My dad doesn't believe my hearing status has been a problem...

I wish I could find an apartment sized dinning room set, the table is usually square instead of rectangular and it may or may not sit up higher than regular tables and chairs do. Everything I have seen here has been a HUGE dining room set that would be WAAAY too big. I need something that seats just 2-4 people. That's it.

I have looked at dining room tables and it seems that the counter-height tables/chairs are popular. I don't like them as they are too high. Suppose I have a friend in a wheelchair and she/he might not be able to use that table.

By law the apartment must have the fire alarm accommodation for deaf/hh and usually those units are on the first floor.

*facepalm* I never requested a handicap accessible apartment not thinking of this. Of course; when I think of 'handicap accessible' I am usually thinking of people with mobility issues that can't go up and down stairs.

But either way, I am still hoping for a ground level apartment. Even if I get an upstairs unit, I might be able to convince them to allow me to have a d/hh accommodated smoke/fire alarm inside of my apartment. Honestly, these wouldn't be bad to have in ALL units in case some hearing twit has music blaring and can't hear the smoke alarm going off.

At this point in time, any apartment will do. If it's an upstairs apartment I will have to get some high school football players to come help me move heaving stuff up and down the stairs. My brother won't be able to help with the move because he's blown out his ACL at work, so he's been sidelined for the time being and he's trying to avoid surgery if possible.

I know it's only been two weeks since I was placed on the waiting list, but I am ready to get out.

BTW - I was able to get a dining set on sale as well as a microwave that was on clearance. Got it moved to the unit. Now I am in the hunt for a coffee table as everything else has been claimed/spoken for. It is just a matter of getting it to the unit before the move.

*facepalm* I never requested a handicap accessible apartment not thinking of this. Of course; when I think of 'handicap accessible' I am usually thinking of people with mobility issues that can't go up and down stairs.

But either way, I am still hoping for a ground level apartment. Even if I get an upstairs unit, I might be able to convince them to allow me to have a d/hh accommodated smoke/fire alarm inside of my apartment. Honestly, these wouldn't be bad to have in ALL units in case some hearing twit has music blaring and can't hear the smoke alarm going off.

At this point in time, any apartment will do. If it's an upstairs apartment I will have to get some high school football players to come help me move heaving stuff up and down the stairs. My brother won't be able to help with the move because he's blown out his ACL at work, so he's been sidelined for the time being and he's trying to avoid surgery if possible.

I know it's only been two weeks since I was placed on the waiting list, but I am ready to get out.

BTW - I was able to get a dining set on sale as well as a microwave that was on clearance. Got it moved to the unit. Now I am in the hunt for a coffee table as everything else has been claimed/spoken for. It is just a matter of getting it to the unit before the move.

On a number of decorating shows I have seen them cut down the legs on another type of table to use as a coffee table. Also, the use of large ottomans that can be used as a table by setting a tray or trays on it/them. They also provide overflow seating when needed that way.

For over 20 years I have used a flat topped trunk as my coffee table. I do not remember where I got the idea; but it also has the advantage of providing additional storage.

Good Luck! It looks like you have things well thought out.

On a number of decorating shows I have seen them cut down the legs on another type of table to use as a coffee table. Also, the use of large ottomans that can be used as a table by setting a tray or trays on it/them. They also provide overflow seating when needed that way.

For over 20 years I have used a flat topped trunk as my coffee table. I do not remember where I got the idea; but it also has the advantage of providing additional storage.

excellent idea, or that old fashioned 'glory box' its from the bygone pre-1960s before marriage collecting things before moving in the couple's homes after the wedding... lol
its a good one, that's the flat top one

Probably probably most people dont even realise that what it was!....

So...tip here, ask for glory box lol

big enough to store a few natty bits, and small enough (floor area-wise)be a decent coffee table...;)

excellent idea, or that old fashioned 'glory box' its from the bygone pre-1960s before marriage collecting things before moving in the couple's homes after the wedding... lol

big enough to store a few natty bits, and small enough (floor area-wise)be a decent coffee table...;)

I have never heard the term "glory box" so am wondering if it is a term from somewhere other than the US? Here in my part of the US at least, that type of thing known as a "hope chest" was long gone by the 1960's.

The one I have is from long before the '60s. It does have an unreadable shipping label on it that also appears to have a crossed out address on it. Something makes me wonder if it was used by my mother or her sister when they went to college in the 1920s.

I have never heard the term "glory box" so am wondering if it is a term from somewhere other than the US? Here in my part of the US at least, that type of thing known as a "hope chest" was long gone by the 1960's.

The one I have is from long before the '60s. It does have an unreadable shipping label on it that also appears to have a crossed out address on it. Something makes me wonder if it was used by my mother or her sister when they went to college in the 1920s.

I have an old trunk that my mother brought into her marriage. We also have my father's old trunk from the Army. We also have a old cedar Hope chest of my grandmother's. As far as I know, my father's would be referred to as the "glory box", mom's is just a trunk she bought at a resale shop when she was a teen. My son is getting the Army chest, my daughter is getting the hope chest and we will use the trunk again for a coffee table. Since it has these metal "bumps" on top, we place "bun" feet for a cabinet in the four corners and a sheet of 1/2 inch plywood is attached to the feet, then we cover with a form fitting cloth to cover the whole trunk.

Never thought of using an oversized trunk for a coffee table. Might be to my benefit with limited space and needing to maximize on the space I do have.

I am thinking it's going to be hard to locate a 'hope chest' or 'glory box' whatever it is. Seems to me that it is simply an oversized flat-top toy chest. I would think these would be expensive unless I find one at a resale shop - my problem however is getting to these resale shops before they close.

Perhaps inquiring about these on FB might turn up some options?

Never thought of using an oversized trunk for a coffee table. Might be to my benefit with limited space and needing to maximize on the space I do have.

I am thinking it's going to be hard to locate a 'hope chest' or 'glory box' whatever it is. Seems to me that it is simply an oversized flat-top toy chest. I would think these would be expensive unless I find one at a resale shop - my problem however is getting to these resale shops before they close.

Perhaps inquiring about these on FB might turn up some options?

What I have is quite old having been passed down through my mother's side of the family for an unknown number of years. Rather than take my own picture I Googled for flat top trunks and came to a site that shows one the is similar but not exact.
http://www.legacytrunks.com/images/flat%20top_24.jpg

Last edited:
What I have is quite old having been passed down through my mother's side of the family for an unknown number of years. Rather than take my own picture I Googled for flat top trunks and came to a site that shows one the is similar but not exact.
http://www.legacytrunks.com/images/flat%20top_24.jpg

Wow, that's old looking and also probably really expensive if it is for sale.

Maybe a trip to Salvation Army or Goodwill might turn up something, there is also Marva's Resale shop I could go to if I could just get over there! But these darn places are open only during my working hours. Ugh.

Hopefully the chickens will be going out soon and I *might* have a day where I can go do some looking around.

If you don't mind getting a small plain metal one, Kmart is showing an ad for $35.99 and Target has a few for about $50.00.

They are about 30 inches long and you can probably find more by googling under "footlockers" + the name of the local stores in your city.

It's also called a Hope Chest. I had one for storing the china & crystal that my mom bought me waaaay before I finally married. I till have it. I store my off-season sheets and other things in it.

Back