Mom Makes Son Wear Sign Announcing 1.22 GPA

It'll harm the parent's relationship with the child. Abuse can be emotional and verbal abuse and this definitely qualifies.

It'll harm the parent's relationship with the child. Abuse can be emotional and verbal abuse and this definitely qualifies.

Who would define the abuse?

My mom used to spank me. Does this mean she should go to jail?
My mom told me "I think you need to lose weight". My feelings were hurt. Does this mean she should go to jail?
My mom has yelled at me. Does this mean she should go to jail?

Too much of a gray area to label singular events "Abuse!" right away. The WHOLE picture has to be taken into account before people start accusing.

Jiro's a hard-ass. :P

Criminal statutes define abuse in criminal cases. In family court, a court-appointed psychologist evaluates the parents and the child. The judge reads the psychologist's evaluation. Maybe a social worker's home study, too.

No one's going to jail over this. I don't think that it's wise. This mom's a softie! :D

Criminal statutes define abuse in criminal cases. In family court, a court-appointed psychologist evaluates the parents and the child. The judge reads the psychologist's evaluation. Maybe a social worker's home study, too.

No one's going to jail over this. I don't think that it's wise. This mom's a softie! :D

Ah, alright, I thought you were implying that because you believed that it was a form of abuse, the mom should go to jail. My bad! :)

Personally, I don't think it is. I think people like to think that there is no such thing as a bad child, only bad parents. Maybe there are some kids you just CANNOT get through. I personally wouldn't do this, but perhaps the parents were at the end of their rope. Fear, reward, taking away possessions, communication, etc. didn't do it. Maybe shame will.

I agree with Sallylou....I would not do this to my child. It's obvious, at age 15 and with a GPA of 1.22, he is wayyy behind. My 14 yr. old has a 4.0...
Perhaps a learning center, such as Sylvan, could be of help, and there are also residential treatment centers that help teens with their lack of motivation to do well in school. And they also can try to get to the root of the problem.

Putting this kid on a busy street, carrying a sign around his neck for everyone to see, is the same as "Look at me...I'm stupid"....What's left of his self-esteem is probably destroyed by now, and he will never forget something like this! And he might as well "rebel" more against his parents and schooling.

I don't think it should be against the law. The child is not physically forced to do this. Let's be honest, if he REALLY didn't want to do it, then he wouldn't have. He probably was threatened with something like "You do this or Ill take your car away from you.". Child abuse? Get real.

emotional abuse can be more lasting that physical abuse! There is more than one kind of abuse!

Who would define the abuse?

My mom used to spank me. Does this mean she should go to jail?
My mom told me "I think you need to lose weight". My feelings were hurt. Does this mean she should go to jail?
My mom has yelled at me. Does this mean she should go to jail?

Too much of a gray area to label singular events "Abuse!" right away. The WHOLE picture has to be taken into account before people start accusing.

Your mom could had some parenting classes! I know my dad could had gone to jail the way he abused me!

Your mom could had some parenting classes! I know my dad could had gone to jail the way he abused me!

LOL... wow excuse me? My mom could have had some parenting class? Normally, I'd be really offended, but I know in my heart that my mom has been an absolutely wonderful parent and I am guessing that you have some deep grudges against your parent(s) because of whatever they did. And you are simply taking it out on anyone who even REMOTELY reminds you of your parent(s).

By the way, my minority friends (Chinese, Hispanics) and I often chuckle about how some Americans think that spanking is such a horrible/barbaric thing. We find some of their ways amusing: Talk to the child, talk about feelings, and ask him what he did wrong and why it was wrong. To me, that's a funny picture when the child is only 2.

My mom has spanked me and even a few times with a spatula. My dad never spanked us but whacked our heads for any bad behavior. I have a very good relationship with both of them. I have given my two kids a tap on the butt for dangerous behaviors like crossing the street without looking or climbing on tables when they were toddlers.

If it's any consolation, the mother is getting a LOT of negative attention, so this is a perfect opportunity for the police or whatever service to start an investigation. So if she deserves it, she will suffer from consequences.

But I am also willing to bet that if they did an investigation, they will just come out saying "That boy needs to SHAPE UP. If he were my son, I'd kick him out my house."

Don't think this tactic will work on this kid.

I'd have him sent off to military school.

My 22 year old brother was sent off to boot camp when he was 16 for this same behavior plus more...he ran away from the camp. It costed my dad and stepmom $60K.

What if the mother sends him to military school and he takes off?

If it's any consolation, the mother is getting a LOT of negative attention, so this is a perfect opportunity for the police or whatever service to start an investigation. So if she deserves it, she will suffer from consequences.

