drs don't say, but has been proven to greatly reduce drysocket/ infections etc.

If doing "milkshakes" make them non-dairy ones (soy, rice, almond etc)

ahh okay that makes sense. The only thing i got done for my mouth was getting a filling for a tooth that had a cavity, which was when i was in middle school i think. But its not something like a mouth surgery...

My sister has 2 cold pea bags on her mouth on both sides to help out with the pain, its being covered with a pillow case bag to prevent it from being too cold. She's been hanging out in my mom's bedroom, her tv in her bedroom is on the side so she can't really lay down on her mouth to watch it so my mom's tv is in front of the bed, which is a better solution. So, she has her eyore from the winnie the pooh characters (can't spell his name :/) as a "get well buddy" along with my get-well blanket that i got from a nurse when i got my 2nd CI surgery done. She seems to be feeling better, but she has to take the medicine but she still doesn't really want to take them, she's afraid that it will hurt her mouth as she's taking it. But i still can't believe the doctor prescribed her to three medicines. I know one of them is for pain and the other is anti-bionics. the other one, i have no clue what it's for. I feel bad for her, she had to get braces..TWICE. because her teeth wasn't positioned right and when they removed her braces the first time, her teeth still wasn't right and so the 2nd time was the charm. and she had to get a mouth-spread thing that goes on top of her jaw, and on top of that she just got her wisdom teeth done. She got her braces removed i think early spring or late winter. But she has to wear a retainer. I'll probably be getting up in the morning to help around the house a little bit more before I leave for camp. it'll be hectic tomorrow!

I had IV sedation when I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth out a few years ago.. bottom 2 were impacted and growing horizontally instead of straight up. Was just tired and out of it rest of the day, and napped a lot. I ended up with dry sockets in the bottom holes, which sucked. Hope your sister recovers from this quickly and doesn't encounter dry sockets.

I think pain also depends if your jaw can take all that time being opened so wide and the pressure. Mine could not, so recovery took a little while. I also had two black eyes and looked like a chipmunk. I did get one dry socket which took some time to heal. She sounds like she is doing pretty good. Best of luck!!!!!

Back