my friend applied walmart

I think I was referring to the clientele that shops there......
You talking about the customers that shop there? That's what I was saying... depends on the location.

When I worked at a local video store as a manager, I had a rule for employees at the store. If there were more than 2 customers per line, we open another line until we reach our max. For instance, the store I worked at had 4 working cash registers. If we had 4 employees (including me) working on a Friday night and it was slow where there were a total of 3 customers at the front desk, then we would have 1 or 2 employees stay at the front checking out customers while the others will be walking around the store assisting customers whenever necessary. From time to time, we would look at the front to see how the lines were. If we saw more than 2 customers per line, we would join the front and open up new cash registers. This kept the flow going and no one got bothered for waiting too long. If all 4 were opened and the lines were too long, it can't be helped because it's a busy night.

The same goes for Wal*Mart. There are some locations that don't consider customer service their #1 priority (although it should). So, when lines get longer... some employees don't care because they're outside taking a smoke break or they're standing in the clothes section chatting with other employees.

Just because one Wal*Mart does it doesn't mean all Wal*Mart does it. That's one bad misconception that many people have. "Oh, Wal*Mart won't hire that boy? Fine... we're gonna boycott Wal*Mart!"

You talking about the customers that shop there? That's what I was saying... depends on the location.

When I worked at a local video store as a manager, I had a rule for employees at the store. If there were more than 2 customers per line, we open another line until we reach our max. For instance, the store I worked at had 4 working cash registers. If we had 4 employees (including me) working on a Friday night and it was slow where there were a total of 3 customers at the front desk, then we would have 1 or 2 employees stay at the front checking out customers while the others will be walking around the store assisting customers whenever necessary. From time to time, we would look at the front to see how the lines were. If we saw more than 2 customers per line, we would join the front and open up new cash registers. This kept the flow going and no one got bothered for waiting too long. If all 4 were opened and the lines were too long, it can't be helped because it's a busy night.

The same goes for Wal*Mart. There are some locations that don't consider customer service their #1 priority (although it should). So, when lines get longer... some employees don't care because they're outside taking a smoke break or they're standing in the clothes section chatting with other employees.

Just because one Wal*Mart does it doesn't mean all Wal*Mart does it. That's one bad misconception that many people have. "Oh, Wal*Mart won't hire that boy? Fine... we're gonna boycott Wal*Mart!"

Yeah because when I was walking around with my cart full of goodies, this woman that had scraggly hair and missing front teeth came up to me and asked me about my hearing aids.

After I told her that I was "born this way" since birth. She went on about her husband getting his new hearing aids "next week" and "we are excited because (this galls me!) when we were living in California, the State wouldn't pay for his hearing aids but here in Washington, they do. That's why we moved here!"

I just looked at her and walked away.....

I talked with the walmart manager. I explained him about deaf's ada law. Warned him that if won't hire my friend I will make sure we will sue your ass for not hiring deaf or hc people. The manager said he do hire hc. I told him anyone can get injured no matter they are deaf, hc, hearing people. Plus my friend never got hit by a car in his life!

He hired my friend yetersday and will see if my friend do good job then will hire him as a full time. Right now its part time. Hope everything will goes very well with him at work.

thank god there's ada law for us deaf, hoh, and hc people!!!!

I talked with the walmart manager. I explained him about deaf's ada law. Warned him that if won't hire my friend I will make sure we will sue your ass for not hiring deaf or hc people. The manager said he do hire hc. I told him anyone can get injured no matter they are deaf, hc, hearing people. Plus my friend never got hit by a car in his life!

He hired my friend yetersday and will see if my friend do good job then will hire him as a full time. Right now its part time. Hope everything will goes very well with him at work.

Wow, I'm surprised that your friend did other way, when I got hired for full time, never been switch from part time into full time.

What's his position? If he's stocker and just better to stock so quickly to meet their company guideline for groceries but depends on area that where you worked, plus GM side is just different guideline, I work in GM area at all time right now because my store is just regular, no supercenter.

I had seen some employees are so slow with their job and never got coached, some stores are lucky, some aren't.

Wow, I'm surprised that your friend did other way, when I got hired for full time, never been switch from part time into full time.

