Minn. Judge Rules Teen Must See Cancer Doctor

Well, I agree that he should definately be involved, but my concern is that, at the age of 13, he is not able to think beyond the immediate moment to future implications. One of the reasons that teens get into trouble and find themselves in situations that make adults say, "Did you even think about what might have happened?" is because they simply can't think things through to a logical conclusion. Their frontal lobe simply hasn't developed enough to allow them to do that.

True and his parents may have used that to their advantage to convince the boy that there will be no later consequences. Either that or the parent's frontal lobes have not developed yet. :lol:

True and his parents may have used that to their advantage to convince the boy that there will be no later consequences. Either that or the parent's frontal lobes have not developed yet. :lol:

LOL @ the parents' frontal lobes! Yes, I am concerned that the parents are taking advantage of his immaturity and his trust in them.

I just wish these religious fanatics would see that the upper power, is what gave people the knowledge of medical technology.

Very sad situation. I really don´t know what should I say but I remember the thread somewhere that the parents respect their daughter´s wish but their doctors sue them but girl won at court case.

http://www.alldeaf.com/current-events/58822-girl-refuses-medical-treatment.html

About boy´s situation. He choose to listen his parents over the doctors. I know it´s very sad that he was being brainwashed by reglious.

Teen who fled chemo may be heading to Mexico
13-year-old boy ran away with mom after court ordered cancer care

NEW ULM, Minn. - A new arrest warrant was issued Thursday as the search continued for the mother who fled with her 13-year-old cancer-stricken son to avoid chemotherapy treatments.

Colleen Hauser's son, Daniel, has Hodgkin's lymphoma. The two from Minnesota were seen in Southern California on Tuesday morning and authorities have said they could be in Mexico.

"Hopefully we'll find Daniel, for Daniel's sake," Brown County Sheriff Rich Hoffmann said Thursday.

The Brown County Sheriff's Department said that the new warrant for the mother is for deprivation of parental rights. An earlier arrest warrant was based on a contempt of court charge.

Brown County Attorney James Olson said the county has taken custody of Daniel to get him to a pediatric oncologist.

"If she comes back today or tomorrow I would dismiss it," Olson said of the charges. "The reason was not to punish her."

Hoffman said he hopes the pair is still in the U.S. Authorities said they didn't know what can be done if the Hausers have reached Mexico.

Authorities believe the mother and son fled Monday after a court-ordered X-ray showed a tumor in Daniel's chest was growing. Doctors have said the tumor will likely kill Daniel without conventional treatment, but Colleen Hauser favors healing methods of an American Indian religious group known as the Nemenhah Band.

Hoffmann said Hauser's husband, Anthony Hauser, was cooperating with investigators.

The new warrant gives law enforcement agencies in other states the authority to detain Hauser if the two are found. But authorities said they didn't know what could be done if the Hausers have reached Mexico. Hoffmann said he hopes the pair is still in the U.S.

"I just wish we could get to Colleen and tell her to come in," Hoffmann said. "This is not going to go away. It's a court order."

Hodgkin's lymphoma is a highly curable form of cancer when treated with chemo and radiation. But the teen and his parents rejected chemo after a single treatment, with the boy's mother saying that putting toxic substances in the body violates the family's religious convictions.

Hauser said she had been treating the boy's cancer instead with herbal supplements, vitamins, ionized water and other natural alternatives — a regimen based mostly on information she found on the Internet.

Anthony Hauser said Wednesday that his wife and son left without telling him their plans, and that he hadn't heard from them.

James Olson, the attorney representing social service authorities in Minnesota, originally asked the judge to cite the father for contempt of court, but later backed off and said he believed Hauser didn't know where his wife and son had gone.

An alert issued to police departments around the country said mother and son might be traveling with a California lawyer named Susan Daya. Daya didn't return telephone messages Wednesday.

When asked Thursday if the reported citing of the Hausers in southern California included Daya, Sheriff Hoffman said he had no comment.

