My kiddo ROCKS!

FYI DD- her child doesn't "need" to be classified as "special needs"... He is deaf. He already is designated as having special needs.

She shouldn't have to put up much of a fight to get her child ESY considering he has significant delays.

Um CSign, you are aware that they DO have special needs sub programs at deaf schools, don't you? Without the classification of him as being special needs, he would be treated like someone whose parents chose ASL for them right off. With that classification, he can get needed services.

Um CSign, you are aware that they DO have special needs sub programs at deaf schools, don't you? Without the classification of him as being special needs, he would be treated like someone whose parents chose ASL for them right off. With that classification, he can get needed services.

As CSign pointed out, as a six year old just now gaining any form of language, he is almost certainly already classified as special needs.

Deaf programs are actually pretty good at noticing stuff like that. :aw:

As CSign pointed out, as a six year old just now gaining any form of language, he is almost certainly already classified as special needs.

Deaf programs are actually pretty good at noticing stuff like that. :aw:

Bottie it's simply a matter of classification that is all. But the thi g is. CSign doesn't understand that at deaf schools there are sub programs....and different sub programs too....like behavioral, mental handicap/autism etc.
Deaf schools and programs are pretty much experianced with stuff like that, as they do tend to see a lot of kids with language issues...not as many as in the old days, but still..I was simply passing on some advice. There are mentally and language normal kids at deaf schools, and their learning needs tend to be very different from a kid with severe/significant signed language issues.

Bottie it's simply a matter of classification that is all. But the thi g is. CSign doesn't understand that at deaf schools there are sub programs....and different sub programs too....like behavioral, mental handicap/autism etc.
Deaf schools and programs are pretty much experianced with stuff like that, as they do tend to see a lot of kids with language issues...not as many as in the old days, but still..I was simply passing on some advice. There are mentally and language normal kids at deaf schools, and their learning needs tend to be very different from a kid with severe/significant signed language issues.

No, DeafDyke- it is you who does not seem to understand. It would serve you, and everyone you give advice to well if you would actually familiarize yourself with the law and the way things actually work in real life.

If a child qualifies under one of the 13 categories of eligibility, they are classified as special needs and they have an IFSP or IEP.

It is not their category of eligibility that drives placement and services.What drives placement and services are the child's individual goals and unique needs to that child.

One does not need to go and have their child classified as "special needs" when their child has already been classified as such.

And not all deaf schools have a plethora of placement options for deaf children with secondary categories of eligibility such as Down syndrome and Autism, so it's not quite as you're implying.

I understand the way things work today. I'd suggest that you, and anyone else who is a parent to a DHH child, or anyone who wants to offer further advice about the laws and a deaf child's rights actually familiarize themselves with the law.

I've posted it before, but I'll post it again... Here is a great place to start:

Wrightslaw Special Education Law and Advocacy

Last edited:
CSign, you are only familiar with how mainstream special services works. FYI, FSDB is definitely big enough to support a fairly large student population, ranging all the way from mild intellectucal disability to kids who take AP classes at their mainstream placement, and who may take stuff like deaf history or other courses at FSDB. I am plenty familiar with how things work thank you very much. I have many friends who are dealing with special ed services both at deaf schools and at hearing schools.
The point is, I'm saying what you're saying but you're just attacking me b/c you're angry at me.

CSign, you are only familiar with how mainstream special services works. FYI, FSDB is definitely big enough to support a fairly large student population, ranging all the way from mild intellectucal disability to kids who take AP classes at their mainstream placement, and who may take stuff like deaf history or other courses at FSDB. I am plenty familiar with how things work thank you very much. I have many friends who are dealing with special ed services both at deaf schools and at hearing schools.
The point is, I'm saying what you're saying but you're just attacking me b/c you're angry at me.

DeafDyke, I'm sorry if you perceive my posts as "attacking" you. That is certainly not my intention, nor is it what I'm doing. I am also not "angry" with you. I just see you posting inaccurate statements and assumptions quote often, with no facts to back it up with. We are not saying the same thing...

When I see something (especially in regards to educational/law/rights related issues) that is categorically false, it is important to get accurate information out there.

If the OP had taken your advice about getting her son "classified as special needs" they probably would have looked at her sideways. He already is classified as such, with an IEP. The fact that he has severe language delays (along with whatever other needs he may have) will qualify him for ESY.

You also presume to "know" about other posters backgrounds, their deepest subconscious thoughts, the way they see the world and deaf children- without ever having any genuine interactions or experiences with them outside of this forum.

My experience advocating for DHH children goes far beyond the mainstream setting. That aside, the law is the law- regardless of placement.

All I ask is that you stop assuming things, and please do check out that link I provided. I think you will feel even more empowered when you familiarize yourself with relevant education codes.

Back