Met my first Corso!

when I first started training, I did learn using "old school" corrections - positive punishment. Some years back I threw away all my chokes, prongs, etc, and started w/reward-based/Clicker and have been doing that for some years now - much more focus on relationship w/dog, on reinforcing what you LIKE/WANT and setting dog up to succeed, and enjoy learning! I have assisting and teaching in classes now for while so I can eventually take test to become "certified".

You and I seem to come from the same boat; however, I do use prong on my malinois. He was trained on marker all his life, but sometimes it is not the answer to everything. I have failed to get him out when he bites hard on the suit of a decoy and refused to let it go. That is where I have no other choice but use prong collar to correct his out.

:wave: Cane Corso, :ty: for feedback, yes I think we agree on much:)
Am interested French Ring and especially Schutzhund, have seen the latter and my breeder is involved in that as well as many other venues, don't know enough about it from training perspective to make comment as it related to +re.

so far that little blue boy I met <first post> continues to be the only one I've seen personally.

:D I have a Frenchie-Pug, who is half French Bulldog and half Pug. Budha is a neutered 6 year old male. He's medium-sized. Although I have wanted a large-sized dog, my hubby preferred medium-sized, so we went with the breeds that are medium-sized. I have had 3 dogs growing up (not all at once) and my hubby has never had a dog before and always wanted a dog so much. Budha is nothing like any dog I have ever experienced before. He's a cool dog.

Budha is a 30-pounder of PURE MUSCLE. He can literally drag me by the leash. He's done it before, especially that one time I overfed him and he bulked up with more muscles. I overfed him by accident because of the mental fog from a cold that I had. If there's a doggy body-building contest, I'd enter him in and all I have to do is feed him more food. :laugh2:

For people who is not used to Budha, he can be way too much for them. He's a total rough-and-tumble type of dog. He has hyperactive spurts. I had so much trouble finding a puppy class that would accomodate appropriately. This one puppy class we went to was ok but, in the end, I couldn't continue with the "old school" methods, so I started training him in positive ways. It was a battle to balance fatigue, multifocusing, and consistency in training. The fatigue is totally my problem, since I easily get burnt-out.

The training faltered for a couple of years due to my illness, but he continued to be a great dog. He, in fact, helped me during my illness. Due to the inconsistency, I excercise great responsiblilty in making sure he doesn't cause any problem for anyone. He's a very cute and sweet pup who loves to play. And he's hyper when plays. When there are kids around, I am hypervigilant for their safety when it comes to my dog. He's pretty good with kids, but I don't want to take any chances.

Back