The alert said they might also be with a Massachusetts man named Billy Best, who as a teenager in 1994 ran away from home to escape chemotherapy for cancer similar to Daniel's.

Best, who says he was cured by natural remedies, is supporting the family's effort to avoid chemo for Daniel but said this week he hasn't talked to the mother and son since they fled.

Boy who fled chemo may be heading to Mexico - Kids and parenting- msnbc.com

I realize that force him to have cancer treatment by the court for the doctors, doesn´t solve anything but fulfilling his wish. It´s between him and his parents.

Teen who fled chemo may be heading to Mexico
13-year-old boy ran away with mom after court ordered cancer care

NEW ULM, Minn. - A new arrest warrant was issued Thursday as the search continued for the mother who fled with her 13-year-old cancer-stricken son to avoid chemotherapy treatments.

Colleen Hauser's son, Daniel, has Hodgkin's lymphoma. The two from Minnesota were seen in Southern California on Tuesday morning and authorities have said they could be in Mexico.

"Hopefully we'll find Daniel, for Daniel's sake," Brown County Sheriff Rich Hoffmann said Thursday.

The Brown County Sheriff's Department said that the new warrant for the mother is for deprivation of parental rights. An earlier arrest warrant was based on a contempt of court charge.

Brown County Attorney James Olson said the county has taken custody of Daniel to get him to a pediatric oncologist.

"If she comes back today or tomorrow I would dismiss it," Olson said of the charges. "The reason was not to punish her."

Hoffman said he hopes the pair is still in the U.S. Authorities said they didn't know what can be done if the Hausers have reached Mexico.

Authorities believe the mother and son fled Monday after a court-ordered X-ray showed a tumor in Daniel's chest was growing. Doctors have said the tumor will likely kill Daniel without conventional treatment, but Colleen Hauser favors healing methods of an American Indian religious group known as the Nemenhah Band.

Hoffmann said Hauser's husband, Anthony Hauser, was cooperating with investigators.

The new warrant gives law enforcement agencies in other states the authority to detain Hauser if the two are found. But authorities said they didn't know what could be done if the Hausers have reached Mexico. Hoffmann said he hopes the pair is still in the U.S.

"I just wish we could get to Colleen and tell her to come in," Hoffmann said. "This is not going to go away. It's a court order."

Hodgkin's lymphoma is a highly curable form of cancer when treated with chemo and radiation. But the teen and his parents rejected chemo after a single treatment, with the boy's mother saying that putting toxic substances in the body violates the family's religious convictions.

Hauser said she had been treating the boy's cancer instead with herbal supplements, vitamins, ionized water and other natural alternatives — a regimen based mostly on information she found on the Internet.

Anthony Hauser said Wednesday that his wife and son left without telling him their plans, and that he hadn't heard from them.

James Olson, the attorney representing social service authorities in Minnesota, originally asked the judge to cite the father for contempt of court, but later backed off and said he believed Hauser didn't know where his wife and son had gone.

An alert issued to police departments around the country said mother and son might be traveling with a California lawyer named Susan Daya. Daya didn't return telephone messages Wednesday.

When asked Thursday if the reported citing of the Hausers in southern California included Daya, Sheriff Hoffman said he had no comment.

The alert said they might also be with a Massachusetts man named Billy Best, who as a teenager in 1994 ran away from home to escape chemotherapy for cancer similar to Daniel's.

Best, who says he was cured by natural remedies, is supporting the family's effort to avoid chemo for Daniel but said this week he hasn't talked to the mother and son since they fled.

Boy who fled chemo may be heading to Mexico - Kids and parenting- msnbc.com

I realize that force him to have cancer treatment by the court for the doctors, doesn´t solve anything but fulfilling his wish. It´s between him and his parents.

It looks like they need go to federal court or supreme court if state court hasn't solve any problem.

Really stupid. she's killing her own son without medical treatment.

Breaking the court rules would obviously put the mother in serious shit so...oh well her problem. She should've get what is best for the boy.