What's his position? If he's stocker and just better to stock so quickly to meet their company guideline for groceries but depends on area that where you worked, plus GM side is just different guideline, I work in GM area at all time right now because my store is just regular, no supercenter.

I had seen some employees are so slow with their job and never got coached, some stores are lucky, some aren't.

yes he's a stocker as well....i will tell him that today... im kinda of interpreter for him... northern nevada only have 3 interpreters! i will try my best explaining him what the employee said.

Good for you and your friend, Brother Trucker! I just hope that they don't look for some minor excuse to later fire him. That way, they can say, "Well, we didn't discriminate because we hred him, he just couldn't do the job." Make sure that your friend keeps documentation of the problems he had with this manager from the very beginning, and the fact that the manager stated that he didnt want to hire him because he is deaf. Also keep documentaiton of any meetings or evaluations he has. If necessary, ask for anything that is said to him during an evaluation be put into writing.

I hope that it all works out well, and that the manager has learned his lesson. But better to be safe than sorry. Documentation will be valuable if he is dismissed,

Wal-Mart is a LOUSY place to work, They treat their workers badly, they keep wages low as they can..they are very anti-union too

Wal-Mart is a LOUSY place to work, They treat their workers badly, they keep wages low as they can..they are very anti-union too

That means store in your area is lousy, not our.

Most retail are treat like that way.

Why would you join a union anyway?

It's because of those union workers that customers have to deal with lousy customer service.

I once went to an auto repair place to have my car checked on.

The place had 4 auto spots in the garage. At the time I walked in, they had 3 spots taken and 3 other cars sitting outside. They also had 7 employees working.

I asked for a mild check-up (check the brakes, shafts, etc). They asked me to be seated and that they would have it done in 15 to 20 minutes. I ended up waiting for 2 hours.

During those 2 hours I was waiting, I saw most of their employees standing outside smoking and drinking coffee. When I asked the manager why it was taking too long, they said that the employees had a right to take cigarette breaks since it was part of the union agreement that they were part of.

When you're part of a union, you are likely able to take breaks whenever you feel like it cuz you have a right to.

One time, I had a few co-workers who were part of a union. For working 8 hours, they had a right to take a 15-minute break after the first 2 hours of work, a 30-minute break at the middle of their shift, and a 15-minute break before the last 2 hours of work. What turned out to be bad about this was that these guys would be working. Whenever it was slow, they would stand around and do nothing. When heavy customer traffic started to build up, they would walk up to the manager and say... "Break time! It's after 4 hours, so I am supposed to have a 30-minute break!" The manager had to agree to let them take their break. What do the rest of us employees get stuck with... more work and angry customers.

When I worked at a local video rental store in the past, I always made sure that the customers were happy. If it was slow, then I would offer my employees to take a break and get it over with. I would sit in the back room too. If an employee called the back room asking for me while I was eating a sandwich, I would stop eating and go help him instead of saying... "Sorry, I'm on a break. Too bad!"

Why would you join a union anyway?

It's because of those union workers that customers have to deal with lousy customer service.

I once went to an auto repair place to have my car checked on.

The place had 4 auto spots in the garage. At the time I walked in, they had 3 spots taken and 3 other cars sitting outside. They also had 7 employees working.

I asked for a mild check-up (check the brakes, shafts, etc). They asked me to be seated and that they would have it done in 15 to 20 minutes. I ended up waiting for 2 hours.

During those 2 hours I was waiting, I saw most of their employees standing outside smoking and drinking coffee. When I asked the manager why it was taking too long, they said that the employees had a right to take cigarette breaks since it was part of the union agreement that they were part of.

When you're part of a union, you are likely able to take breaks whenever you feel like it cuz you have a right to.

One time, I had a few co-workers who were part of a union. For working 8 hours, they had a right to take a 15-minute break after the first 2 hours of work, a 30-minute break at the middle of their shift, and a 15-minute break before the last 2 hours of work. What turned out to be bad about this was that these guys would be working. Whenever it was slow, they would stand around and do nothing. When heavy customer traffic started to build up, they would walk up to the manager and say... "Break time! It's after 4 hours, so I am supposed to have a 30-minute break!" The manager had to agree to let them take their break. What do the rest of us employees get stuck with... more work and angry customers.

