More movies without CC or CC symbol on DVDs.

Amen, I am Gamer and I Own a 55 inches Tv with 720p. WORKS amazing for me!

Yes I have noticed that as well but I've also noticed that they have "English Subtitles" (maybe the new phase for CC?). And I can't watch TV for the life of me without CC. Have you noticed with TV the CC are usually lagging so far behind you have no clue what the heck is going on? Or that they are completely screwed up and garbled? That frustrates me so much. The other night I was watching a really great murder mystery on the BBC and the captions couldn't keep up so I had no idea what was being said. I can read lips but that only goes so far with TV/Movies. GRRR...wish they would fix that. Sorry my pet peeve.

One of my pet peevess too, Justagirl... There are some shows i really like but the lag is just too extreme. OR the captioning style is like scrolling down.... not flashes after flash.. I HATE THAT so much, hurts my eyes trying to read it as it goes up the screen, obstructing the view to the whole movie. Julia Is not amused with some of the Captioning techinques this world have invented..

UGH, I so agree with you MushyCookies...it kills my eyes as well. And then OMG, when it totally just get stuck! And I'm like "hey, what the crap!?" Then I am having to ask my husband, what's going so that I can keep up. So annoying. And it's really hard because so many shows/movies are like that on TV. I just don't get it, it's not like turning up the tv is going to help me by any means...sometimes I just give up and stop watching altogether.

1080 is already good enough as it is. It's because of how the human eye can perceive things on the screen. If they're going to increase the quality, then that will only be good on television screens that are wall-sized and we're sitting directly in front of it.

I had a roommate who was looking to buy a new big flat screen television. He was worried because of how expensive they were. I read an article about the difference between 1080 and 720. That's when I checked it out myself and confirmed it.

So, the next time we went to Best Buy... I told him to try something. We found two televisions... same size... same brand... everything the same... except one was 1080 and the other was 720. They were right next to each other.

I told him to stand in front of the television and tell me which looked better. He said the 1080 looked better. I then told him to stand at a distance to where he would actually be watching television (where he's putting the television) and he backed up. He said both looked the same. That's when he realized... for what he's using the television for, 720 is better. So, he bought that one and saved him half the cost.
Time out! If you watch a BD movie that has 1080p resolution on 720p TV, it's not worth it because it will degrade the original video quality of BD. In other words, if you have a BD player that outputs 1080p which is a native resolution of BD movies, then buy 1080p TV which is better than 720p TV. It's a waste of money if you buy 720p TV when you have a BD player to watch BD movies.

That's good. I would be satisfied with a 720 as well. I play the game for the game, not the quality. I'm not going to say to my friend, "Whoa! Did you see how awesome that outfit looked on that guy I shot?" No, instead... I would say, "Whoa! Did you see how many guys I killed in 10 seconds?" ;)

Yes I have noticed that as well but I've also noticed that they have "English Subtitles" (maybe the new phase for CC?). And I can't watch TV for the life of me without CC. Have you noticed with TV the CC are usually lagging so far behind you have no clue what the heck is going on? Or that they are completely screwed up and garbled? That frustrates me so much. The other night I was watching a really great murder mystery on the BBC and the captions couldn't keep up so I had no idea what was being said. I can read lips but that only goes so far with TV/Movies. GRRR...wish they would fix that. Sorry my pet peeve.
Does it happen all the time, during specific shows, specific channels, or specific times?

My in-laws have that problem on their television, but I think it only happens on one channel... which would mean it was that specific station that's lagging behind in the transmission. For instance, I'll be watching C.S.I.: Miami. The captions would be fine, then it stops for a few seconds... then it continues, but at super speed as it catches up with the current talking.

Time out! If you watch a BD movie that has 1080p resolution on 720p TV, it's not worth it because it will degrade the original video quality of BD. In other words, if you have a BD player that outputs 1080p which is a native resolution of BD movies, then buy 1080p TV which is better than 720p TV. It's a waste of money if you buy 720p TV when you have a BD player to watch BD movies.
Watching BD on a 720 is better than watching DVD on 720. 1080 is just better quality than 720, but if you're standing 7 ft away from a 720 and a 1080, both will look the same to you anyways. So, why bother spending a few extra hundred dollars on a 1080 when it looks the same as 720 from 7 ft away?

If it's console game, 720p usually the best. 1080p usually best for PC games or 1080p with 120hz would be great. I have 1080p on 46" HDTV with xBox 360 and PS3, it looks just alright. But it looks amazing on PC with 1080p 24" monitor. *shrug*

Yeah, I know how you feel. I hate it, too. When a show does that, I turn it off and wait till BR release.

Does it happen all the time, during specific shows, specific channels, or specific times?

My in-laws have that problem on their television, but I think it only happens on one channel... which would mean it was that specific station that's lagging behind in the transmission. For instance, I'll be watching C.S.I.: Miami. The captions would be fine, then it stops for a few seconds... then it continues, but at super speed as it catches up with the current talking.

It's certain channels I've noticed. I lot of my channels are fine and will keep up and are correct and others not. And your right, I never really thought about it but it does happen on certain channels at certain times. Like in the evening, during primetime. :hmm:

Watching BD on a 720 is better than watching DVD on 720. 1080 is just better quality than 720, but if you're standing 7 ft away from a 720 and a 1080, both will look the same to you anyways. So, why bother spending a few extra hundred dollars on a 1080 when it looks the same as 720 from 7 ft away?
I disagree. 1080p shows more details than 720p due to its highest resolution. I know because I used to have a 50" 720p (actually 768p) HDTV for 10 years and currently I have a 1080p HDTV so I saw the difference with my own eyes. I am a movie junkie, not a gamer.

What's more, 1080p TVs cost lower now. So what's the big deal about 720p TVs?

I forgot to add that I think they no longer make 720p HDTV over 32" or 40".

Last edited:
It's certain channels I've noticed. I lot of my channels are fine and will keep up and are correct and others not. And your right, I never really thought about it but it does happen on certain channels at certain times. Like in the evening, during primetime. :hmm:
Sometimes, it's something that's out of the hands of the cable companies.

Some cable companies will include localized commercials, while some don't because the commercials are already included.

You can usually tell when you see a commercial for a restaurant or store that's not common in your area. I can't remember which channel, but I think it's TBS, WGN, and/or TNT that does it. I would see a commercial for a restaurant that's only found in the channel's hometown.

Back