Moving Abroad

Sweet_KJ

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was wondering if any one of you have moved abroad (I'm interested in what WaterRats and Liza got to say :) ) and how did that experience go?

Was it difficult to obtain a job (I imagine it would at first because of country's work permit rules, etc)? What did you do to get one and how long did it take you? What did you do during those non-working periods? I was thinking of volunteering if that is possible, or studying before I am able to legally get a job in that country.

I'm thinking of moving to the British Isles or someplace in Europe... anything I should know?? Any suggestions on money, needs, packing, etc that might be helpful to me?

I would totally appreciate your input!

(I'm making this potentially drastic move so that I could be with my British 'heartthrob')

hi KJ! Let me first wish you the best with your move and new life.
I take it that you have no plans of getting married?

For me, I got married during my 3 months of visitors visa as planned.

Even though I got my alien residency AND job permit here (waited 3 months AFTER filed, as that is the standard), I'm frustrated with all the waiting... mainly, it's all a waiting game. I did get some waitingmoney as they called it, and I was in the health system regardless of my status.

For employment - legally, I am not allowed to work until I meet a certain amount of language class even though I have a job permit. Hell, I am not taking any class.... because people are busy figuring out a solution (me deaf, they hearing, know only NSL, no ASL, me no speak English, just write n read it.. know 4th grade level of norwegian, tho). :-P hehe fortunately, they seem to be very deaf friendly here. Sucks that I just dont know NSL!

BUT.... they granted me "waitingmoney" which really helps a lot. I filed for unemployment/deaf ssi (after enrolling in the norwegian deaf association with a membership, however that goes)... they were able to grant me that, at least. It is really my first time having SSI... and it had to be in another country! ha ha - having a network is important, you gotta know people who live in the area where you will live in.. they will help you.

I chatted with buddies online a lot, and WaterRats does that too i reckon! We seem to be on internet a lot, both of us.. heheee.. at least for the first few months, there's the adjustment period.. I was recovering from 4 years of college, and just graduated that summer... I really loved the rest I got here! Then I stepped up on projects, painting, writing, hanging with in laws, getting to know people.. babysitting my niece and nephew in law.. teaching them some ASL, baking some American goodies they can't resist like chocolate chip cookies and homemade pizza... hell, I have my own web comics to do... now I'm toning down my internet time, and focusing more on home life. An old friend from USA visited me. Thinking about taking a pottery class myself. I take weekly walks with this cat in my avatar. I really gained a lot since I moved here. Losing some lbs now, fortunately. No baby. Hehe

Honestly, I don't forsee a problem in getting a job here once I complete my language class since there is a need for graphic/web designers around here and my hubby and in laws have connections. I just have to renew my visa and permits every December. It's just all the legal jumbo that I have to get out of way.. with much waiting... I have been here for over a year, and that's how long I waited (with much dallying on my part and slow turtles on the gov's part). Didn't know all that I know today.

How long are you planning on living in Europe? About money.. I would recommend leaving your bank account open in USA, because you will need it to take care of things in USA if it comes down to that.. you'd be surprised how some firms in USA are very restricted when it comes to international countries! For instance, I am paying bill online - and the credit card company only allows american banks to pay the bill, sheeshh.. that seems to be common in USA. Plus it's nice to have the emergency account... it proved useful in that area when I was visiting USA, seriously! When my Norwegian visa credit card reached its max limit, I was able to write a check to pay for the difference... *PHEW* also, the ATM helps... cos I hate those ATM fees and all the problems of having your card accepted by some ATMs (foreign credit cards aren't accepted in all ATMs, just use the ones in the large malls in USA they usually work). How is the money exchange rate for your place in Europe and the Dollar? Will you use Euros?

Also... I wonder about telling your city hall that you're living abroad so they know to not order you to jury duty should that ever come. I'm not sure of how this works, still havent informed my city hall. WaterRats can answer this one, I hope! Maybe it's not necessary? Think you have to do it in person,... still up in the air about this one?? My dad suggested the city hall thing and said you had to do it in person, but I'd prefer to get more info about it. So far, no jury duty for me! Whooo hoo!