When I worked at a local video rental store in the past, I always made sure that the customers were happy. If it was slow, then I would offer my employees to take a break and get it over with. I would sit in the back room too. If an employee called the back room asking for me while I was eating a sandwich, I would stop eating and go help him instead of saying... "Sorry, I'm on a break. Too bad!"

Benefits are better when a company is unionized.

Then don't work there, simple as it is. It doesn't mean All Wal-Mart chain world-wide does mistreat their employees that works for them. When a person complains about one store, they expect us all to boycott Wal-Mart. I don't think so. Wal-Mart owns and operates Sam's Club, so does that mean we have to boycott Sam's Club too? :roll:

I am not really that suprised that Wal-marts don't do good job to hire some deaf and other handicapped people. Wal-marts always had their problems treating workers badly also. They have so much negatives on discriminations. If you can't get hired there, u can always find some place else to get hired in a different jobs.

I disagree with you. It is the law to take breaks. I have always had breaks at my jobs because it is required by law. They tell me about those breaks before I start my job. I have never worked for a union, so the break thing has nothing to do with a union. I dislike union simply because you have to pay money to be in it.

At my last job, all of the managers lacked a real break most of the time. They were always up and forgetting their lunches. This is really bad for employees. They hated it, but they did it because they allowed that to happen.

I think that this is unfair, and a lack of training in their workplace. Why it's a lack of training? Because a lot of times the managers wanted to be on break all at the same time, and I understand their need to gossip (which I don't think is right), but that's why we have more than one manager in a store, so that we can take turn taking breaks. This is what I think is lack of training and planning to make sure everyone takes their rightful breaks. You don't get paid for your lunch time, but they worked anyway. That's what I call, taking advantage of employees.

With all of the hours that managers work, they need a break. It's good for your overall physical wellbeing to unwind. That's why the law exist. One time, I was called out of my break, and that did not make me happy. There was someone else to take over my duty, but I'll never understand what happened. Maybe the manager just had a pissy day. I never allowed them to abuse of my break times because they were my rights as an employee. If you let them abuse your break time, they will take advantage of that. I saw it all. I saw the assertive employees, and the ones that weren't assertive being taking advantage of.

I always made sure to take my breaks, which was 15 minutes, 30 minutes and 15 minutes for a full day of work. It really helped me unwind after working really hard. It helped me think better to do my job better.

Now, I know what you're saying about employees who waste their times because I have seen employees disappear while on duty only to find them chatting on their cell phone or meeting with friends or relaxing some more. That's something different from break time. Maybe the place you took your car to was just making excuses for them because two 15minutes break and a 30 minutes break has nothing to do with the union. It's the law.

I don't know how you do it, but it sounds like you are perfect for the job of long hours and management. I still disagree that managers should be interrupted during their breaks.

I think that your friend should go to the regional manager and see what happens. If they do not respond, then your friend should contact the government office that handles complaints regarding the ADA. Call the Vocational Rehabilitation office to give you a number to call. I know there are offices that handles those things, so go ahead and take advantage of those rights you have to protect yourself. Otherwise, seek another job.

off topic

Yeah I like break time at my work..... my dispatch emailed me to see where I am at. I told him.... I'm sitting in my truck and eating my lunch....dispatch says no no you need to be there at 4pm I told him no I am going to take my time eat my lunch.... next day I have city runs dispatch pushing me to do my job I told him no I am eating my lunch....and....don't tell me HOW to do my job... from that day he never push me off because we truck drivers have the right to get break time usually 45 min to a hour....

Back to the topic.... on the first day I went with him... he seem pick up easy with stocking and reciving....the manager seem fine with it.... manager said wow he sure learn fast.... I laughed and said yep thank you for hire him... he said deaf can't do anything unless hearing help them.

What an idiot it doesn't have do anything about impressed.... he just got to hire deaf and hc people... I wanna punch his face when he said that... if some of you people don't understand... what the manager means that deaf can't stand up for being deaf.....from what I see he is a dickhead!!!! I told my friend if there's anything that you don't feel is right or feel discrimiation... call me and I will kick the manager's ass!!!! And make sure he won't do it again!!!!!

