my sister isn't the brightest light bulb...

ash345

Audist Free Zone
Premium Member
Reaction score
so I got this text from my sister yesterday... and I wanted to scream at her... I get she is trying to connect with me... but... really... she isn't the brightest light bulb...

" so I think I understand what you go through now being deaf... I went to the doc on Friday because I couldn't understand what people were saying to me, and he told me I have some hearing loss. I'm at 15 in my right ear and 35 on my left... I don't understand why he isn't giving me hearing aids... I'm deaf right?"

apparently she thinks the DB number is the % of hearing you have left... apparently... I have 110% of hearing left in my right ear according to her... thought i would share some laughs!

Apparently progressive loss is running in your family. Maybe you can help her as her loss progresses like yours, even though she is experiencing it a bit later than you.

Apparently progressive loss is running in your family. Maybe you can help her as her loss progresses like yours, even though she is experiencing it a bit later than you.

hearing loss does run in my family, but I doubt that thats whats going on with her... she has always had her ear buds in really loud... and she doesn't really have much of a loss... she just isn't very intelligent... though she is starting to learn sign... mostly because her twin boys are having hearing issues, but i'm not sure theirs is congenital or progressive, she tried to have them "fixed" by getting tubes in their ears, and an infection from the surgery put one of the boys in the hospital for 2 weeks because of a bacterial infection...

This reminds me....

A dude came up to me and Aaron at a bar kinda sad that he found he has hearing loss. Asked us what we could do to have hearing gain...

...Aaron went "You're fucked."

Dude wept so hard....

(later he found he had fluid build up and is happy he can hear now.)

This reminds me....

A dude came up to me and Aaron at a bar kinda sad that he found he has hearing loss. Asked us what we could do to have hearing gain...

Dude wept so hard....

hahahaha!!! "hearing gain" wow...

This reminds me....

Dude wept so hard....

Hearing gain?? :lol:

Until Ash said that, I thought you just left the a off again.

" so I think I understand what you go through now being deaf... I went to the doc on Friday because I couldn't understand what people were saying to me, and he told me I have some hearing loss. I'm at 15 in my right ear and 35 on my left... I don't understand why he isn't giving me hearing aids... I'm deaf right?"

:)
well, she is learning.

However, it is possible that having her earbuds in loud TRIGGERED
the familial hearing loss that Bottessini is talking about.
So, it is possible after all it only has begun, and she may need your help more than you both know.

btw - the loss is not great, but indeed if she doesn't understand what is being said to her - can't she have these little in -the ear kind of HA's?

Fuzzy

so I got this text from my sister yesterday... and I wanted to scream at her... I get she is trying to connect with me... but... really... she isn't the brightest light bulb...

apparently she thinks the DB number is the % of hearing you have left... apparently... I have 110% of hearing left in my right ear according to her... thought i would share some laughs!

:laugh2: Take a deep breath and try to explain it to her. Poor little thing.:P

:)
well, she is learning.

However, it is possible that having her earbuds in loud TRIGGERED
the familial hearing loss that Bottessini is talking about.
So, it is possible after all it only has begun, and she may need your help more than you both know.

btw - the loss is not great, but indeed if she doesn't understand what is being said to her - can't she have these little in -the ear kind of HA's?

Fuzzy

yes... she is learning... but my sister is dramatic, and not exactly the smartest creature... its a slight possibility about triggering the familiar loss, but I'm not too sure about that. If she did, then yes I will be with her, and help her along. The audi said that she wouldn't benefit from aids, and I am inclined to believe her audi, because she has normal hearing in one ear and barely any loss in another...

You're sister must be taking it really hard, I'm sure it is bothering her a lot even to lose a little hearing.

This reminds me....

Dude wept so hard....

Same with me.....I told the guy to have his ears checked for wax build up...nest time I saw him, he brought be two beers (St. Paul's Girl)

You know my step daughter is not smart as well. She did admitted that. I asked her "do you mean your brain doesn't compute properly? You know inability to add it all up and you get all confused?" Then she said.."Yeah! That"

Me silent....

The audi said that she wouldn't benefit from aids, .

I am curious as to why not.
Because what interests me most of all,
your sister went to audi because she couldn't hear well in the first place.

I doubt anybody would want o bother with all this if they weren't truly needing this?

And I always am thinking how we are never believed when we say we hear
as bad as we say...

Fuzzy

yes... she is learning... but my sister is dramatic, and not exactly the smartest creature... its a slight possibility about triggering the familiar loss, but I'm not too sure about that. If she did, then yes I will be with her, and help her along. The audi said that she wouldn't benefit from aids, and I am inclined to believe her audi, because she has normal hearing in one ear and barely any loss in another...

I bet when she gets a cold, she has pneumonia, too.:giggle: Gotta laugh at the drama queens.:giggle:

Headdesk.jpg

You know my step daughter is not smart as well. She did admitted that. I asked her "do you mean your brain doesn't compute properly? You know inability to add it all up and you get all confused?" Then she said.."Yeah! That"

Me silent....

I am worried what it does to her self- esteem :(

The fact her "brain doesn't compute properly" may mean many things.
For all we know, she may have some underlying medical condition that should be investigated just to be sure she is alright.
Girls sometimes have mental confusion and slower response due to simply anemia, for starters.
Has she ever been tested for rarer forms of anemia, for example?

this is for infants and developing fetuses, but it relates to children and adults, too. I chose this link because it offers also a lot of other diet aspect
(that's just as interesting information bit, not to imply anything) :

Iron deficiency eventually leads to anemia, with insufficient oxygen reaching the brain. The anemia can cause fatigue and impair mental functioning.

Read more: Nutrition and mental health - children, causes, functioning, effects, therapy, person, people, used Nutrition and mental health - children, causes, functioning, effects, therapy, person, people, used

This is just an example how sometimes the body is not working properly and you are not aware of it not that your stepdaughter has it.

btw Iron deficiency may happen even with the proper diet - if the "gut" is not absorbing food the right way.
I know because I have it. So you never know.

Or she can be more of "brain left side" thinker than more common "right side",
and those people have a harder time using the 'cookie cutter' teaching approach they have in schools, for their brain process differently.

last but not least, if indeed there is nothing our of the ordinary
and she just does have harder time getting the hang of time,
I am sure there are areas at where she excels,
and this should be explored and given special attention and praise.

Fuzzy

I bet when she gets a cold, she has pneumonia, too.:giggle: Gotta laugh at the drama queens.:giggle:

yes... she went to the hospital because she got a splinter in her finger... and she thought she was dying... has been a major drama queen since we were little...

yes... she went to the hospital because she got a splinter in her finger... and she thought she was dying... has been a major drama queen since we were little...

That's extreme lol. I have a touch of the hypochondriac in me, your sister is ah.. something else lol.

Back