Be aware of how you can be involved in the voting process - american citizens living abroad CAN vote overseas, I believe. That I'm still figuring out how, and contacting people. Oh, and you dont need to file your taxes (if you didnt work the year before that is, or you didnt reach a certain amount)... as long as you don't have work with an income in USA, it's not necessary. You will pay taxes in Europe if you work there. I asked my dad about it.. he's an accountant in Dept of Interior (DOI), but better ask somebody else for 2nd opinion to be on the safe side. I pay taxes here in Norway, with 30 percent of my income... THATS the SSI! LOL

Additionally, I found that my American driving license was only good for the first 3 months when I moved here.... now it's invalid, and I have to get a Norwegian driving license. At least they drive on the right side of the road! LOL I wasn't concerned with driving because my hubby only had a car with stick, now we just got a new car with auto.... so...... I'm considered a student, and I can't drive without an adult with 5 years of experience with norwegian driving license.. thats hubby.. *SIGH* have to write one BIG "L" letter in red and put it on the back of the car so people know..... *humiliation* lmao, but it's good that I can learn all the rules of the road. It's a bit different here..

As for packing..... it depends on how long you plan on living there. I'd get rid of all the junk you dont need, something replaceable once you move to Europe.. I'd suggest getting some stuff and food that they "dont" have in Europe, though! You'll miss it. Heee - for me I got my books and kitchen items. Rare to find books in English here. I am reading a Nora Roberts in norwegian now, though, with the help of my trusty language dictionary!

It is pretty costly to pack a lot of boxes and bags beyond 2 bags, depending which airport you are coming from... damn BWI charged me over 300 dollars for the extra bags I had (charged 4 bags/boxes out of 6). So, be prepared to cough up some money for that just in case! Consider the costs of having the rest of your stuff shipped, as well.

So, why wont the man move to USA? hehehe!

Let me know how it goes with city hall, if you can.. I'm curious, too! Hope the info I provided helps... if I didnt answer some of your questions, let me know! Oh yeah, I met norwegian deafies here.. went to theatre and their parties. Unfortunately they live 2 hours away! Wahh... lol

Off to reading Nora Roberts... take care!

Hi SweetKJ -- just came across this today...at first, I had to go through 4 months of getting my request of obtaining a Prospective Spouse Visa before moving to Australia. I had to get that before I was allowed to move overseas.
As for job search...it's not easy...it took me 10 months before I finally landed a job. Everyday, I'd scour the newspapers and online ads for jobs and send out my resume and applications. After countless of rejection letters -- I finally landed my first job as a Carer in May 1999. Currently, I'm unemployed as I got the sack from that job just this past Monday. :( (4.5 years of working my arse off there)
So, I'm back in job hunting and have updated my resume. Wish me luck.

I wish you a lot of luck in making the big move overseas and obtaining a job and so forth! :wave:

Another thing..the Prospective Spouse visa was because I had fallen in love with an Australian bloke and am still married to him today.
In what way are you planning on doing this and moving overseas to the Britian Isles? Business or visitor or ? You need to do a bit of research on immigration rules and so forth and see where you stand at this moment, plus see what sort of requirements and paperwork you'll need to have process and all.

My thanks to both of you :) And Liza you gave me quite a lot of information that I found pretty interesting... and on the US taxes front, well we will always owe US taxes even if you pay taxes in foreign country.. it's sort of like a margin.. say if you normally owe 15% to US, and you pay 10% in Norway, you pay the other 5% to US. Something like that.

It's exciting but also scary... I think I will enjoy it very much if and when I do it.. I think my family will be very nervous and probably trying to do anything to prevent me from going... but hey, sometimes we gotta follow our hearts, right? Also I'll be a bit nervous especially in trying to figure out the legal stuff (visas, SSI, notices, etc).

Oh, he does want to come to the USA, but it would have to be for something serious to make that jump.. i.e. marriage. We have talked marriage, but I would like to take time first. And besides I personally think it is better for me (and him) that I make the move since I do not have a stable job, nor a place of my own. I feel happiest when I get to experience new places, and sharing it with someone I have geniune interest in. I was planning on moving to Washington DC, but now I feel like this foreign opportunity is something I should take now rather than keep postponing.

Liza, I'm also a recent college graduate... so I guess the transition between school and a stable job would probably be easier on me.. I think... a lot of free time (I do work right now, temporarily).

Also I was wondering, how long did it take you to plan stuff out before you made the actual move?

Once again, thanks!

Hey, here's some quick links for you which would be relevant for the move to the UK:

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/

I did a quick query, with your purpose of visit as a volunteer, as a US citizen living in the US at present, it answered:

You asked if a national of United States needs a visa to come to the UK as a volunteer.

No, you do not need a visa.

On arrival in the UK you must satisfy an immigration officer that you qualify for entry to the United Kingdom as a volunteer. under the Immigration Rules.

Please see Guidance - Permit Free Employment for further information. Your sponsor, if you have one, may wish to see Guidance - Sponsors.

N.B. Even though you do not need a visa, if you have been previously refused entry clearance for, or entry to the UK, you may wish to consider applying for one, to find out if you qualify for entry before you travel. Please contact Chicago, Los Angeles, or New York for further information.

