Minn. Judge Rules Teen Must See Cancer Doctor

Chemotherapy is drugs. Radiation is x-ray. They focus the radiation on the tumor specifically and shoot radiation into the area in order to shrink a tumor. It is often done prior to surgery if a tumor is too big to safely remove, or to help shrink an inoperable tumor. If there is a chance that there may be some of the margins remaining following surgery, they will often do radiation of the area.

:ty: As far as I know, I don't think my mother had radiation due to her pancreatic cancer. Do you know if radiation is normally performed for that kind of cancer or does it tend to be too far advanced in most cases? By the time my mother's cancer was detected, it had already invaded 95% of her organs.

Children can die during chemotherapy, and some do die during the procedure. It's awful.

That doesn't mean I would recommend avoiding chemotherapy when the chances are good for survival.

There is a risk with the chemo, and the parents are informed of that before the procedure is done.

I do think that if someone chooses not to take that risk their wishes should be respected. I've known several people who died of cancer. They've all had Chemo as part of their treatment so it's not like that the chemo always works.

In this case the boy tried chemo. He didn't like it. I think in this case he should have the right not to have it any more since he's probably going to die anyway so it would be kinder if he didn't die having something like this done against his wishes.

:ty: As far as I know, I don't think my mother had radiation due to her pancreatic cancer. Do you know if radiation is normally performed for that kind of cancer or does it tend to be too far advanced in most cases? By the time my mother's cancer was detected, it had already invaded 95% of her organs.

Probably not. It sounds like your mother's cancer had metastisized.

I do think that if someone chooses not to take that risk their wishes should be respected. I've known several people who died of cancer. They've all had Chemo as part of their treatment so it's not like that the chemo always works.

In this case the boy tried chemo. He didn't like it. I think in this case he should have the right not to have it any more since he's probably going to die anyway so it would be kinder if he didn't die having something like this done against his wishes.

There is up to a 95% chance that he won't. And there is a reason that 13 year olds are called minors and required to be under the care and supervision of an adult.

Probably not. It sounds like your mother's cancer had metastisized.

I think you're right Jillio because I don't remember hearing my mother mention anything about radiation.

Instead, she had chemo once/week for awhile until the time she decided she no longer wanted to have it.

Back