Multiple VP's? Possible?

tegumi

Reaction score
For those of you that have went through the sorenson site to get a vp, I was wondering if you knew whether or not it was possible to get more than 1. For example, could you have 1 vp in your bedroom, and 1 in your kitchen? Can you have 2? Or only 1? Im very curious....

Yes you can BUT you need to call and add 2nd and 3rd IP addy. Cable only have that...but DSl no. I am sure other Aders will answer your question better than I am. :) We have 3 VP but one is down. :( So we have 3 IP addy...add only 5 dollars, I think!

tegumi said:
For those of you that have went through the sorenson site to get a vp, I was wondering if you knew whether or not it was possible to get more than 1. For example, could you have 1 vp in your bedroom, and 1 in your kitchen? Can you have 2? Or only 1? Im very curious....

tegumi said:

Of course if you can order DVC-1100 Wireless Broadband VideoPhone
DVC-1100_main.gif

It works well as long as you have strong wireless router within range.

Mama2AFTIV said:
Yes you can BUT you need to call and add 2nd and 3rd IP addy. Cable only have that...but DSl no. I am sure other Aders will answer your question better than I am. :) We have 3 VP but one is down. :( So we have 3 IP addy...add only 5 dollars, I think!

Not true. Qwest lets you have up to 5 IP addresses. Maybe other DSL providers don't, but Qwest DSL does.

Mama2AFTIV said:

Where you get a info?

VP installer told you about that?

Cable or DSL do not matter. DSL can do it.

Depend on local provider, some offers only single, while others offer more than 1. So it depends on availablity. It is not right or wrong.

RickL66 said:
Not true. Qwest lets you have up to 5 IP addresses. Maybe other DSL providers don't, but Qwest DSL does.

Right! WAN and LAN is different, you can have as many as 253 IP address on LAN side meaning you can have as many as 253 PC hooked up to one IP that is assigned by WAN, Who assigns WAN IP? That is your internet service provider! You need to ask your internet provider for second or whatever IP address, then you need a switch to start with and split in into X number of routers that you get X number of IP address on WAN side. Then each router can be connected to VP. Only one VP on each Router, no 2 VP will work together on same router. This is just confusion in technical side. Not going down there to explain the complication part of that.

I got 3 IP addy here and I also got 3 VP here too. So far I have tested, I can run 2 VP at same time, But third one IMPOSSIBLE!

Neo said:
If u want more than 2 VP then you need another IP from WAN due DMZ.

Neo said:
If u want more than 2 VP then you need another IP from WAN due DMZ.

You mean two vp at the SAME TIME then you need two public IP address and enough bandwidth 256k each vp. both dsl and cable providers will sell or lease you second ip for nominal charge

diehardbiker65 said:
Right! WAN and LAN is different, you can have as many as 253 IP address on LAN side meaning you can have as many as 253 PC hooked up to one IP that is assigned by WAN, Who assigns WAN IP? That is your internet service provider! You need to ask your internet provider for second or whatever IP address, then you need a switch to start with and split in into X number of routers that you get X number of IP address on WAN side. Then each router can be connected to VP. Only one VP on each Router, no 2 VP will work together on same router. This is just confusion in technical side. Not going down there to explain the complication part of that.

I got 3 IP addy here and I also got 3 VP here too. So far I have tested, I can run 2 VP at same time, But third one IMPOSSIBLE!

that is called NAT network address translation router will handle up to 253 computer and devices for each WAN IP. watch out your dhcp configuration in router to see if will lease out ip address to all 253 device why impossible when you have 3 IP addy and 2 vp works? something wrong with your lan/wan set up

qwerty123 said:
You mean two vp at the SAME TIME then you need two public IP address and enough bandwidth 256k each vp. both dsl and cable providers will sell or lease you second ip for nominal charge

Hey Neo, if you wish to nail Qwerty123's comment, please test two vp at same time...

That's right, i am curious to see if it is possible. It would be nice if I can talk to my friend while my wife talks to her family on another vp....

No Sorenson clearly tells you that in term of service, that you only can have 1 VP per HOUSEHOLD.

Right, DSL can defintely have more than 1 IP at additional cost, or bundle package, however 1 IP address using router that shares connection, that is not possible, it wont work this way, you must have two ip address for sure.

You can get free D-Link VP from CSD and apply for one at www.c-s-d.org
while you have the other VP-100 to use same time which at least 512/512k connection with two IP address.

DVC-1100 that use 802.1b which it may be sometime not give you good video quality in some case with certain routers. However I can quarantee you that you will get better video quality with 802.1g with any exisit VP thru LAN and G band Wireless Router. If you interest having in some wireless connection from router at some distant away. You can find one at http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=1&pid=333

Michael

bgmk82j said:
No Sorenson clearly tells you that in term of service, that you only can have 1 VP per HOUSEHOLD.

That's is NOT true! We have two Sorenson VPs. As long as we have more than 1 IP Address.

Then you are breaking Sorenson VRS TOS, they either got VP at different names.. or got it some where else, and I dont meant it WILL NOT work at the same time. Im talking about TOS so re-read.

And I did told about it must have more than 1 IPs for more than 1 VP anyways

qwerty123 said:

WAN and Public IP address are same thing.

bgmk82j said:

Right, DSL can defintely have more than 1 IP at additional cost, or bundle package, however 1 IP address using router that shares connection, that is not possible, it wont work this way, you must have two ip address for sure.

You can get free D-Link VP from CSD and apply for one at www.c-s-d.org
while you have the other VP-100 to use same time which at least 512/512k connection with two IP address.

DVC-1100 that use 802.1b which it may be sometime not give you good video quality in some case with certain routers. However I can quarantee you that you will get better video quality with 802.1g with any exisit VP thru LAN and G band Wireless Router. If you interest having in some wireless connection from router at some distant away. You can find one at http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=1&pid=333

Michael

Psst! It's call Super G. Not G. G is 54Mbps and Super G is 108Mbps

Usually yea, depending on how you use it. Remember WAN is a defination of type of network, and that Public IP address usually assigned by this type of networking.

Neo said:
WAN and Public IP address are same thing.

in order to get 3 IP address, you need to get it assigned from WAN; NOT LAN, or NAT or whatever you wanted to call it. Obviously your not networking expert. I have done that, and it worked... You need to study the concept of networking to understand.
And you said something wrong with my set up? Your wrong with your head! I have no problem here! Your welcum to come and see for yourself!

Thinking I should finish my AAS degree in computer, specializing with Networking. Only less than a year to go. grrr

qwerty123 said:
that is called NAT network address translation router will handle up to 253 computer and devices for each WAN IP. watch out your dhcp configuration in router to see if will lease out ip address to all 253 device why impossible when you have 3 IP addy and 2 vp works? something wrong with your lan/wan set up

Neo said:
Psst! It's call Super G. Not G. G is 54Mbps and Super G is 108Mbps

Yes that is correct, however they both use same frequency 2.4GHz (802.11g) except the bandwidth. It can be Extreme G also =)

Back