However, I changed the query to spouse/fiancée, and here's what it said...

You asked if a national of United States needs a visa to come to the UK as a spouse, unmarried partner of fiancé(e).

Yes, you need a visa or entry clearance.

Please see Guidance - Spouses for further information.

To apply for a visa you will need to complete form VAF2 - Settlement.

If you are a national of, or are normally and legally resident in United States, please make your application to Chicago, Los Angeles, or New York

GUIDANCE - SPOUSES

Guidance - Spouses (INF 4) (04/09/03)

How do I qualify to join my fiancé or fiancée in the UK?
You must show that:

you plan to marry within a reasonable time (usually six months)
you plan to live together permanently after you are married
you have met each other
there is somewhere for you and any dependants to live until you get married without help from public funds
you and any dependants can be supported without working or having recourse to public funds
You will be allowed to stay in the UK for 6 months with no permission to work. When you are married you may apply for a two-year extension as a spouse and, if the application is granted, you will be allowed to work. Near the end of this time you may apply to stay in the UK permanently.

Do explore more on this website, it is very informative. Wish you luck!

Thank you... I have already been to that site :) I was sort of trying to make a better picture of how much planning should be done before going. It doesn't really say how long it could take to get a visa once applied.

Sweet_KJ said:
My thanks to both of you :) And Liza you gave me quite a lot of information that I found pretty interesting... and on the US taxes front, well we will always owe US taxes even if you pay taxes in foreign country.. it's sort of like a margin.. say if you normally owe 15% to US, and you pay 10% in Norway, you pay the other 5% to US. Something like that.
d-ohhh! Where do you, eh, deal with that stuff? Does this apply to American citizens that aren't married to the said prospective partner, or does it just apply to every American citizen nevertheless?

It's exciting but also scary... I think I will enjoy it very much if and when I do it.. I think my family will be very nervous and probably trying to do anything to prevent me from going... but hey, sometimes we gotta follow our hearts, right? Also I'll be a bit nervous especially in trying to figure out the legal stuff (visas, SSI, notices, etc).
I'm sure it'll go smoothly for you! Just pick up new routines even if you have to wait... worth the effort of following your heart, though!

Oh, he does want to come to the USA, but it would have to be for something serious to make that jump.. i.e. marriage. We have talked marriage, but I would like to take time first. And besides I personally think it is better for me (and him) that I make the move since I do not have a stable job, nor a place of my own. I feel happiest when I get to experience new places, and sharing it with someone I have geniune interest in. I was planning on moving to Washington DC, but now I feel like this foreign opportunity is something I should take now rather than keep postponing.
Yay! I hope it all works out for you for the sake of opportunities and new experiences to come. I feel it is a very enrichening experience to be living in another country....... those invisible "barriers" just disappear for me....... it's funny how many Americans don't think about visiting other countries..... because it's "inconceiviable" and would have to cost money.... nothing is impossible for me these days.

Liza, I'm also a recent college graduate... so I guess the transition between school and a stable job would probably be easier on me.. I think... a lot of free time (I do work right now, temporarily).

Also I was wondering, how long did it take you to plan stuff out before you made the actual move?

Once again, thanks!

Wow! We're practically in the same boat. I totally understand why you are taking advantage of this opportunity.... no loose ends there and here, especially when you have no stability holding you back in USA. I moved to Norway with the same reason, and hubby already had a deep rooted commitiment to his job, and Norwegians are notorious for living in close promxity to their immediate family members........

Oh! It just took me about 3 months, maybe 2 weeks at least (active packing and flight details)... to plan stuff for the move. We talked about things, like places to live at, finances/budget, lifestyles, etc... We did need to get some paperwork out of the way, like a new apartment with new lease with my name on it and there was a lot of research to be done to prepare for my formal application... I just packed what I needed (clothes, and pc) and had my family shipping the rest. I also had borrowed time of 3 months with my visitor's visa to get everything straightened out for my stay.... hey, try planning a wedding and the party for 3 months.... LOL, I mean, I didn't dream of a lifetime wedding but I just knew this guy was the one no matter where he lived at... to hell with any culture difference. Love knows no division, separation, human-forged rules, you name it.

After processing the necessary applications for my residency and job permits, it took the gov 3 months to make the decision and let me know of it..... but they let me stay after my visitor visa expired until they made a decision.

When are you leaving?

Crap... I wrote a reply and it won't post.. so here I go again...

Yes, it applies to every US Citizen, even if living abroad. Unless you give up your full US citizenship, you will always owe US taxes no matter where you are. Seems the US is the only country that does that.