Putting religion over everything isnt going to help. God has stated he put EVERYTHING there for a reason and that includes doctors.

I guess they haven't thought of that. :roll:

Wow she is surely a genius! :roll: Such excellent treatments to fight against the millions year old deadly cancer.

If her son don't want treatment then it should be his own choice.

Whether the boy dont want treatment or not, he have to get it, even if that includes forcing. He is 13 years old and is not completely old enough to make his own decisions.

He HAVE to understand this is a very serious matter and his life is at risk so if he dont do something about it, then who to blame?

Whether the boy dont want treatment or not, he have to get it, even if that includes forcing. He is 13 years old and is not completely old enough to make his own decisions.

He HAVE to understand this is a very serious matter and his life is at risk so if he dont do something about it, then who to blame?

Whatever you believe but couple has went to Mexico and our judge is already screw up.

I don't think it could find in Mexico, thorough.

Her son is possibly to be in late stage of cancer, it would be very difficult to fight it.

I mean exactly what I said. In the case of deciding his medical treatment, he has no constitutional rights.
I quoted exactly what you said. You didn't specify medical treatment only.

Do you believe that is true for all minors deciding medical treatment? Or just this minor?

Do you believe that is true for all minors deciding medical treatment? Or just this minor?

What's your thought about her son? It should be their choice on own?

What's your thought about her son? It should be their choice on own?
I think he should take the chemo treatments. The prognosis for that kind of cancer is good. I prefer that he take the treatments because he and his family agree that it is the best thing to do rather than being forced to do it by a court. Cancer treatments are rough, and facing them with a positive attitude with supportive family members will go more smoothly than if the patient is in fear, resisting, kicking and screaming.

It seems that the dad might be having a change of heart. If the court can give the dad full custody for this situation, and if the dad can agree to the treatments and convince the boy that it's the way to go, then perhaps that would be the best choice. At least the boy would have one parent present who could support him thru the treatments.

I think he should take the chemo treatments. The prognosis for that kind of cancer is good. I prefer that he take the treatments because he and his family agree that it is the best thing to do rather than being forced to do it by a court. Cancer treatments are rough, and facing them with a positive attitude with supportive family members will go more smoothly than if the patient is in fear, resisting, kicking and screaming.

It seems that the dad might be having a change of heart. If the court can give the dad full custody for this situation, and if the dad can agree to the treatments and convince the boy that it's the way to go, then perhaps that would be the best choice. At least the boy would have one parent present who could support him thru the treatments.

What happen after couple of mother and son has went to Mexico to prevent any treatment that ordered by judge and does judge made any wrong to say or force?

Since medical treatment for this particular child is what we are discussing in this topic, I assumed any reasonable person would understand what I was talking about.

What happen after couple of mother and son has went to Mexico to prevent any treatment that ordered by judge and does judge made any wrong to say or force?

There is a warrant out for the mother's arrest. If they return to the U.S., the mpther will be arrested, and the son will be taken into state custody.

It doesn't appear that the mother is too terribly concerned about the 7 children she left behind here, either.

This family has been identified as Catholic. There is nothing in the Catholic Doctrine that would prohibit receiving medical care. In fact, the Catholic Doctrine would certainly not support this mother's actions that will ultimately lead to the death of her child as a result of medical neglect. They don't have a "religious" leg to stand on in this case.

I wonder. This woman gave birth to 8 children. Did she go to the hospital to give birth? Did she regularly see a doctor during all of her pregnancies? Did she get anesthesia during delivery of those infants? If so, why should she get medical care, and then turn around and deny it to her son claiming "religious" reasons?

We also know that this is a 13 year old boy who cannot read, and therefore cannot give informed consent. It looks like these parents are guilty of more forms of neglect than just medical neglect.

Since medical treatment for this particular child is what we are discussing in this topic, I assumed any reasonable person would understand what I was talking about.

To say that he does not have a Constitutional rights.... that applies to all minors. You should know that the Constitutional Rights are not selective. It applies to all.

Back