more interpreter issues...UGH!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My, "um, ok" was in reference to the fact that I echoed what MM was saying, in terms of school districts being difficult.

It came across as dismissive.

I would absolutely disagree that the laws are irrelevant.

The laws themselves aren't irrelevant, it was your pointing out that they exist that was irrelevant. Earlier in the thread people were discussing the difficulties they've had getting suitable accommodations from the public school system, and you posted a comment that seemed to say, "But how can that be when most states have laws that require qualified educational interpreters?"

I am not sure why he's taking blanket position against, "ignorant parents" being wholly responsible for their Childs services and education. The entire IEP team is responsible for ensuring that the child is accessing the curriculum, and that their needs are being met.

In theory, yes, but in my experience the IEP meetings are nothing more than uninformed and/or budget conscious school officials trying to pressure parents into accepting whatever accommodations the school happens to offer regardless of their suitability (often being the bare minimum necessary to comply with the law). If the parent isn't informed and bold enough to put their foot down and say, "I'm sorry, but that's not good enough," then deaf children are the ones stuck with unqualified and unethical "interpreters". The simple fact that the laws exist won't protect the child, which is why I say that it's up to the parent to wield them to their child's advantage. Trust me, school districts know how to skirt the line and remain technically legal while still providing sub par services.

One of the best things a parent can do before walking into an IEP meeting is to find a parent mentor to help them through the process. We were fortunate enough to be put in touch with the former principal of our local Deaf school, and she didn't take crap from anybody. She basically took charge and told the district officials in language that they understood exactly what it was our child needed and why placement at a facility other than the Deaf school was unsuitable.

We were done in about 20-minutes with the IEP we wanted and zero compromises on our part. That's how to get things done. They may call it an "IEP team", but I'm the head coach!

It came across as dismissive.

Well your post seemed like you were just trying to "stick it to me" for some odd reason.

The laws themselves aren't irrelevant, it was your pointing out that they exist that was irrelevant. Earlier in the thread people were discussing the difficulties they've had getting suitable accommodations from the public school system, and you posted a comment that seemed to say, "But how can that be when most states have laws that require qualified educational interpreters?"

I absolutely did not state, or even imply that. In fact, I acknowledged that on page 3, as I'm sure you saw because you were participating in the thread at that point. I've stated there are remedies and laws in place to afford the parents the right to insist on qualified interpreters. That has been my position from the beginning.

In theory, yes, but in my experience the IEP meetings are nothing more than
uninformed and/or budget conscious school officials trying to pressure parents
into accepting whatever accommodations the school happens to offer
regardless of their suitability (often being the bare minimum necessary to
comply with the law). If the parent isn't informed and bold enough to put
their foot down and say, "I'm sorry, but that's not good enough," then deaf
children are the ones stuck with unqualified and unethical "interpreters". The
simple fact that the laws exist won't protect the child, which is why I say that
it's up to the parent to wield them to their child's advantage. Trust me, school
districts know how to skirt the line and remain technically legal while still
providing sub par services.
One of the best things a parent can do before walking into an IEP meeting is to find a parent mentor to help them through the process. We were fortunate
enough to be put in touch with the former principal of our local Deaf school,
and she didn't take crap from anybody. She basically took charge and told the
district officials in language that they understood exactly what it was our child
needed and why placement at a facility other than the Deaf school was
unsuitable.
We were done in about 20-minutes with the IEP we wanted and zero
compromises on our part. That's how to get things done. They may call it an
"IEP team", but I'm the head coach!

I didn't realize this was the, "come in and gloat thread" where we pat ourselves on the back for how intimidating and effective we are. I'm happy to hear that your child is getting what he needs.

:applause:

I think you both need to acknowledge that you come from different backgrounds and are naturally going to say things in a different way (even if what you are trying to convey turns out to be very similar) and move on.

That is what we have been saying the entire time. Hearing parents, in general, approach things from a hearing perspective because they come from a hearing background. The D/deaf approach things from a deaf perspective because that is their background and experience. When it comes to the needs and accommodations that are most useful to someone coming from a deaf background are those designated by those who actually come from that background. NOT someone who comes from a background whose experience is completely different...as in hearing.

If you propose to advocate for the D/deaf, then you MUST take a D/deaf perspective in doing so.

I didn't realize this was the, "come in and gloat thread" where we pat ourselves on the back for how intimidating and effective we are. I'm happy to hear that your child is getting what he needs.

:applause:

The point is, MM's child is one of the very fortunate few. We are concerned witht the rest. This is not about the fortunate children. It is about the unfortunate ones who continue to pay the consequences for something for which they are not responsible.

Well your post seemed like you were just trying to "stick it to me" for some odd reason.

that's how you interpret all of our posts anyway... it's very unhealthy. you should talk to somebody about it.

that's how you interpret all of our posts anyway... it's very unhealthy. you should talk to somebody about it.

It seems to be a common misconception that everything is intended as something personal. That is not a problem with what is being said. It is a problem with the way one person interprets things.

It seems to be a common misconception that everything is intended as something personal. That is not a problem with what is being said. It is a problem with the way one person interprets things.

Yup. Off this site, I don't even think twice about most of the people here. Hearing parents... never think of them at all. Never personal.

Matter of fact, I let a few people in on why I defend my beliefs here to the fullest extent. It is not even anywhere close to "Attack the hearing parents"....

Yup. Off this site, I don't even think twice about most of the people here. Hearing parents... never think of them at all. Never personal.

Matter of fact, I let a few people in on why I defend my beliefs here to the fullest extent. It is not even anywhere close to "Attack the hearing parents"....

Agreed completely. There are a few people from this site that I think about when I am not here...but they are the ones that I have chosen to maintain a relationship with outside this forum.

I absolutely did not state, or even imply that.

Then I misunderstood, and I apologize.

. . .

I didn't realize this was the, "come in and gloat thread" where we pat ourselves on the back for how intimidating and effective we are.

I was doing neither of these things.

Actually, I'd say that post was personal. MM specifically pointed out that my post about there being laws in place is irrelevant thanks to "hearing ignorant parents". Pulling my post in saying it is irrelevant is actually personal. That post was also relevant to the topic at hand.

I refuse to answer that because you would hit "report bad post" 10 times.

But however... I asked you a question first.

PFH- I don't even bother reporting posts because it doesn't really do anything anyways.

I'm not sure I know what your intent was with, "here we go again". But if I understand you correctly, to answer... I'm not buying into the nonsense. I will, however clarify something if it warrants it.

Jiro telling me I need to, "Talk to somebody about it" warranted a response. I most certainly don't think everyone is "out to get me". I do know, that there are a handful of posters who don't like what I have to say. Those posters know who they are, and what their intent is.

PFH- I don't even bother reporting posts because it doesn't really do anything anyways.

I'm not sure I know what your intent was with, "here we go again". But if I understand you correctly, to answer... I'm not buying into the nonsense. I will, however clarify something if it warrants it.

Jiro telling me I need to, "Talk to somebody about it" warranted a response. I most certainly don't think everyone is "out to get me". I do know, that there are a handful of posters who don't like what I have to say. Those posters know who they are, and what their intent is.

1.) Right.

2.) The only reason I said here we go again was because of your head being like a Craftsman tool, forged with a lifetime warranty. Anytime anyone makes a dent or progress, you visit Sears.

1.) Right.

2.) The only reason I said here we go again was because of your head being like a Craftsman tool, forged with a lifetime warranty. Anytime anyone makes a dent or progress, you visit Sears.

That was creative. :cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back