Check out: http://www.irs.gov/formspubs/page/0,,id=12236,00.html
to read some of the FAQs on overseas taxpayers. There is a foreign exclusion, but it's pretty much what I described to you about the 15% in US, and if you give 10% to Norway, then you owe the rest of the 15% (5%) to US.

I haven't decided when I will move. I would probably wait until after the Holidays so that I can get family stuff down (I live in close promixity to my family members.. so I'll probably be much missed!). I might make a visit in early November, when I no longer have the temporary job I'm working. I think it'll be good for both of us to do that...

Honestly I haven't personally met this wonderful guy. We've been talking to each other for at least 2 years via e-mail, ICQ, snail mail, and oh he did sent me flowers on my day of surgery a while ago! I think I've fallen in love with this guy... but of course, we both have to be sure of that with a visit or two. He always express he would love me there with him, and so on..

Eh... marriage... actually I'm suffering from cold feet on that subject because well... I've been previously engaged to another guy, and that didn't work out very well (obviously), so I sort of have fears of things going wrong.. I told my 'guy' about it, and he understands. But who knows, we just might fall madly in love and find each other absolutely irresistable!! We'll see. And well my parents would probably have a heart attack, and I think if it does come down to marriage, I would prefer that my family also be there (they're kind of religious, and they would probably be extremely disappointed if they didn't witness the event). So we'll see!

Oh also, I haven't really talked to my parents about this possible plan (they still believe I'm still set on going to Washington DC, which was true.. but now ehh)

Hey SweetKJ - where in UK ure planning to stay and live at?

I did work in the UK for 6 months in 2002. I used 2 years "working-holiday" visa. You can work for up to 12 months in the UK and 12 months of travelling / holiday. There is a possibility of gettin a work permit, if you switch that visa to a work permit BUT I think you might need a sponsor to get that (unsure?). I dont know if that kind of visa is available to USA.

You can set up a bank account while ure working in the UK, BUT I wld suggest that you apply it b4 you arrive there, so that the bank account wld be readily available open for u. In the UK, they mostly use a "bank card" to the ATM.

Seeking a job in the UK - I suggest you try some job agencies that will seek some positions that youre interested in in some particular fields. I did apply lots of agencies that helps me to find a job b4 I arrive there.

There is something else, I did have to attend for a interview to obtain a National - somtrhing (err, I cant remmy what was it. I'll have to get that one back to you). I think its part of something to do with tax or gettin paid (?) - somethign to put on your "paid" form. Maybe you shld ask you "guy" abt this one.

Well.. Hope that helps you in some ways.

~sharlie~

I know this is an old post, but thought I'd add something else too....

My British boyfriend moved to Australia permanently in June 2002, after 15 months of waiting for his visa to be approved.

Basically, I recommend to anyone contemplating moving overseas to be with their sweetheart, to collect and KEEP anything that proves your relationship with each other!! As you may need to provide the evidence in the application process. Things like photos, letters to each other, Valentine's Day cards, even those airline boarding pass stubs when you went on that romantic island holiday...
Letters of reference from family and friends are good too.

My boyfriend and I are now engaged and due to marry in early April this year (2004). We plan to visit the UK every 4 years to catch up with his family and friends. Living in another country really does broaden your mind!

I wish you the best luck and prayers
for the major changes especially
moving overseas... I have no experience
in this area so I cannot say much, but
as long as you have the heart and peace
then go for it ! When I make
any major decisions, I tend to
follow my guts and if I feel any
"Peace" then I just go for it...
Or otherwise I'd postpone or
make some adjustments.

Am revisiting this thread -- how are things going for you, now, KJ?

My husband and I met online then met in person when he flew over to California for one month with me in Feb. 1998. I moved not long after that -- August 1998.

I agree with AussieGirl about keeping every possible scrap of proof and evidence of a relationship between you and your British guy -- such as snail mail letters, cards, emails, phone calls, et cetera...you name it. Photos, too! I had a couple of friends write a stat dec (form declaring they know both me and my husband and that our relationship was a bona fide case.)

It took me 17 weeks to get my application submitted, processed and approved. I was granted the Prospective Spouse/Fiance` visa and had to get married within the 9 months validity of the visa I had. Once I was married, went to apply for the 2 year temporary residency visa. I was automatically given a job permit to work legally in Australia.
After the 2 year period - I was granted permanent residency (2001). I'm eligble to take in Australian citizenship any time I wanted to. Just haven't gotten around to it yet.:roll:

I came to Australia in 1985 on working holiday visa for one year and I met my hubby here, and we got engaged prior to the expiry of my one year visa and I went back to London, England and applied for permanent residence visa, and it was slow progress, about 9 months in total, I told them that I need my British passport back as I am planning to travel to USA, Canada and Europe on that year as my fiance was coming over to accompany with me.

