my sister isn't the brightest light bulb...

yes... she went to the hospital because she got a splinter in her finger... and she thought she was dying... has been a major drama queen since we were little...

perhaps there was more attention put on you because of your hearing loss
and she felt unimportant?
it happens. she might not be aware of doing this.

I am just guessing.

Fuzzy

That's extreme lol. I have a touch of the hypochondriac in me, your sister is ah.. something else lol.

yeah... she over exaggerates everything... and I could see her telling the audi she didn't hear certain beeps even if she did... i'm having her email me her audiogram... because I'm interested in seeing how reliable her audi thinks the test was... I can see some people needing HA's if their loss is about 35-40 db and a good reliability... but I'm interested in seeing how reliable her audi thinks it was... and to see where her bone tests were. because our family has sensorineural loss in our history... my cousin, me, my nephews (her kids, moderate loss) and my niece.

yeah... she over exaggerates everything... and I could see her telling the audi she didn't hear certain beeps even if she did... i'm having her email me her audiogram... because I'm interested in seeing how reliable her audi thinks the test was... I can see some people needing HA's if their loss is about 35-40 db and a good reliability... but I'm interested in seeing how reliable her audi thinks it was... and to see where her bone tests were. because our family has sensorineural loss in our history... my cousin, me, my nephews (her kids, moderate loss) and my niece.

Good idea.

perhaps there was more attention put on you because of your hearing loss
and she felt unimportant?
it happens. she might not be aware of doing this.

I am just guessing.

Fuzzy

well... i hate to break your theory (good theory, but wrong) my family didn't pay more attention to me because of my hearing, they actually put me on the back burner... unless my sister wanted to be made fun of all the time... then i could see that. Now, people are putting the attention to my niece and nephews...

well... i hate to break your theory (good theory, but wrong) my family didn't pay more attention to me because of my hearing, they actually put me on the back burner... unless my sister wanted to be made fun of all the time... then i could see that. Now, people are putting the attention to my niece and nephews...

Okay, I believe you.

Fuzzy

I am worried what it does to her self- esteem :(

The fact her "brain doesn't compute properly" may mean many things.
For all we know, she may have some underlying medical condition that should be investigated just to be sure she is alright.
Girls sometimes have mental confusion and slower response due to simply anemia, for starters.
Has she ever been tested for rarer forms of anemia, for example?

this is for infants and developing fetuses, but it relates to children and adults, too. I chose this link because it offers also a lot of other diet aspect
(that's just as interesting information bit, not to imply anything) :

Iron deficiency eventually leads to anemia, with insufficient oxygen reaching the brain. The anemia can cause fatigue and impair mental functioning.

Read more: Nutrition and mental health - children, causes, functioning, effects, therapy, person, people, used Nutrition and mental health - children, causes, functioning, effects, therapy, person, people, used

This is just an example how sometimes the body is not working properly and you are not aware of it not that your stepdaughter has it.

btw Iron deficiency may happen even with the proper diet - if the "gut" is not absorbing food the right way.
I know because I have it. So you never know.

Or she can be more of "brain left side" thinker than more common "right side",
and those people have a harder time using the 'cookie cutter' teaching approach they have in schools, for their brain process differently.

last but not least, if indeed there is nothing our of the ordinary
and she just does have harder time getting the hang of time,
I am sure there are areas at where she excels,
and this should be explored and given special attention and praise.

Fuzzy

Obviously, from what sneakernet has shared, this child has plenty of self esteem. She isn't trying to pretend to be anything she isn't just to impress others. She is demonstrating self acceptance and security.

There is no indication that this child has a neurological deficit. It is silly to even suggest such a thing. Sneakernet is quite observant. She would have picked up on pathology by now.

That whole left brain right brain lateralization is a concept of the past. Read some research conducted in the last 20 years on plasticity.

Obviously, from what sneakernet has shared, this child has plenty of self esteem. She isn't trying to pretend to be anything she isn't just to impress others. She is demonstrating self acceptance and security.

There is no indication that this child has a neurological deficit. It is silly to even suggest such a thing. Sneakernet is quite observant. She would have picked up on pathology by now.

That whole left brain right brain lateralization is a concept of the past. Read some research conducted in the last 20 years on plasticity.

She did - she noticed her stepdaughter -in her own words- "is not as smart":

Originally Posted by SneakerNet View Post
You know my step daughter is not smart as well. She did admitted that. I asked her "do you mean your brain doesn't compute properly? You know inability to add it all up and you get all confused?" Then she said.."Yeah! That"

Me silent....

I am merely suggesting the stepdaughter might be as smart as anybody else if not smarter,
but something can be happening that cause her to appear to be not so,
and am simply asking if if things were investigated.

But since I don't know neither SneakerNet nor her stepdaughter,
I made suggestion what kind of things may cause a person to have temporary mental confusion - an Iron deficiency, for example.
That's all there is to it.

There is however one thing I don't understand - your compulsion for answering for other posters.
It was a SneakerNet posts I was replying too, and SneakerNet private matter.
You act as if that person is incapable of answering for herself.

Just like you just answered for another posters at Current Events forum, TWICE.
You do it all the time.
You always answer for everybody.

It makes me think you consider members here incapable of independent thought and making the right judgement.
What the heck???

Almost as if you are afraid if you don't answer for them,
they won't know what to say or may answer wrong.

How very strange...