But I am also willing to bet that if they did an investigation, they will just come out saying "That boy needs to SHAPE UP. If he were my son, I'd kick him out my house."

:gpost:

How do, or would you...kick a 15 yr. old out of the house? With no education, no job, no place to live, etc., etc....Would you be able to sleep at night, wondering if "ur child" was safe and warm and had at least something to eat?

Going to court would be the only option, I feel, saying the child was uncontrollable. Then again, it's trips back and forth to court, gonna take awhile!...The parents could have their child study for a GED. I feel, as a parent myself, that we are responsible for our child's behavior and education. "Shaming" the child by making him wear a sign around his neck is not gonna work, will do more damage. Spanking/beating the child is against the law....

Exhausting every avenue to find a solution to the problem...and then some more...would be my only option. I also wonder if the school he attends should be held accountable also!...Some kids are "passed up" when they should be held back...his GPA of 1.22 is proof of that...he has a learning disability is my opinion.

Ah, alright, I thought you were implying that because you believed that it was a form of abuse, the mom should go to jail. My bad! :)

Personally, I don't think it is. I think people like to think that there is no such thing as a bad child, only bad parents. Maybe there are some kids you just CANNOT get through. I personally wouldn't do this, but perhaps the parents were at the end of their rope. Fear, reward, taking away possessions, communication, etc. didn't do it. Maybe shame will.

Maybe beating the crap out of the kid will. :roll:
It is still child abuse.

A question for you all. How is it possible that this child is "forced" into doing this? Think about it, if it happened to you at 15 years old, do you think you would oblige? I would just say "no no no, I'll do better I promise!". Has it occurred to anyone that the boy simply doesn't care? He just simply said "yea okay whatever"? Obviously, an argument can be made that he is scared of his parents due to emotional abuse, but it doesn't sound like it. If he truly was scared, he wouldn't be slacking off.

But hey, if he truly is scared and just can't keep up academically (needs help, EVEN THOUGH he has already been offered), then I'm telling you, someone WILL step in due all this publicity. People in America are quick to respond to ANY inkling of child abuse. I mean, all I said that my mom used to spank me, and a few people got their panties in a twist about it (here and in real life). So I am confident that while this is probably an ineffective way of trying to "wake him up", that this isn't an example of child abuse. It is an example of a parent being at the end of their rope with their child.

Maybe beating the crap out of the kid will. :roll:
It is still child abuse.

Have you ever watched "Beyond Scared Straight"? It is a documentary show about a group of young troublemakers (13-18 years old) visiting prison. The prisoners yell at them, warn them, and even EMBARRASS them ("Oh lookie, young fresh meat here is crying. Waah waaah."). The purpose is to scare them to straighten up. It doesn't work all the time, but a handful of kids do change as a result of this visit.

Is sending your child to be part of this program this child abuse to you?

How do, or would you...kick a 15 yr. old out of the house? With no education, no job, no place to live, etc., etc....Would you be able to sleep at night, wondering if "ur child" was safe and warm and had at least something to eat?

Going to court would be the only option, I feel, saying the child was uncontrollable. Then again, it's trips back and forth to court, gonna take awhile!...The parents could have their child study for a GED. I feel, as a parent myself, that we are responsible for our child's behavior and education. "Shaming" the child by making him wear a sign around his neck is not gonna work, will do more damage. Spanking/beating the child is against the law....

Exhausting every avenue to find a solution to the problem...and then some more...would be my only option. I also wonder if the school he attends should be held accountable also!...Some kids are "passed up" when they should be held back...his GPA of 1.22 is proof of that...he has a learning disability is my opinion.

what's the difference anyway? he will be homeless in his adulthood.

Learning Disability? I think not.
James Mond III's indifference at a school meeting last week was the final straw.

A question for you all. How is it possible that this child is "forced" into doing this? Think about it, if it happened to you at 15 years old, do you think you would oblige? I would just say "no no no, I'll do better I promise!". Has it occurred to anyone that the boy simply doesn't care? He just simply said "yea okay whatever"? Obviously, an argument can be made that he is scared of his parents due to emotional abuse, but it doesn't sound like it. If he truly was scared, he wouldn't be slacking off.

But hey, if he truly is scared and just can't keep up academically (needs help, EVEN THOUGH he has already been offered), then I'm telling you, someone WILL step in due all this publicity. People in America are quick to respond to ANY inkling of child abuse. I mean, all I said that my mom used to spank me, and a few people got their panties in a twist about it (here and in real life). So I am confident that while this is probably an ineffective way of trying to "wake him up", that this isn't an example of child abuse. It is an example of a parent being at the end of their rope with their child.

Oh yes it is. Just saying. ;)

Back