Good for you to stand up for your rights. That's what I am talking about. That is exactly why people get interrupted break times. It has nothing to do with unions. That mechanic place was full of balooney. I have had 4 different jobs, and the same rules apply for all of them.

Anyway, that is so pathetic with the ignorance still going on with some people. One thing I still get is, "do you drive?" when someone finds out that I am deaf in a job. People have to get to know me by talking to me to see if I am smarter than they think. For some reason, some think our deafness has a connection to our intelligence.

That manager is just another ignorant idiot. Probably have never been around people with deafness in his life. He's not concerned with accidents happening. He's just ignorant. He's afraid of what he doesn't know. You could just respond and say, "it's no rocket science to learn how to do stocking." BTW, all people need training at jobs, and I wouldn't be surprised to know that deaf people do a faster job because I am one myself. I don't pay attention to anyone to chat. It's hard to get your job done by paying attention to another worker chatting. Tell that ignorant manager that he is lucky to have someone who learns and stock fast.

There are many good managers who eventually get to know their deaf workers without judging and saying dumb remarks beforehand.

I disagree with you. It is the law to take breaks. I have always had breaks at my jobs because it is required by law. They tell me about those breaks before I start my job. I have never worked for a union, so the break thing has nothing to do with a union. I dislike union simply because you have to pay money to be in it.

At my last job, all of the managers lacked a real break most of the time. They were always up and forgetting their lunches. This is really bad for employees. They hated it, but they did it because they allowed that to happen.

I think that this is unfair, and a lack of training in their workplace. Why it's a lack of training? Because a lot of times the managers wanted to be on break all at the same time, and I understand their need to gossip (which I don't think is right), but that's why we have more than one manager in a store, so that we can take turn taking breaks. This is what I think is lack of training and planning to make sure everyone takes their rightful breaks. You don't get paid for your lunch time, but they worked anyway. That's what I call, taking advantage of employees.

With all of the hours that managers work, they need a break. It's good for your overall physical wellbeing to unwind. That's why the law exist. One time, I was called out of my break, and that did not make me happy. There was someone else to take over my duty, but I'll never understand what happened. Maybe the manager just had a pissy day. I never allowed them to abuse of my break times because they were my rights as an employee. If you let them abuse your break time, they will take advantage of that. I saw it all. I saw the assertive employees, and the ones that weren't assertive being taking advantage of.

I always made sure to take my breaks, which was 15 minutes, 30 minutes and 15 minutes for a full day of work. It really helped me unwind after working really hard. It helped me think better to do my job better.

Now, I know what you're saying about employees who waste their times because I have seen employees disappear while on duty only to find them chatting on their cell phone or meeting with friends or relaxing some more. That's something different from break time. Maybe the place you took your car to was just making excuses for them because two 15minutes break and a 30 minutes break has nothing to do with the union. It's the law.

I don't know how you do it, but it sounds like you are perfect for the job of long hours and management. I still disagree that managers should be interrupted during their breaks.

You are absolutely correct that taking breaks is mandated by law, and the law is very specific. There have been some studies that show that taking scheduled breaks reduces work place accidents, as well because the workers have time to rest a few minutes and it improves their focus when they return to work.

You are absolutely correct that taking breaks is mandated by law, and the law is very specific. There have been some studies that show that taking scheduled breaks reduces work place accidents, as well because the workers have time to rest a few minutes and it improves their focus when they return to work.

I dont get breaks at work. :( Too much to do.

I dont get breaks at work. :( Too much to do.

I understand. But OSHA would consider the time your kids are on recess to be breaks for you. Lunch time, too. I realize that that does not translate into actual breaks, especially for an overworked teacher. But OSHA would consider it to be compliant, because the opportunity for a break is availble to you. (Yeah, right! Guess they haven't spent much time in a classroom, huh?)

I understand. But OSHA would consider the time your kids are on recess to be breaks for you. Lunch time, too. I realize that that does not translate into actual breaks, especially for an overworked teacher. But OSHA would consider it to be compliant, because the opportunity for a break is availble to you. (Yeah, right! Guess they haven't spent much time in a classroom, huh?)

I have lunch duty in the cafeteria monitoring the kids so my lunch is always gulped down in less than 5 mins!

Back