Met my first Corso!

dogmom

Reaction score
cane corso, saw you in other thread recently....finally met Corso puppy in person, adorable! Had read about the breed and talked w/folks in Corso rescue but had never seen one here...then went to pet bakery to get something for my guys and in walks someone w/Corso baby, very square pup, similar in some ways to some Pittie pups I've seen, but just had this Corso "look" about him.

Corso?

Talking about this?

cane-corso-0066.jpg

awwwwww, so Kewwwttt. (Oh goodness, I go all granny over dogs)

They are big dogs. Mastiffs. The bad thing about them is that they have a shorter life span (about 10 years) and joint problems. I've also read that these dogs require a very an experienced trainer and a firm hand. Not a breed for an average family.

I really tend to prefer small, hypoallergenic dogs. That dance. And wear cute T-shirts.
And play gentle tug of war that does not hurt my arthritic hands.
And who smile and like to sniff flowers.

I can just carry mace for the aggressive side of me.

yes, jk - part of the Molasser - Mastiff- family, read about 'em when looking at dogs before getting Rotties - like Rotties - NOT for inexperienced people, powerful dogs. There seemed to be more reputable and local knowledgeable Rottie people around at time of our initial search and the history in this country is longer, therefore more work on genetic issues and so, altogether we went with Rotties, which is my heart-breed. Attended many conformation shows and met w/handlers and breeders but didn't see any Corso's entered and since then still haven't.

Traditional Rottie lifespan averages around 10-13 years; my breeder has had several go to 13, occasionally 15. BUT, remember how much highly processed and inappropriate cereal-based food <kibble> dogs and cats are fed and the results of annual and combined vaccinations, all of which play a role in overall health and longevity. <which why I feed raw, do not vaccinate and don't use chemicals, including commercial floor cleaner, flea collars, grass treatments and the like around the dogs>

I tend to personally really enjoy the bigger, working breeds/types and desire personally a certain size, temperament and physical ability to do certain activities such as cart and herding, but I like all dogs. :)

Anyway, the Corso baby was <for me> just adorable; I would, however, not have the breeder do a crop.

:ty:for move, Vamp

Rotties SMILE and play gentle Tug:)

I rescued a pit bull before because she needed me. Actually the vet thought she was probably half Great Dane due to size.

Of course she smiled at me and loved me. Too much arthritis to try tug of war. But she was nice to the cat and loved to play with the little dogs.

That said I caged her in the house when the mail was coming as she was convinced the mail carrier must be eliminated.

I loved that dog, but I feel some respsonsibility to say in as literate a manner as I am capable of , that they should not be made to sound cute to the general population. Cane Corsos more so as they are much larger and need a really good handler.

Former neighbor's kept two Rottweilers. THey killed the cat for sport one day when the woman turned her back.

:ty: for rescuing the Pittie, Bott!
oh, yes- do agree that the level of responsibility/serious-ness really goes up when you have one of such breeds/types, such as Bullies, Corso, Rotties, Dobes - due not only to size/power, but also due to people's often unfounded and automatic fear of them and people getting them for wrong reasons. My Rotties are judged and treated differently in same situation than say, a Cocker Spaniel, Lab or whatever.

Rotties killing the cats, that could be a predatory behavior common to many breeds, including Labs, BC's, Terriers, or an accident due to sheer size as in my hypothetical example of a St.Bernard < giant breed that, while can be concerning to some due to pure size, does not suffer breed bias of dogs I mentioned in above paragraph>. In my perception as trainer and dog person, that is owner/handler error in judgment, or a very sad, sudden mistake.

Dog's behavior is combination of genetic background and handler responsibility/knowledge.

Cane Corso looks like sort of a pitbull in a way.

One of my dogs is a bull terrier mix. She is part pug. She looks like a small pit bull with a curly tail. She's a rescue and she's the best family dog ever.

For a family dog, I prefer medium sized dogs that are sturdy and good with kids. I've always had a soft spot for rescue dogs, and our mutts are the great dogs.

One of my dogs is a bull terrier mix. She is part pug. She looks like a small pit bull with a curly tail. She's a rescue and she's the best family dog ever.

For a family dog, I prefer medium sized dogs that are sturdy and good with kids. I've always had a soft spot for rescue dogs, and our mutts are the great dogs.

I love rescue too! Our latest is a Peke as I am sure you know. He came to us starved and beaten.

But he has really gained strength and energy as we care for him. But he always sits by me and has developed the habit of suddenly turning and biting my finger when I am petting. Of course I jump a mile!

My daughter was here last night and she said he does growl a little before he does it , but I am unable to hear him.

At any rate she suggested the sign name for him of initialized "C" for coward, with "bite" coming down on top. (He only does it to me.)

It was decided that I will just pull down my sleeves and give him big hugs if he does it. So far it does help and he seems reassured.

A large rescue dog with issues though could do some damage before you worked through them.

I don't think our bull terrier was abused. She was a stray. She got lost or someone dumped her. She is not skiddish or aggressive. She is terrified of thunder. One night, we found her in the bathtub while it was thundering. Poor sweetie!

Even small dogs can cause serious injury. The small dogs need training just like the larger dogs. If your dog continues to have issues, you might want to talk to a trainer. Liver bits and positive reinforcement work wonders.

I don't think our bull terrier was abused. She was a stray. She got lost or someone dumped her. She is not skiddish or aggressive. She is terrified of thunder. One night, we found her in the bathtub while it was thundering. Poor sweetie!

Even small dogs can cause serious injury. The small dogs need training just like the larger dogs. If your dog continues to have issues, you might want to talk to a trainer. Liver bits and positive reinforcement work wonders.

Sadly, I am a dog trainer. :lol:

And I forgot to say, pretty much an in demand dog trainer, due to my kindness.

I wish that I were in the same place so that you could be my dog trainer. Our border collie mix could use some more training. Always positive reinforcement only! :D

when I first started training, I did learn using "old school" corrections - positive punishment. Some years back I threw away all my chokes, prongs, etc, and started w/reward-based/Clicker and have been doing that for some years now - much more focus on relationship w/dog, on reinforcing what you LIKE/WANT and setting dog up to succeed, and enjoy learning! I have assisting and teaching in classes now for while so I can eventually take test to become "certified".

How nice.. I knew about the breed since 2000. Almost bought a cane corso, but I didn't. I got myself a Belgian Malinois instead.

BUT, remember how much highly processed and inappropriate cereal-based food <kibble> dogs and cats are fed and the results of annual and combined vaccinations, all of which play a role in overall health and longevity. <which why I feed raw, do not vaccinate and don't use chemicals, including commercial floor cleaner, flea collars, grass treatments and the like around the dogs>

How nice to see another folk who know a lot about dogs health issues and vaccinosis.

Good friends of our adopted her son's big dog, Massif. Her son had issue so best to adopt his dog. He is HUGE for a year old! OH MY GOD! I was like :jaw:
on VP! My friend laughed so hard at me when I said that!!

Casro is a huge too! I don't want a big dog! I love little! :)

Back