My failure as a camper

Sydlie

Reaction score
At this very moment, I should be at a camp ground in the middle of nothingness, but as you probably notice, I'm at least in a place with internet access. This weekend my school (or former school as I'm transferring in the fall) was hosting a "Silent Weekend", this thing where you're supposed to camp for 3 days and 2 nights and completely lose your voice in order to practice your signing. Now, I've never gone camping before in my life, the closest I've come to a tent before last night was the kind you make in your livingroom as a kid with blankets and couch cushions, but at the insistance of my friends, I thought I'd play along. My friend said I could stay in his tent with him and another friend (his current girlfriend) and promised me an air mattress- sounds solid, right?

Well firstly, the girlfriend is a really good friend of mine that I've known forever and she has never taken a sign class so the minute I got there she and I got so drunk we couldn't stop laughing at just about anything and everything. We completely missed the beginning of weekend meeting because we were hiding behind some bushes chain smoking (we were the only smokers there) and laughing our asses off. Shortly thereafter we got "in trouble" because we were obviously using our voices since she's ASL illiterate. Then the rain came. The entire place became one HUGE mud puddle, the catch, of course, is that I HATE being dirty. I wash my hands constantly if I think I might have come into contact with something icky and here I am, covered in mud with the closest running water being in some disgusting excuse for a bathroom a good 5 minute walk up a hill that was in all reality just a big mudslide. I tried my best to deal, but I was just NOT made for this kind of thing. I go back to the "Social Tent" to hang out with all of my friends and chit-chat which basically tuned into laughing at my prissy behavior, because, well, it really was pretty hysterical! At about midnight, my friend and I deside we're tired so we go to the tent and change for bed. I crawl onto this air matress which is up on a bed frame type thing... it damn near instantly deflates so there are bars digging into my back, my legs and my head. Not cool. I deside I can handle it... until the rain starts leaking a mist onto me. Within 10 minutes I had my shoes on and I booked it out of there. I lasted a whole 45 minutes in a tent. Go me!

I thought about going back today just for the day, but it's pouring rain and this body was made for pampering, NOT for sleeping practically outside with wierd noises all around on some sorry excuse for a bed with mud all over and absolutely no showers.

You all are probably wondering why I bothered to share this little story, and to be honest, I just think it's entertaining that I'm such a wuss. Hope you got at least a little giggle! I sure did!

:rofl: You don't sound like the outdoors back to nature type. But, camping the the rain isn't fun. I have been there before, so you do have a legitimate excuse. Well, hope you can enjoy the rest of your weekend.

*thinks* you're obviously from ohio, right? I had an interpreter who lives in Cincy, and she spoke of "Silent Weekends." Ever heard of Paula Stead? Just wondering. She went to Cincy State - but shes also a very strong christian now so i dunno.. just wondering :)

:lol: I never went camping before, i thought it sounded like fun but if there's raining, forget it :ugh:

I went camping a lot. It was because of my family.

Hell, if it was forcasted for rain all week, my dad still would take us there. Worst time was when there was tornado warning. We still camped. We never knew that there was a warning..just knew by the clouds that it would be possible. When we got back...we would see evidences of tornado by the damages on the way home.

If you want some old fashioned camp cookings...call me up. :D

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

I worked as a counselor at a deaf camp, and I remember we had a tropical depression of what used to be a hurricane, coming through New Hampshire. It rained and rained like crazy and loud thunderstorms and lightnings. It was really crazy, because we all had those heavy demin type of tent that Army or boy scouts use for camping. The kids kept on crying and I had to keep telling them they will be ok, etc... One guy smartassed at me: "But when there are lightnings, you shouldn't be under trees!" We were in the forested mountains, so it was hard time reassuring them. I slept in my tent, and couldn't sleep well because of the storm. Surprisingly, the tent was very dry and also lifted from ground. I woke up next morning, and had time of my life listening to my campers saying what brave kids they were, and trying to argue who was braver and not, etc... Kids can be funny sometimes.

Originally posted by kuifje75
I worked as a counselor at a deaf camp, and I remember we had a tropical depression of what used to be a hurricane, coming through New Hampshire. It rained and rained like crazy and loud thunderstorms and lightnings. It was really crazy, because we all had those heavy demin type of tent that Army or boy scouts use for camping. The kids kept on crying and I had to keep telling them they will be ok, etc... One guy smartassed at me: "But when there are lightnings, you shouldn't be under trees!" We were in the forested mountains, so it was hard time reassuring them. I slept in my tent, and couldn't sleep well because of the storm. Surprisingly, the tent was very dry and also lifted from ground. I woke up next morning, and had time of my life listening to my campers saying what brave kids they were, and trying to argue who was braver and not, etc... Kids can be funny sometimes.

