My kiddo ROCKS!

I think it's awesome that he's doing well in pre-k :) anddd in ASL! As for the oral part that will prob get better as he does more speech therapy.
I am starting ASL this week as long as my tutor doesn't get called into work and I absolutely can't wait!

also here is the link deafdyke was talking about in case you're interested American Society for Deaf Children - Home

Hey Botte, can you do me a favor and post the link to American society for deaf children for contessa? I'm on an iPad right now and haven't learned how to cut and paste on this thingy yet
I would have, but lovezebras is fast! :P

Lol sorry bott:P thought maybe you were watching walking dead like everyone else :P

lol OK well when you put it that way:P lol and this is true...I can't wait to one day get married :)

Hey contessa, are you a member of American society for deaf children yet? google it. I think it would be the perfect organization for you.
is Connor going to stay at FSDB for his entire school career?

No i am not a member of that..yet :)

Yes, if me and my husband have anything to say about it he will stay at FSDB. We live in Jacksonville so it isn't too far, and he comes home every night. My hubby and I haven't decided if we are going to consider him boarding at the school yet. For me, he's too little and I need my munckin man home. But I have heard that it's a great experience for him to be surrounded by deaf/HoH peers....so that's still up in the air.

I had been in FSDB for one year which that is last year. I enjoyed FSDB very well. Some teahcers are encore students to keep good works and good behavior but of course no one is perfect. As for dorm, dorm program is okay but I don't believe in their level system. I think it's not good for Independence skills. I heard middle school dorm is awful, no one likes to go there expect high school dorm. High school dorm is okay but too much strict, though. So, last summer, I moved back to SC and now attending J L Mann high school. I could go to SCSDB if I want but I heard lot of bad things going on at SCSDB so I rather to go to Mann. I am senior by the way :)

As for dorm, dorm program is okay but I don't believe in their level system. I think it's not good for Independence skills. I heard middle school dorm is awful, no one likes to go there expect high school dorm. High school dorm is okay but too much strict, though. QUOTE]

What level system?

Why is the middle school dorm so terrible?

Level system is bit complicated. Normally, when school start first day or when student first time joins, will be automatically at level 2. There are four levels. Level 1 which have almost no freedom at all. I went through that because of trouble with stupid reason I don't want to explain. Bed time EARLY. Like about 9. But understand this, you have to be in room by 8. You can't go outside without adult permission. You can't off campus. You earn 25 points to get to next level. If you get zero one time, you have to start over. Level 2, mild freedom. You can go outside but permission sometimes is required, you can go off campus but time limit. Be in room by 9. bed by 10. Level is bit better but still limited. Same thing but can go off campus bit longer. be in room by 10. bed by 11. Level 4, best level you will want to keep forever, more freedom but still limited. Off campus all way to 8 pm or before dark. in room by 10:30. bed by 11.

Middle school dorm, I have few friends that were in middle school dorm (They are freshman now) they told me many stories how their dorm sucks. Staffs seem put too much control. Other stuff I don't rememeber.

Though I am by no means "sold" on sending Conner to FSDB's boarding program. I am strongely considering sending him to the summer camp options there, this way he'll have some social interaction with the deaf communitiy over the summer.

Though I am by no means "sold" on sending Conner to FSDB's boarding program. I am strongely considering sending him to the summer camp options there, this way he'll have some social interaction with the deaf communitiy over the summer.

Has the district not offered extended school year?

No i am not a member of that..yet :)

Yes, if me and my husband have anything to say about it he will stay at FSDB. We live in Jacksonville so it isn't too far, and he comes home every night. My hubby and I haven't decided if we are going to consider him boarding at the school yet. For me, he's too little and I need my munckin man home. But I have heard that it's a great experience for him to be surrounded by deaf/HoH peers....so that's still up in the air.

Oh yeah, he's too young right now. But keep it up in the air for the future. I think it's really rare for little kids to be in the dorms nowadays. Most dorm kids are teens/middle schoolers. I think the youngest a kid should be in the dorm is eight years old.Actually wait.....I do think that's still a bit young. I think an ideal age is 10 or fourth/fifth grade (beginning of middle school) like they're old enough, that they are beginning to become independent, but not too young. maybe he can dorm it for middle school.

Has the district not offered extended school year?

They can't offer to extend his school year, yet. But I'm pretty sure they will offer. But I want to have him be able to get more access to the deaf community...so looking into summer camp.

Definitely!

They can't offer to extend his school year, yet. But I'm pretty sure they will offer. But I want to have him be able to get more access to the deaf community...so looking into summer camp.

We have always included a requirement for extended school year in our daughter's IEP. We found the summer program for the deaf at my daughter's school was run more like camp than regular school: swimming lessons, a lot of field trips, social time -- good sign language development opportunities. We supplemented that with more academic stuff (lots of reading and math games) at home. Maybe you can call a quick meeting to amend your child's IEP.

We have always included a requirement for extended school year in our daughter's IEP. We found the summer program for the deaf at my daughter's school was run more like camp than regular school: swimming lessons, a lot of field trips, social time -- good sign language development opportunities. We supplemented that with more academic stuff (lots of reading and math games) at home. Maybe you can call a quick meeting to amend your child's IEP.

I just requested a meeting with Conner's teacher and other admins at FSDB to make sure he is included in an extended school year. :D

I just requested a meeting with Conner's teacher and other admins at FSDB to make sure he is included in an extended school year. :D

I think one way you could do that is have Conner classified as "special needs" Like he's not mentally disabled or learning disabled or anything like that....but he is behind due to environmental causes. on the other hand, he could benifit just as much from a summer camp style program, since he just may need exposure to catch up

I think one way you could do that is have Conner classified as "special needs" Like he's not mentally disabled or learning disabled or anything like that....but he is behind due to environmental causes. on the other hand, he could benifit just as much from a summer camp style program, since he just may need exposure to catch up

FYI DD- her child doesn't "need" to be classified as "special needs"... He is deaf. He already is designated as having special needs.

She shouldn't have to put up much of a fight to get her child ESY considering he has significant delays.

Back