Medical exam for driving licence

Giulia

Reaction score
Hi all
Did you have any medical exam for your driving licence ? I ask you in order to compare the French and American system.

Thanks in advance

I think most states conduct a vision test/screening. Nothing more; nothing less.

In France, if you declare that you have a medical condition, you have to go to a medical commission. And since doctors are not updated, especially in psychiatry, I fear the worst.

In the U.S., if you are totally deaf as I am, your chauffeur's driver license (CDL) will not be renewed. If you are totally deaf, you can't get a CDL. It's audism of the worst kind.

There are different levels, but a CDL is a commercial driver's license for driving school busses, semi-trucks with trailers, etc.

In the U.S., if you are totally deaf as I am, your chauffeur's driver license (CDL) will not be renewed. If you are totally deaf, you can't get a CDL. It's audism of the worst kind.

I think that sucks.

When I was about 19 or 20 years old I tried to get a job driving trucks, but when I called to set up an interview, I was told that I would have to pass a hearing test. I'm totally deaf, so forget it! No fair...I would have made good money driving a truck. :(

Yes, you are right but if want to drive a big truck, you have to pass medical axam to obtain a CDL...
Same in France !! :(

So here I am. I have been diagnosed with ADHD, and I fear the worst for my medical exam for driving licence : not only medical board doctors are not up-to-date with psychiatry (for example, if you take an antipsychotic like Abilify for anxio-depressive disorder, they will tell you you're psychotic :shock: I have interviewed some board medical driving licence doctors and one told me : "If someone takes Abilify for anxio-depressive disorder, he is psychotic" (sorry if my translation isn't perfect, but the sense is inside !!)), but moreover, even if one is up-to-date with psychiatry, the is a possibility of a million that he knows ADHD to adults :shock: So I will let a bit the driving licence, but I won't let myself beat by stupid doctors :|:barf:

but other part need have to pass vision test for driving.
i failed, but still was told that i can go to eye doctor to get some glasses for driving i need to get one.

Look like a car treat like a plane, I remember I plan to take flying school but they require me to pass the physical exam.

Guilia -

I am curious; Since you're from France - How is it easy or hard for a deaf person to get a driver's license over there? Does that mean every deaf person in France are required to take a medical examination in order to obtain a driver's license?

Hi Jolie
You are right in my topic :) (I have written an article about medical exam and driving licence in France)

Guilia -

I am curious; Since you're from France - How is it easy or hard for a deaf person to get a driver's license over there? Does that mean every deaf person in France are required to take a medical examination in order to obtain a driver's license?
1) It depends of which kind of driving licence you want, and which kind (unilateral or bilateral, and the degree of it) of deafness you have.

2) Yep :( That's a real problem because before 2005 (so maybe 3 years ago, I don't remember the exact date), you could have a psychiatric exam in order, I quote "to check if you are not mentally retarded" :shock:

Hi Jolie
You are right in my topic :) (I have written an article about medical exam and driving licence in France)

1) It depends of which kind of driving licence you want, and which kind (unilateral or bilateral, and the degree of it) of deafness you have.

2) Yep :( That's a real problem because before 2005 (so maybe 3 years ago, I don't remember the exact date), you could have a psychiatric exam in order, I quote "to check if you are not mentally retarded" :shock:

Interesting! Where's the article? I would like to read it. :)

My experience with driving licence medical exam

Hi Jolie
Just to talk about my experience of medical exam for driving licence (before going to bed). I preferred to separate this and my answers to your questions.
I just remember in case it disappears from my signature that I am Single Sided Deaf from birth (so pre-lingual).
Here is what I remember, but things may have changed since July 2004 when I gave this medical exam (in the meantime, I couldn't give my driving licence because I became ill, but this is clearly another subject than deafness).

So here I am, I had at the beginning to read letters, then to make an urine sample and, at the end, the worst part of this : I am in bra and panties :shock: in front of three people (two doctors and a male nurse) :shock:
So one of the doctors (the male doctor) asks me to sit opposite of him on the chair. I have the time to see the room : white, with empty walls and gosh,with the old brown leatherette chair, the room is looking like if we hadn't renovate it for a long time !!
So the doctor asks me to sit, then asks me a zillon of questions (in the mess) : why are you here (Single Sided Deafness from birth), have you ever had faintness (never), have you ever had epilepsy (never), do you take medicine (a Polaramine (r) once in a while when I have an allergy attack), have you ever had a cranial trauma (yes, when I was at middle school but it didn't have other consequences than some headaches some time to time), do you drink alcohol (never, not even a drop of wine), do you smoke (never).
He tested strabism with his finger (you know, you have to follow his finger with your eyes :P) then he made me some exercises to be sure I have a good balance, then blood pressure, heart and weight, high (I was 1,52m for 46 kg).

Result : full assessment, but they found me some tachycardia from stress, so I have to relax !! :P

DAMN...my driviers license test even though Im so fucken stone deaf...I didnt have to take an exam in front of 50 doctors lol.

All I had to do was declare myself deaf and I was given an examiner who knows deaf drivers inside and out. Bingo I passed my license test both written and driving.

Boy that was 20 years ago.

BTW that was in the state of Tennessee in the USA

Back