More movies without CC or CC symbol on DVDs.

UNYTruthHunters

Reaction score
I noticed more and more movies do not have CC on or the captioning symbol on DVD cases. I wonder why and I fear that they do not have Captioning so I do not buy it without one of those two--the CC or the symbol. Have you all noticed that?

Second of all, I am not a Blue Ray user and I am disappointed more movies are released as BR rather than DVDs. I will not buy any new releases or buy BR to replace all my DVDs collection just because they now want us to use BR. It is a dirty business market trick!

I noticed more and more movies do not have CC on or the captioning symbol on DVD cases. I wonder why and I fear that they do not have Captioning so I do not buy it without one of those two--the CC or the symbol. Have you all noticed that?

Second of all, I am not a Blue Ray user and I am disappointed more movies are released as BR rather than DVDs. I will not buy any new releases or buy BR to replace all my DVDs collection just because they now want us to use BR. It is a dirty business market trick!
BD movies don't have CC, either but most of them have SDH. As you said that you noticed that more DVD movies don't have CC, what about subtitles? If they have English subtitles and/or SDH, then that's probably why they don't include CC anymore.

SDH is the new "CC" on newer dvds. So now I look for the "SDH" in the subtitle descriptions on the dvd case, if there is no CC symbol. The difference being you have to access the SDH through the setup menu of the DVD, and select it. I think the industry is moving from CC to SDH now.

Yeah, I also like SDH better because of no black background.

Actually, I prefer the black background... :D Especially if the lettering is light colored and imposed on part of the video portion, and not below as in the widescreen mode. I really hate when they use white or yellow because sometimes the captions are nearly invisible against the background of the movie/video itself. JMO, though. :P

That's because more DVDs are using SDH and regular subtitles instead of CC.

Actually, I prefer the black background... :D Especially if the lettering is light colored and imposed on part of the video portion, and not below as in the widescreen mode. I really hate when they use white or yellow because sometimes the captions are nearly invisible against the background of the movie/video itself. JMO, though. :P
Yeah, I remember that it was hard to read subtitles/SDH (especially OC movies at theaters) but I think it's getting better now as the texts become bold and yellowish. I haven't rented or bought DVDs for a long time due to torrented movies through internet. Anyway I still have old DVD movies and I had no problem reading their subtitles. I like torrented movies better because I can change font style, color, etc. I wish BD/DVD players offered that feature to make customers happy.

Gosh what a pia... At least we got the internet sources for our movies and shows... I use this site Subtitles | Latest subtitles which does great and subs are posted usually an hour or so after they hit filesharing sites online. Digital all the way!!! ;-)

I have Blu player and a few BD. I get BD movies ONLY if they are really worth watching. Most of the animated show, shows and movies made for TV, and some regular movies that I like but not a lot will stay as DVD. I am not going to rush and replace 1000's DVD I have just because blu looks better.

Blu ray is over rated. I have more DVDs than there are in some of the stores in Chinatown. Why would I throw hundreds of dollars away to replace all of them to "go digital"? Hell, even digital hearing aids haven't impressed me that much. As long as I've got subtitles of my movies, I'm fine without Blu ray.

Lately, I started to notice Blu-Ray movies' SDH are bad. As for an example, I know Lethal Weapon like back of my hand and I noticed so many missing words and you could see actor speaking more words than SDH showing. I also noticed that on Road Trip. It’s bit annoying me now.

Blu ray is over rated. I have more DVDs than there are in some of the stores in Chinatown. Why would I throw hundreds of dollars away to replace all of them to "go digital"? Hell, even digital hearing aids haven't impressed me that much. As long as I've got subtitles of my movies, I'm fine without Blu ray.

I disagree with you, BD is superior to DVD when come to HD and BD natively support 1080p, that's perfect for HDTV.

Do you have an example of this? I'm not sure if the law specifies a label must be included.

All BR players are backward compatible so you don't have to lose your DVD collection. You can use an old DVD with a new Blue Ray player.

Yes, they're releasing more and more movies/videos on blu-ray, but they're also releasing the same on DVDs.

You might have noticed an increase in blu-ray sales, but that's probably because those are "re-releases" of older titles that were previously on DVD in the past.

For instance, they re-released Back to the Future and Ghostbusters on blu-ray. They already have it on DVD in the past.

As for less DVDs having CC, that's probably because more companies are going with SDH instead of CC. SDH is like CC, but without the black boxes around the text.

Yes, they're releasing more and more movies/videos on blu-ray, but they're also releasing the same on DVDs.

You might have noticed an increase in blu-ray sales, but that's probably because those are "re-releases" of older titles that were previously on DVD in the past.

For instance, they re-released Back to the Future and Ghostbusters on blu-ray. They already have it on DVD in the past.

As for less DVDs having CC, that's probably because more companies are going with SDH instead of CC. SDH is like CC, but without the black boxes around the text.
No, SDH is not like CC. CC requires a CC decoder. SDH doesn't require a CC decoder. Therefore SDH and CC are not the same.

No, SDH is not like CC. CC requires a CC decoder. SDH doesn't require a CC decoder. Therefore SDH and CC are not the same.
I know that.

I was saying what was different when it shows up on the screen.

I already know that CC requires a decoder, while SDH doesn't.

I know that.

I was saying what was different when it shows up on the screen.

I already know that CC requires a decoder, while SDH doesn't.
:thumb:

That's great and also some in 3-D but in the near future, there might be a new technology such as 2160p (1080p times 2) so we would have to start all over again. Alot of people still keep their old DVDs (1000+) and don't want to waste money on a new technology like BD. Oh, well, life goes on.

:thumb:

That's great and also some in 3-D but in the near future, there might be a new technology such as 2160p (1080p times 2) so we would have to start all over again. Alot of people still keep their old DVDs (1000+) and don't want to waste money on a new technology like BD. Oh, well, life goes on.
1080 is already good enough as it is. It's because of how the human eye can perceive things on the screen. If they're going to increase the quality, then that will only be good on television screens that are wall-sized and we're sitting directly in front of it.

I had a roommate who was looking to buy a new big flat screen television. He was worried because of how expensive they were. I read an article about the difference between 1080 and 720. That's when I checked it out myself and confirmed it.

So, the next time we went to Best Buy... I told him to try something. We found two televisions... same size... same brand... everything the same... except one was 1080 and the other was 720. They were right next to each other.

I told him to stand in front of the television and tell me which looked better. He said the 1080 looked better. I then told him to stand at a distance to where he would actually be watching television (where he's putting the television) and he backed up. He said both looked the same. That's when he realized... for what he's using the television for, 720 is better. So, he bought that one and saved him half the cost.

Hardcore gamers who play video games 2 to 3 ft in front of the television... can benefit from 1080 televisions. Gamers who play video games from 5 to 7 ft in front of the television (or on a couch/bed)... can benefit from 720 televisions. No point wasting money on something you don't need. It's like buying a super fancy graphic calculator when you only want to do 2+2. ;)

Back