Very interesting..

I've wondered about being a camp counselor for a deaf camp. Anyone got any info how I can find out about how to be one?

I'm about 5 hours north of Cincinatti, I'm about 45 minutes out of Cleveland. I've never heard of Paula Stead, but I'm not much of a name person, so there is a small chance I've met her and if I saw her I'd know exactly who she is.

Tornado warnings??? Thunder storms? Oh hell no. I'm done with the outdoors. Forget it!

Kevin does camp counciling over summers, he might have a website for you. I'll ask him when he's on later.

There was a thread here about camps all over the country and weblinks. Do a search for camp in thread title and you'll find it.

I found the thread..thanks.

Also I found one about nudist camps...lol...I revived it from the dead.

sydlie, ahh, bummer.. :( at least u got a experience with mother nature. next time u will like camping better on dry weather.

Originally posted by deafclimber
sydlie, ahh, bummer.. :( at least u got a experience with mother nature. next time u will like camping better on dry weather.
Next time???? No way! I've already made about hald a dozen of my close friends promise to kill me if I would ever even consider camping again. Next time I want nature, I'll go hiking or something. That only lasts a few hours.

I camp all the time, regardlessly to the weather! I did camped out there in the snow twice! Imagine that! Wow! Freezing nights! :lol: No I didn't get any frostbites anywhere. Whew. Heh. These two times was made so I can go hunting for elk and deer. :mrgreen: It was way up high in the mountain, that's why it's freezing in October!

I camped during the dry weather, and wet weather all the time. It rained and it didn't bother me. :dunno: I guess I'm more like a "cave-woman." :laugh2: I love to be outdoor (not while I'm pregnant, no way). :thumb:

In fact, for the fourth of July, we're planning to camp out up there in South Dakota. :mrgreen:

I have been on camp for many time, I have enough experience. Thank to Scout Boy.

It's most tough to live without everything: cooler box, AC, electric, tv, etc. Just have to carry water or find water to drink and cook and bath. And cook food, use dry food or something that can be cook without necessary to storage in cooler box. :D

Originally posted by ChelEler
I camp all the time, regardlessly to the weather! I did camped out there in the snow twice! Imagine that! Wow! Freezing nights! :lol: No I didn't get any frostbites anywhere. Whew. Heh. These two times was made so I can go hunting for elk and deer. :mrgreen: It was way up high in the mountain, that's why it's freezing in October!

I camped during the dry weather, and wet weather all the time. It rained and it didn't bother me. :dunno: I guess I'm more like a "cave-woman." :laugh2: I love to be outdoor (not while I'm pregnant, no way). :thumb:

In fact, for the fourth of July, we're planning to camp out up there in South Dakota. :mrgreen:

sweet ! i love winter backpacking. i do that almost annually. when snow comes out in great smoky mtns, i go to there ! the coldest weather ever i slept in tent at smoky mtns was -30 windchill. brrr ! but fun to hike on snowy country !

if u do hunting for elk, plz make me elk jerky next time ok ? :)

Originally posted by deafclimber
sweet ! i love winter backpacking. i do that almost annually. when snow comes out in great smoky mtns, i go to there ! the coldest weather ever i slept in tent at smoky mtns was -30 windchill. brrr ! but fun to hike on snowy country !

if u do hunting for elk, plz make me elk jerky next time ok ? :)

:lol: Sure no problem! :thumb:

I camped out there in the snow for one week both times. It's all fun fun fun!!! Love it!

Originally posted by Sydlie
Next time???? No way! I've already made about hald a dozen of my close friends promise to kill me if I would ever even consider camping again. Next time I want nature, I'll go hiking or something. That only lasts a few hours.

i understand.. my ex wasnt a camper then, i begged her to try camping so we did hike in cohutta wilderness area in north georgia for a day to see how she felt, but she got pissed off at me because she got bees stung on her arm and leg on same trail in different time ! no kidding ! luckly i wasnt stung cuz i am allegry to bee stings, anyway. then in few month later, she tried to go backpacking with me. fortunately she really enjoyed hiking in mtns. she did take a step at a time.

you can try hiking for a day little bit longer at a time.

just take my tip.

good luck for a day hking :)

Back