During my inviterview, with Australia House, the Strand, they asked me if I bring any photos of my fiance!!! I was speechless because they didn't mention in my application form what to bring!!! Lucky I got one of him carrying a Foster can beer photo in my purse (lol) ~ phew!!! Anyway they met my fiance and told him they thought I was fake, perhaps its because he is hearing or ?. They said they wish he was with me during the first interview!! Anyway they gave back my passport with a 3 months maritial visa, as we must get married within 3 months of my arrival, and after that, we show our marriage certificate to Melbourne's Immigration Department and they gave me a permanent residence visa for life, I am surprised to know about waterrat's, the rules have changed alot since 1980's? I later become Australian Citizen and carry two passports now. I still homesick for England!!

That's true, Red Rum, the rules are getting stricter and stricter now. I heard of other people who had an easy time applying to immigrate in the early 90's, they only had to wait a few weeks before their visas were granted, but now, it could take years!! I know of another case where the couple have been waiting for over 2 years... it really does test the strength of your relationship!!
I suppose the rules are fair enough, with the terrorist situation and refugees who would do anything to immigrate to a Western country... but it would be nice if the immigration dept. were a lot nicer to genuine applicants like you and me!!
Red Rum and Waterrats, we have a lot in common! :wiggle:

well, i am planning on to move to HAWAII this summer... be with my babe java....

so i know that it will been hard on my mom for accpet me... i uddy that she only have me one child.. but she need learn to accpet!! smile..

Last edited:
kuifje75 said:
Hey, here's some quick links for you which would be relevant for the move to the UK:

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/

I did a quick query, with your purpose of visit as a volunteer, as a US citizen living in the US at present, it answered:

You asked if a national of United States needs a visa to come to the UK as a volunteer.

No, you do not need a visa.

On arrival in the UK you must satisfy an immigration officer that you qualify for entry to the United Kingdom as a volunteer. under the Immigration Rules.

Please see Guidance - Permit Free Employment for further information. Your sponsor, if you have one, may wish to see Guidance - Sponsors.

N.B. Even though you do not need a visa, if you have been previously refused entry clearance for, or entry to the UK, you may wish to consider applying for one, to find out if you qualify for entry before you travel. Please contact Chicago, Los Angeles, or New York for further information.

However, I changed the query to spouse/fiancée, and here's what it said...

You asked if a national of United States needs a visa to come to the UK as a spouse, unmarried partner of fiancé(e).

Yes, you need a visa or entry clearance.

Please see Guidance - Spouses for further information.

To apply for a visa you will need to complete form VAF2 - Settlement.

If you are a national of, or are normally and legally resident in United States, please make your application to Chicago, Los Angeles, or New York

GUIDANCE - SPOUSES

Guidance - Spouses (INF 4) (04/09/03)

How do I qualify to join my fiancé or fiancée in the UK?
You must show that:

you plan to marry within a reasonable time (usually six months)
you plan to live together permanently after you are married
you have met each other
there is somewhere for you and any dependants to live until you get married without help from public funds
you and any dependants can be supported without working or having recourse to public funds
You will be allowed to stay in the UK for 6 months with no permission to work. When you are married you may apply for a two-year extension as a spouse and, if the application is granted, you will be allowed to work. Near the end of this time you may apply to stay in the UK permanently.

Do explore more on this website, it is very informative. Wish you luck!
*Putting Glasses on and Reading kuifje75's post.. Ahhh I got it now! :thumb:

TweetyBird said:
well, i am planning on to move to HAWAII this summer... be with my babe java....

awww...That's AWESOME !...I wish you both the best....What a lucky gal u are Tweetybird..U get to move to HAWAII (Which is ONE of my dream to move there)....Would LOVE to see Hawaii one day....

Btw, what is it like down there since you're still in Hawaii...

^Angel^ said:
awww...That's AWESOME !...I wish you both the best....What a lucky gal u are Tweetybird..U get to move to HAWAII (Which is ONE of my dream to move there)....Would LOVE to see Hawaii one day....

Btw, what is it like down there since you're still in Hawaii...
yea angel, i cant wait move here so be with my babe.. hehehe!! HI are soo bootiful places.. smile.. sure thing i will show u some the pic!!!! smile..

TweetyBird said:
yea angel, i cant wait move here so be with my babe.. hehehe!! HI are soo bootiful places.. smile.. sure thing i will show u some the pic!!!! smile..

That would be GREAT!...I surely can't wait to see pictures of Hawaii...Thank you TweetyBird....

Back