Fuzzy

yes... she went to the hospital because she got a splinter in her finger... and she thought she was dying... has been a major drama queen since we were little...

Oh, lucky you!:P

She did - she noticed her stepdaughter -in her own words- "is not as smart":

That in no way indicates neurological pathology. It is a variance in ability; not a disorder.

I am merely suggesting the stepdaughter might be as smart as anybody else if not smarter,
but something can be happening that cause her to appear to be not so,
and am simply asking if if things were investigated.

You are pathologizing. It really is an annoying habit of yours. People have differences. That does not mean that they need to run out and find a diagnosis. It is just a variance, for Gawd's sake.

But since I don't know neither SneakerNet nor her stepdaughter,
I made suggestion what kind of things may cause a person to have temporary mental confusion - an Iron deficiency, for example.
That's all there is to it.

Not knowing them is even more of a reason not to suggest that there was pathology involved. SneakerNet was just sharing an anecdote.
There is however one thing I don't understand - your compulsion for answering for other posters.

More than that, what I don'tunderstand is your need to try and diagnose everyone and point to pathology when none is indicated. I have said it before...you want to diagnose and draw conclusions such as these, go back to school and get the education and the credentials to do so. You make far too many mistakes and that can indeed be harmful. I wasn't answering for anyone. I was speaking for myself. You need to lay off playing medical professional, especially when there is absolutely no indication that medical advice is being asked for.

It was a SneakerNet posts I was replying too, and SneakerNet private matter.
You act as if that person is incapable of answering for herself.

Not at all. I was speaking for myself, not SneakerNet. She is more than capable of speaking for herself. She is also more than capable of determining if her step daughter has nothing more than an expected and normal variance in IQ or a neurological disorder that needs treatment. If you want to keep it private, don't post it in a public forum. Use PM.

Just like you just answered for another posters at Current Events forum, TWICE.
You do it all the time.
You always answer for everybody.

Nope, I speak for myself only. You are just confused.

It makes me think you consider members here incapable of independent thought and making the right judgement.
What the heck???

Well, that would be projection, given your audist perspective of deafness. But that has nothing to do with me. That one is all about you.

Almost as if you are afraid if you don't answer for them,
they won't know what to say or may answer wrong.
:laugh2: Wow. You are insulting to the deaf even when you are trying not to be.:laugh2:

How very strange...

Yep. There is something strange all right. But you are looking in the wrong place to identify it.:cool2:
Fuzzy

Do you think that the more verbose you are, the more credible you sound? It isn't working.

Now, back to the topic of Ash's sister and SneakerNet's step daughter being 30 watts.

I know my daughter has admitted that she's "A Few Sheets short of a Set". That cracked me up at the time, but I made sure she was still feeling good about herself. I also asked if someone was making her feel that way.

With your family genes, she probably has the loss starting. And even if she is an irritating hyponchondriac it doesn't preclude something real happening.

:lol: Famous hypochondriac epitaph! "I told you I was sick! "

Bear up! Relatives can be very irritating, but I know you love her kids. :)

I know my daughter has admitted that she's "A Few Sheets short of a Set". That cracked me up at the time, but I made sure she was still feeling good about herself. I also asked if someone was making her feel that way.

Exactly. It isn't done in a judgemental way. We all have things we don't do so well, and other things that we do very well; no matter who we are. Nothing wrong with accepting that. That is what leads to healthy self esteem. Accepting yourself as you are instead of trying to pretend you are something else just to impress people. Those are the ones that have self esteem problems.

With your family genes, she probably has the loss starting. And even if she is an irritating hyponchondriac it doesn't preclude something real happening.

I love that old joke. It still cracks me up!:laugh2:

[/COLOR]

Do you think that the more verbose you are, the more credible you sound? It isn't working.

Add "and post 30+ posts a day", and you should ask that yourself.

BTW, I prefer if posters answer their own replies for them, thank you Jillio.

Fuzzy

Add "and post 30+ posts a day", and you should ask that yourself.

BTW, I prefer if posters answer their own replies for them, thank you Jillio.

Fuzzy

So, I have a lot of friends I talk to on a daily basis. U mad?

This isn't about you, Fuzzy. Unless you would like for us to include you in the list of "dim bulbs".:giggle: Then we can make it about you.

Why would a poster answer their own replies? That is just silly.

Same with me.....I told the guy to have his ears checked for wax build up...nest time I saw him, he brought be two beers (St. Paul's Girl)

My next door neighbor told me that he was having trouble hearing and thought he was losing some hearing. I told him to have his ears checked for wax. He did and he had a build up of wax in both ears. He can hear fine again.

yes, I haven't actually met her boys yet... she lives in montana. Her audi told her to go see an ENT, because she is doing things backwards... though with my family genes... it very well could be something. we will see what the ent says. and what the reliability of her audiogram says too... even with her boys, she doesn't really know how to read them. I can totally see her saying the bolded statement too!!!

So, I have a lot of friends I talk to on a daily basis. U mad?

well I haven't been the recipient of
"congratulations! you've made 60,000 posts!" thread, hmmm.

This isn't about you, Fuzzy. .

Isn't about you, either,
so stop turning every thread into bickering mess, please.

Fuzzy

Can you show me where that thread is? I'm not sure what you're referring to.

Never mind, please. If you absolutely must know, PM me.
Otherwise, can we stop please turning every thread into a personal bickering pushover
that has nothing to do with the topic whatsoever?

Fuzzy

Back