Meningitis-CI Users

Angel

♥"Concrete Angel"♥
Premium Member
Reaction score
Where did you hear that some children die from being implanted with CI?...

{Mod Edit: This 'new' thread was created and taken out of another thread that bears no specific relation to the 'other' topic which was being discussed there. The need to create this 'new' thread out of the other thread warrants such further discussions and presenting viable and helpful information for those who may want or need it.}

Last edited by a moderator:
^Angel^ said:
Where did you hear that some children die from being implanted with CI?...

My friend told me but for overall with all other countries so of course, not know about USA only. It's can be possible when children has bad reaction with CI or other special device but I don't know what's wrong with them.

TrippLA said:
My friend told me but for overall with all other countries so of course, not know about USA only. It's can be possible when children has bad reaction with CI or other special device but I don't know what's wrong with them.
It would be more sense if those children died from meningitis POST-SURGERY not during. Heck some children do die from meningitis BEFORE they got CI. The high rate of death among children are from meningitis BEFORE CI than those who died AFTER Surgery. No one died during the surgery.

And there are children who got meningitis and survived and became deaf due to that went on to get CI.

My friend who has a CI, did had meningitis after her CI. She had to go under second surgery to be re-implant. http://www.alldeaf.com/archive/index.php/t-7043.html

I've also read that some do have meningitis after CI.

The FDA has just issued a notice warning that children who received a cochlear implant with a positioner continue to be at increased meningitis risk beyond 24 months after implantation. Here's the information as posted at http://www.fda.gov/cdrh/safety/020606-cochlear.html

http://www.hearinglossweb.com/Technology/CochlearImplants/CI_Information/posthr.htm

Boult said:
It would be more sense if those children died from meningitis POST-SURGERY not during. Heck some children do die from meningitis BEFORE they got CI. The high rate of death among children are from meningitis BEFORE CI than those who died AFTER Surgery. No one died during the surgery.

And there are children who got meningitis and survived and became deaf due to that went on to get CI.

I knew about the meningitis infection but I didn't know that some children died from it cause I haven't heard any cases on that unless you have read a few, if so could you please provide me a link or two, I would appreciate that very much...

^Angel^ said:
Wow, I guess I'm learning something new here.... :ugh:

This risk was associated with a brand called Advanced Bionics who were the only ones who made the implant with a positioner, which was linked to the increased risk of meningitis. Advanced Bionics stopped making them in 2002, when the study came out.

The other brands such as Cochlear who have 70% of the market never made their implants with a positioner.

They don't know yet for sure if having a non positioner CI puts at increased risk even though implanted children are at higher risk than the normal population. This is because some children who are implanted are at higher risk anyway with implant or no implant due to a deformity of the inner ear.

Since the study came out children are vaccinated beforehand as a precaution.

pre-suregery vaccinations against meningitis are now mandatory. I had to have one.

^Angel^ said:
I knew about the meningitis infection but I didn't know that some children died from it cause I haven't heard any cases on that unless you have read a few, if so could you please provide me a link or two, I would appreciate that very much...
Cheri already provided the FDA link

and here's few;
http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/m/meningitis/deaths.htm

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000608.htm
xpectations (prognosis) Return to top

The death rate ranges from 5% to 15%, with young children and adults over 50 having the highest risk of death.

that's higher than those death from meningitis post ci-surgery

Boult said:

That what I means but some did said if any children get CI so it would be high risk to get meningitis.

That's happened in 80's and 90's.

TrippLA said:
That what I means but some did said if any children get CI so it would be high risk to get meningitis.

That's happened in 80's and 90's.
BUT kids are already at risk to meningitis PRE and POST anyway. if you have kids that don't have CI, you still want to vaccine for that diseases because of school, kids are always at close ranges, they are bound to get infected from that.

even if you have kids that are college bound should get this vaccine;
http://www.acha.org/projects_programs/meningitis/index.cfm

see this 2002 news http://www.dailygamecock.com/media/...0604180127&sourcedomain=www.dailygamecock.com

I haven't get meningitis vaccine yet but I had cochlear implants since 1999 and stopped to wear in 2002. I hate CI!!!

TrippLA said:
I haven't get meningitis vaccine yet but I had cochlear implants since 1999 and stopped to wear in 2002. I hate CI!!!

How come? You heard the first sound of a cow mooing? :giggle:

I'm just giving you a hard time, Seriously how come?

Cheri said:
How come? You heard the first sound of a cow mooing? :giggle:

I'm just giving you a hard time, Seriously how come?

:gives:

TrippLA said:
I don't recall getting one either before my ci surgery either. I love my CI!

TrippLA said:

Awww man, That hurts. :( Come on seriously tell me about why you decide not to wear CI anymore. ;)

Boult said:
I don't recall getting one either before my ci surgery either. I love my CI!

In few years ago, I went visit doctor in clinic at hospital and ask about want get CI out but most insurance will not cover it. Only can pay hospital's payment but I'm still think about it.

Cheri said:
Awww man, That hurts. :( Come on seriously tell me about why you decide not to wear CI anymore. ;)

CI is too loud, not hear so normal, unlike hearing aid, nothing to cure my life and too much money to spent. I had serious problem with dizzy like became sick at LA middle school and I'm decided to quit wear CI when I was in freshmen. It's won't my mom fault but doctor forced some kids to get CI for discount cost.

I'm active with hearing aid, not all children are so.

Back