Moans and Groans

I've run into the same problems with subtitles and closed captions, Kim. As lots have said here, the complaints and nonverbals (funny how eye-rolls and such are really "closed captions" in themselves) are from the profoundly immature and self-centered.

At the complex where I live, there are only two deafies (though I have found that many are secretly hard of hearing). Some people constantly complained of closed captions on the common TV and in the exercise room. One person hid the remote so it couldn't be turned on, but it backfired. Many hearing people complained, and the majority voted to have closed captions on permanently, so management paid to have closed captions on all the time.

I felt bad that all had to view closed captions until I was amazed to learn the number of hearing people who want them after experiencing them for a while.

Education is he answeer, and in public places, the people in charge bear the responsibilty to educate those who are too self-centered to accommodate. Ha ha ha, I really like the lesson of turning the sound off so the hearing can experience a little of our frustration.

That's good news, Chase; however, management didn't have to pay for CC.

Should have been clearer

I'm sorry I wrote that so poorly, Tousi. What I should have said was that after a 72% of adult residents voted for permanent closed captions on the two TVs residents use, the complex owner spent some of his earnings from rental fees for an electrician to wire the remotes so that closed captions could not be switched off. Security cables were also attached.

Actually, my entire story detracted from Kim's very legitimate complaint, so I apologize to her, too. When the TV sets are part of public education, Kim and others who need visual helps should not have to bear the brunt of reactions to reasonable accommodations. Once her requests were made and they were deemed reasonable, the administration needed to get to work complying and educating both instructors and students about the compliance.

Someone is always inconvenienced by others' needs. I don't really want to waste my time and gasoline waiting at a red light so other drivers can cross the intersection. But we don't think about it so much because our taxes pay for the intersecting streets, the systems allowing reasonable use, and the public education necessity to comply.

That last paragraph may seem an exaggeration, but it really applies to all use of public facilities.

Actually, my entire story detracted from Kim's very legitimate complaint, so I apologize to her, too.

naw it's an open thread and i'm done ranting so, time for other people to relate! =) I love that 72% of the residents voted yes for CC! great idea to have the remote wired and everything. i love it when we can pull hearing people into using closed captions :D

This reminds me of my sister who is a selfish couch potato. Whenever I walk in the room and she knows I'm there, she will start flipping through channels so that I won't be interested in watching television with her. If I sit there anyway knowing that she can't do it forever, she'll start moaning and groaning... before getting up, turning the television off, and walking away like a whiner.

I don't knkow why hearing people have such a problem with captions. I'm hearing and I LOVE captions! Sometimes people mumble or someone I'm watching TV with starts talking or some other distraction. Plus, it's much easier to remember a good quote if I read it as opposed to just hearing it.

My deaf son left for college 2 years ago, and I still have the captions on the T.V. I got used to them years ago, and still use them, lol. But, then I still have a light hooked to my doorbell and my smoke alarms, too!

This reminds me of my sister who is a selfish couch potato. Whenever I walk in the room and she knows I'm there, she will start flipping through channels so that I won't be interested in watching television with her. If I sit there anyway knowing that she can't do it forever, she'll start moaning and groaning... before getting up, turning the television off, and walking away like a whiner.

Haha ;)

subtitles ervices on our 3 tv channels, *plus some 3-4 outher private channels as well as SKY channels (I dont know how many, I dont want much TV, except films on Sundays, daily news at 6pm, maybe an odd docu that's about it , I like foriegn films , some of which has really different way of story -telling like a slice of life approach, that really is insightful
what i like the most about CC /subtitles is when you have it on documentarys, oh boy , its fantastic

hmm so last night I met my younger sister's (sis #1) new bf, who's about a year younger than me, and they were watching tv. I came in, my other sis #2 asked if I wanted to watch. I sat down then quickly sat up because sis #1 was looking at me and mouthing "nooooo" ... so I got the hint, me sitting down to watch tv would require her turning on the subtitles. ughghughghghghghgh

hmm so last night I met my younger sister's (sis #1) new bf, who's about a year younger than me, and they were watching tv. I came in, my other sis #2 asked if I wanted to watch. I sat down then quickly sat up because sis #1 was looking at me and mouthing "nooooo" ... so I got the hint, me sitting down to watch tv would require her turning on the subtitles. ughghughghghghghgh

Your sister has a great pity! :ugh:

argh, just woke up this morning, forgot to say, those extra channels here, are privately owned so these doesn't have subtitles. This is really annoying like, imagine how much you'd learn just from the 'discovery' channel (SKY TV) if subtitles were available.

yeah Kimpossible and (everyone else) I dont appreciate hearies ignorance of our 'need' to use subtitles, though some hearing likes using it -which is welcoming. Everytime I visit my relatives, they always peeved me with their utter nescience. Over the years deaf people have been banging for more coverages running with subtitles, we're getting there I think its 40 hours per week, maybe now more I am not sure. I havent got time top find out right now.

One other thing which seems a lot of use forgets, use of subtitles imply compency with English, which in reality many deaf people do not have the education to grasp the contents. I think (am I wrong?) that in UK they have a feature for interpreter to sign on the corner of the screen's display ...... even if that, its very limited.....

anyone know more about that?

thats' not good, you need to be more assertive, though I know easy said than done...

Back